Author Topic: Austin Rivers? Should we go after him?  (Read 979 times)

Austin Rivers? Should we go after him?
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Assume Smart is the SG, and he does well as a SG, and that becomes his main position.

Do we go after Rivers next year? Ainge has been interested despite Doc gone.

A lottery pick in 2010, Rivers averaged 6.2 points on 37.2 percent shooting as a rookie. The following year brought only marginal improvements to his numbers: 7.7 and 40.5, respectively.

With that data in hand, the Pelicans declined his team option for the 2015-16 season. Rivers boldly declared he was "going to go out there and play and make them pay for it," per Nakia Hogan of The Times-Picayune.

So far, he is living up to those words.

Through 10 games, he has posted career marks in field-goal (50.9) and three-point (38.5) percentages. He has cut down his turnovers lower than they've ever been (1.6 per 36 minutes). His offensive rating (113) and PER (13.2) have never been greater, and his defensive rating (109) has never been lower.

His plus-6.9 on-court net-efficiency rating leads all Pelicans reserves. And his off-court mark of plus-4.8 is lower than anyone not named Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans or Anthony Davis.

With good handles and a quick first step, Rivers can penetrate a defense with relative ease. More importantly, he's doing a better job of finishing once he gets there. He has converted 63.6 percent of his attempts within 10 feet of the basket, shots he made at only a 42.5 percent clip the past two seasons.

On the strength of Davis' meteoric rise, the Pelicans are trying to position themselves to make a playoff run. But they don't have a lot of depth, and they don't have any of the most efficient perimeter players (both Evans and Eric Gordon have sub-40 field-goal percentages).

New Orleans needs consistent production out of Rivers—even if it will have to pay for it down the road.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:16:28 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Austin Rivers? Should we go after him?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:12:16 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
we can reserve a spot in maine for him. he needs d-league time more than anything. plus we have way too many guards as is.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
we can reserve a spot in maine for him. he needs d-league time more than anything. plus we have way too many guards as is.

Talking about next year... Rivers has talent... If you D-League him the following year, then hes gonna want out...

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:31:45 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

Talking about next year... Rivers has talent... If you D-League him the following year, then hes gonna want out...
he cant make demands with his performance. theres a reason N.o. isnt accepting his 4th year.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:48 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Are we already at that point in the year where people are desperate enough for a ball handling guard that they gleefully overlook the fact that Austin Rivers is pretty bad at basketball?

Let's wait until Thanksgiving, at least.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Are we already at that point in the year where people are desperate enough for a ball handling guard that they gleefully overlook the fact that Austin Rivers is pretty bad at basketball?

Let's wait until Thanksgiving, at least.

Considering the fact I hold onto my seat very tightly whenever ET or AB has the ball in their hands. Yes. Plus Pressey is a great passer, but is like 5'7, and can't score to save his life.

Its just a thought anyways. Here's hoping Love joins the Celtics after continuous games of no touches.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:53 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Austin Rivers is a poor man's Jordan Crawford with the shooting touch of Evan Turner.

And I still think Kevin Love is kinda sucky.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.