Author Topic: We are Boston, we are small  (Read 2914 times)

Re: We are Boston, we are small
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Ainge doesn't seem to understand that size and interior defense is important.

Think about this rationally and leave delusions aside just for a minute.  Do you really think that there is any aspect of basketball that you understand and Danny Ainge doesn't?  Really? 

He makes his decisions based on a myriad of variables that you aren't privvy to and don't need to consider because you are actually not the GM of the Celtics and your job doesn't depend on your player decisions.   He also deals in a draft world where players are all unfinished products and the speculation of how they'll develop is not a precise science.  Every draft pick (read: Greg Oden; Sam Bowie; Len Bias) is a crap shoot.  Get into lesser talent and the odds are even greater that the player will not pan out.  How many bigs (include Fab Melo, Colton Overson and others) were drafted by teams in the last few years and have not become stars in the league.  Well... almost all of them.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't think it's ever a bad thing to look critically at a GMs signings and picks. And after our second finals appearance it's all been pretty terrible. I am not a fan of bass, terry , trading perk, signing green to that huge deal. However his draft has gotten better, sure melo sucked but sully and KO look like good picks. So for me it's been a mixed bag with Ainge, just hoping he has one more swindle move in him.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I think DA understands the importance of size. Remember when he traded Perk the Cs had both O'neals, KG and Kristic all on the roster. I think DA views drafting bigs as a huge gamble and would rather get them by other means. So fare as celtics GM he has tried to fill this need thru veteran aquasistions (PJ Brown, Shaq, Jermaine)  I dont have time to look into it statistically but it seems like in the draft more teams strike out looking for big guys then going after wing players and PGs. Look at Fab and JJJ both 1st rounders who quickly washed out of the league. DA did draft KO and Sully and while they are night centers they are both big 4s. I think DA felt safe taking the gamble on a free falling Sully do to his high pedegree as a recruit and KO possese such a refiened skill set that his floor was very high. The other issue with going after size is development. Alot of this young bigs are not up to pare with college level skill sets let alone nba skill sets. When you are bigger, longer and more athletic then every opponent you face in college you look good. Then these guys come to NBA and take anywhere from 2-5yrs (to never) to develop enough skill to play in NBA. Even look at D Jordan, he is a very good center but cant shoot foul shots and is a sub pare passer.

I will say that with the amount of picks the Cs have moving forward I hope to see DA start gambling on high ceiling bigs. As a fan I can except the failures with the hopes of hitting on one.

WCS please be their for DA to gamble on!
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think goes for guys who can play regardless of size.   This often gives us an assortment of Tweeners like BBD, Pressey, Sullinger, Oly and AB but sometimes finds us playing these guys at a disadvantage in size or out of position.

We are small and big teams abuse us.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think goes for guys who can play regardless of size.   This often gives us an assortment of Tweeners like BBD, Pressey, Sullinger, Oly and AB but sometimes finds us playing these guys at a disadvantage in size or out of position.

We are small and big teams abuse us.

This is true and I think a product of draft position more so then DA not wanting to draft size.

This years draft is a great example. Given the 6th and 17th picks (two of the highest DA has had) he drafted a bigger then average PG (Smart) and a bigger then average wing (Young). DA has had alot of non lottery picks. The best talent out side the lottery and particularly in the 2nd round is often found in two places. 1. Players undersized for their positions and 2. Euro stash players. DA hasn't been big into the euro stash and has gravitated to the undersized wings and particularly PFs.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

We had Perkins----Why the Hell would we want Gasol-?---let's draft Gabe Pruitt----!!!

UGH...still mad.
Because Gasol was fat and not supposed to be very good.  He was passed on 46 times before he was drafted, so just about every team screwed up the same as Ainge did.

IMO what is truly amazing is that as late as 2008 most GMs continued to snub Euro players. Served them right.
PS I will not even comment on the 'surprise' of NBA commentators about 'how good Mirotic turned out to be'. Europeans played and loved bball before these ignoramus were even born.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Don't worry,
Roy Hibbert will be a Celtic soon enough.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.