Author Topic: The Curse of Oak Island  (Read 22228 times)

The Curse of Oak Island
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Does anyone else watch this show?  Obviously, it's your classic tease program, and the beyond idiotic narrator makes you laugh and roll your eyes at the same time, but at least these guys keep finding artifacts, especially coins.  If you're not familiar with the story, here's a program from the 90s, I think, that will bring you up to speed -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF-TvQRDRHg

What amazes me, beyond the incredible feats of engineering that have baffled treasure hunters now for centuries, is the ineptitude of the guys on the current show - they couldn't even cut down a tree without nearly killing some of their crew/partners.  It was hilarious, lol.  What I don't understand is 1).  how the original location of the money pit has been lost.  Did no one mark it on a map, lol?  2).  When red dye was poured into the hole after the booby traps had been accidentally triggered, water came out on opposite sides of the island through what was later found to be box drains, which is pretty cool, imo.  One company decided to make a coffer dam in one of the coves so that they could properly excavate the drains and hopefully plug them, but a storm wrecked the seawall and that was that.  Why don't the Lagina brothers just do the same thing in both spots where the red dye came out of, dig up the drains, and send in a robot with a camera to find the shaft, and then they can just re-dig everything, in an in-through-the-out-door approach haha? ;) ;D  I don't know, it just doesn't seem too complicated to me, and, given that the hole is obviously a square, I would anticipate that there are at least two other flood tunnels to be found before you get down to the vault, or whatever it is down there.  Personally, I'd expect the unexpected and for everything to go wrong, given the history of the place, but maybe that's just me.  At least we know that the swamp was definitely man made.  Get me up there!!  I'll find yer pirate's booty, yargh, or whatever it is lol.  I don't even care if there's anything down there, just let me fix the booby traps haha ;D.  After all, who wouldn't want to find buried treasure?  Does anyone else have any other ideas and/or theories concerning this mystery?  I'm just curious.

Re: The Curse of Oak Island
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The red dye part is at the 3:20 mark.  Why the guy with dat hair ;D is saying that it was paint is beyond me, when all of the other programs have indicated that it was dye that was poured down the pit, but whatever ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stAnC-qV5Vs

Idk about you guys, but the exit points on that map look man made, or at least that they were modified from their natural state to accommodate such flooding devices. 

Btw, what the narrator says and how he says it at the 4:25 mark is exactly what I'm talking about in terms of making you roll your eyes lol, and that happens multiple times during every episode of the show.  Unbelievable.  Insert facepalm here ;D.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Love the show, well the show is OK but I've read about Oak Island for years and am really intrigued by it.

To answer a couple questions, like how can they lose the money pit.  Because one guy bulldozed a giant swath over the island and then when he found out that wasn't going to work, he had to fill it back in.  They know the general location but other wells were built all over the island trying to miss the bobby traps that flood the pit.  They were all eventually filled back in after the bulldozing so which pit is the money pit?   All the natural markers were bulldozed and coast lines can change from year to year, not to mention over 50 years.

Where the dye came out isn't known now so plugging those up isn't possible.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
The Oak Island Money Pit is one of the best things ever. Modern engineers are clueless about it. There are many theories, but most of them are quite stupid. They usually center around names like Blackbeard, Sir Francis Drake, and William Shakespeare. Great to see someone else has a keen interest too.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Love the show, well the show is OK but I've read about Oak Island for years and am really intrigued by it.

To answer a couple questions, like how can they lose the money pit.  Because one guy bulldozed a giant swath over the island and then when he found out that wasn't going to work, he had to fill it back in.  They know the general location but other wells were built all over the island trying to miss the bobby traps that flood the pit.  They were all eventually filled back in after the bulldozing so which pit is the money pit?   All the natural markers were bulldozed and coast lines can change from year to year, not to mention over 50 years.

Where the dye came out isn't known now so plugging those up isn't possible.

Yeah, I'd seen the parts of these programs where they explained about the bulldozing, it's just that I thought that someone would have decided to write down its coordinates or something, but I guess not.  Can the Laginas not ask for the records and such from that guy?  Somebody's got to have a map lying around somewhere lol ;D.

As for the dye, I don't understand what you're saying there, because it's been documented as to where the drains are.  The 3:36 mark of the second clip indicates that the die exited from the Joudrey's, Smuggler's/Smith's, and South Shore Coves. 

Also, one of the artifacts recovered from the original money pit was a tiny piece of parchment that had evidently been preserved in Mercury, which I guess was a common practice at the time, so isn't there a way to scan for that, with the highest concentration obviously pointing to the whereabouts of the original shaft?  Can you dig it? ;) ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Come to think of it, why bother with the crystal skulls - Oak Island would have been the PERFECT  setting for an Indiana Jones movie.  Of course, I would have preferred it if they hadn't waited until everyone was so old before making the 4th installment in the series.  Sigh.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I've been watching the show also---and sometimes I wonder why....Yes, the Narration is awful(how many times do we have to hear about the guys who died--and who will be next-?)

The Lagina brothers are almost as intelligent as Todd Hoffman from Gold Rush...Two idiots who like to throw their money away, trying to get lucky...If we EVER see something of value besides an old 18th century coin, I will be Shocked---but I still have it set to record every week on my DVR....If they do find the Ark of The Covenant or the Holy Grail---those morons will somehow destroy or lose them.

;)
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:16:56 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Beat LA is the smiliest smiler I've ever seen.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
This is the original 'In Search of...' with Leonard Nimoy.  In technicolor ;) ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mN4YLAm8c

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The Oak Island Money Pit is one of the best things ever. Modern engineers are clueless about it. There are many theories, but most of them are quite stupid. They usually center around names like Blackbeard, Sir Francis Drake, and William Shakespeare. Great to see someone else has a keen interest too.

So what do you think is down there, then?  The Shakespeare thing makes no sense to me, either, although I think the noble you meant to say was Sir Francis Bacon, instead of Drake, right, or am I wrong on that one?  Bacon is the one that keeps popping up, but I've never heard of Drake being involved on any of these programs.  It's very possible that pirates at least knew of it, although I sincerely doubt their ability to sustain an effort of that magnitude required to build the whole thing, just because, well, wouldn't they rather be plunderin' haha?  I don't think that they weren't smart enough to build something like the money pit, as these academics seem to suggest, because pirates were very smart, and they lived as free men on the sea at a time when the entire world was under the thumb of one monarch or another, and they were expert navigators and masters of military strategy, so I'm sure that they could have at least kidnapped an architect or engineer qualified enough to design and build such an elaborate and ingenious system for housing their treasure.  It's been at least 300 years, and no one has gotten to it yet.  These dudes are better than ADT lol.

I mean, it would be awesome if there were lost scrolls, documents, religious artifacts, and/or treasure down there, but I highly doubt that it's the Ark of the Covenant, especially because there is sufficient evidence to suggest that that particular item is in Ethiopia, but who knows.  I saw that on a show once where these priests take care of it in this church-hut thing, but people can't see it because of the radiation or something, but I digress. 

As for the scrolls and/or documents, even if they were preserved in mercury (and I have no idea how that works), by drilling through the cement and 7 inches of wood into the chest(s) where they reside that ultimately yielded that tiny piece of parchment, the hole that has been left has now undoubtedly let the ocean in, so everything is ruined.  The best we could hope for is that they're unreadable, but I doubt it.  Sigh.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 03:00:30 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I've been watching the show also---and sometimes I wonder why....Yes, the Narration is awful(how many times do we have to hear about the guys who died--and who will be next-?)

The Lagina brothers are almost as intelligent as Todd Hoffman from Gold Rush...Two idiots who like to throw their money away, trying to get lucky...If we EVER see something of value besides an old 18th century coin, I will be Shocked---but I still have it set to record every week on my DVR....If they do find the Ark of The Covenant or the Holy Grail---those morons will somehow destroy or lose them.

;)

Sigh.  You're probably right.  Just send some Girl Scouts up there - they'll find it over a weekend, lol.  The ineptitude of all of these treasure hunters over the years is simply astounding.  They could probably just scan the beaches from where the dye came out of (as well as the other ones), locate the point where all of the drains intersect, dig it up, and plug them.  It really doesn't have to be this difficult.  Scan the beach and give me a shovel - I'll find it lol.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 03:02:02 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

As in I use too many emojis?  Haha, I just find that they help to convey tone.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 07:08:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well you know Boston fans are bored , when the hot topic is Oak Island and Bucks rookie player.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:42:36 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I love the show and yes sometimes they seem stupid, not sure why they haven't been looking for the "money pit" the entire time.

I watch the History channel and H2 religiously hahhaha.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

As in I use too many emojis?  Haha, I just find that they help to convey tone.

Just an observation, I don't think you use too many or too few.  ;) ;D