Author Topic: kelly o and defense  (Read 1892 times)

kelly o and defense
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
kelly made great strides off season in adding muscle if he puts that kind of effort into drills and excersise for lateral movement and vertical-can they make a drastic difference-he looks like he jumps better this season-

Re: kelly o and defense
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:24:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think he certainly is stronger and has better lift but his rotations aren't quite there yet. He still looks like he has to think about where he is supposed to be rather than just instinctually moving there. It should come with time and he should improve on defense.

At this point he needs to realize his defense is marginal at best and compensate by being aggressive on offense. Since where he adds value is offense he needs to realize that if he doesn't attempt to score he doesn't deserve to be on the court.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Man to man defense will never be great.  Team d is above avg. Effort is def above average

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Man to man defense will never be great.  Team d is above avg. Effort is def above average

Footspeed is not good though, KOs and Sully footspeed is just shy of pathetic. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:53:53 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I hope KG comes back to Boston and at least make him an average defender

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
With his improved physique and conditioning, I expected Olynyk to make more a jump defensively than we've seen so far. Disappointed with that.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 12:12:39 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
With his improved physique and conditioning, I expected Olynyk to make more a jump defensively than we've seen so far. Disappointed with that.

He makes,so many stupid touch fouls .   I think he is shy on D.  He has natural offensive instincts.  But he just hasn't developed defensive reaction times and mindset ...to get it done .....a lot of this is again confidence., timing and knowing your opponents .  Eventually you figure out guys you face and do better ....your coaches help you or should .

The defense is painstakingly bad.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Probably the best post defender in the league is Marc Gasol. Granted he is stronger and longer, but he's even slower and more earthbound than Kelly is. He has great footwork and positioning and plays with aggression. 

I'd make Olynyk watch tapes of Gasol play defense 4 hours a day.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
watching olly play defense shows me, as pointed out above, that his man to man defense will never be particularly good. he simply does not have good lateral movement or foot speed. that is why he plays off his man so far.

compounding this is him playing center, that is, the final defense against drives. he simply cannot match up well against faster players.

i would imagine though, that if he were to play pf and there was a credible to good defender at center, olly's defects would be far less glaring.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think even old Perk would make an impact on this team.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is hard to make tissue soft tough.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

He makes,so many stupid touch fouls .   I think he is shy on D.  He has natural offensive instincts.  But he just hasn't developed defensive reaction times and mindset ...to get it done .....a lot of this is again confidence., timing and knowing your opponents .  Eventually you figure out guys you face and do better ....your coaches help you or should .

The defense is painstakingly bad.

He has shied away from tougher defense because he will get called for BS touch fouls and get taken out of the game. It is no wonder his defense has suffered. It is a conundrum.