Author Topic: Haywood expiring  (Read 2207 times)

Haywood expiring
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Cavs want to move him and his non guarantee contract. Wonder if Danny should call and see if we could help Cleveland and get more cap room for next year.

Re: Haywood expiring
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Cavs want to move him and his non guarantee contract. Wonder if Danny should call and see if we could help Cleveland and get more cap room for next year.

Source?

If true, I'd be very surprised. A non-guaranteed contract as big as that (in 2015) is a super trade chip.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Hoopshype.com

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yeah, I highly doubt the Cavs want to move him.  He's got a huge amount of value as a non-guaranteed contract next summer, and has a pretty low cap hit this season.  Would love for the C's to get him for contract purposes alone, but I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Source?

If true, I'd be very surprised. A non-guaranteed contract as big as that (in 2015) is a super trade chip.

Agreed.  That contract is their best opportunity to significantly add to their team.

The source material doesn't really suggest that the Cavs are shopping him right now:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/11/due_to_his_contract_situation.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he'd match up nicely with Wallace's deal.  I think the Cavs could use a defensive 3 like him ;)

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Assuming that Love and Lebron remain in Cleveland, the Cavs will be over the cap next season.  They plan on using his unguaranteed contract like a trade exception to absorb a contract from another team.

Imagine that Denver's season gets even worse and they blow it up, including trading Javale McGee and Aaron Afflalo to Cleveland for Haywood's contract, Dion Waiters, and whatever picks they can get out of it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Haywood's contract is extremely valuable. Sure we have assets but we also have plenty of money coming off the books. It wouldn't make sense to use the assets we have just to net more cap room when we have trouble attracting free agents anyway.

Cleveland won't be trading Haywood for young assets and picks they'll be looking to add depth to their lineup. Afflalo is an interesting name to be brought up in this scenario and something I'd watch.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Haywood's contract is extremely valuable. Sure we have assets but we also have plenty of money coming off the books. It wouldn't make sense to use the assets we have just to net more cap room when we have trouble attracting free agents anyway.

Cleveland won't be trading Haywood for young assets and picks they'll be looking to add depth to their lineup. Afflalo is an interesting name to be brought up in this scenario and something I'd watch.

It's moot, because we're not getting Haywood.  But the point of such a contract on the Celtics is that they could then get a max free agent via sign-and-trade sending back little or no guaranteed money, as opposed to an expiring like Wallace, which greatly reduces the compensation to the other team in a sign-and-trade.  Using a sign-and-trade instead of cap room lets you go over the cap and keep other exceptions like the MLE, the BAE, and the two medium-sized trade exceptions we have.  It also lets you use Bird rights in case Green opts out and they want him back.