Author Topic: Winless Sixers force Papa John's to change pizza promotion  (Read 2066 times)

Winless Sixers force Papa John's to change pizza promotion
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:26:18 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but this is when you know you've hit rock bottom ;D.  I don't agree that the 76ers 'forced' Papa John's to do anything, but that's an entirely different discussion.  Still, I thought you guys might find this amusing -

The Philadelphia 76ers are currently courting historical futility. The team's 0-11 start has put them just seven games behind the 2009-10 New Jersey Nets' record for the worst start in NBA history. Given the team's performance so far — an average margin of loss of 16.4 points — no upcoming game looks there for the taking. It's anyone's guess as to when the Sixers will actually end up in the win column.

Now that such a normal NBA goal has been turned into lofty ambition, the team and one of its corporate partners have decided to redefine success. Prior to this season, the Sixers announced a partnership with local Papa John's franchises to offer fans 50 percent off online orders the day following victories. Because the Sixers haven't won a game, Papa John's apparently feels like they're not getting a lot of value from their promotion. So the team now must score 90 points, no matter the result, for fans to get their discount. Check out the photo via Crossing Broad (via Deadspin):

Sixers fans now have a much better chance at getting that much-coveted papajohns.com discount. The team is averaging just 88.6 ppg, worst in the league, but they have scored 90 points in five games and come within three points of the mark on three more occasions. If we opted to define a Sixers win as scoring 90 points, then their 5-6 record with three narrow losses would be good enough for the eighth-best record in the East and hope for a playoff berth. Instead, it will just allow fans to order cheaper Papa John's pizza, which might be the life equivalent of finishing in this terrible conference's final playoff spot.

It's worth noting that the change in this promotion says more about Papa John's than the Sixers. While I'm sure these businesses and their employees have plenty of interest in seeing the Sixers win games on both a professional and personal level, the real issue here isn't the Sixers' performance as much as a company's desire to get the most out of a partnership. Plenty of teams institute promotions that don't require a team to win. If Papa John's and the Sixers had used a point threshold in the initial rules, it would've have been a big deal. Frankly, I'm a little baffled why both parties didn't realize that the team wasn't set to win many games. It's not as if the tanking-friendly front office had designs on ending up in the East's upper half.

Whatever the case, it's nice to see that Philadelphia-area Papa John's customers will have a chance to save some money. I just hope they're not planning their diets around the performance of the Sixers.

Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:55:01 PM by Beat LA »

Re: Winless Sixers force Papa John's to change pizza promotion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:05 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah pretty pathetic. Tanking is not pretty. Hard to see this severe level of losing really paying off. Yikes.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:04:24 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Definitely interesting, but it makes me wonder about 2 things:

1)  What kind of insane profit margin do they have if they can offer 50% off of all online pizza orders for an entire day.  If the Sixers had gone 30-52 then there would have been 30 days of this.

2)  I actually don't understand why they changed the promotion! Like the Sixers losing streak last year, the fact that they haven't won a game yet is drawing more and more attention.  I'd think that the suspense and national following towards the Sixers trying to win their first game would benefit the original Papa John's promotion.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Definitely interesting, but it makes me wonder about 2 things:

1)  What kind of insane profit margin do they have if they can offer 50% off of all online pizza orders for an entire day.  If the Sixers had gone 30-52 then there would have been 30 days of this.

Frankly that was the first thing that entered my mind when I read 50% off......wow ....that could be load of pizza too!   So a Pizza must be costing like 2.00 to make..wow

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah pretty pathetic. Tanking is not pretty. Hard to see this severe level of losing really paying off. Yikes.

I'm excited for the arguments in support of Philly's strategy to change from comparisons with teams that bottomed out at 20-25 wins to "Well, I suppose the 72-73 Sixers must've been 'tanking' too, huh?!?"

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
And here I thought that Obamacare was the only obstacle for Papa John's to overcome in order to keep making money and employing people full time (sarcasm) ::).  What a dumb company, but they certainly provide quite the entertainment value lol ;D.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The Sixers just scored 96 points, so the pizza is half off tomorrow!
Of course the Sixers gave up 22 points to the Suns at home with no Suns starter logging more than 22 minutes.  SMH.  They are so awful.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The Sixers just scored 96 points, so the pizza is half off tomorrow!
Of course the Sixers gave up 22 points to the Suns at home with no Suns starter logging more than 22 minutes.  SMH.  They are so awful.

Um, hello, isn't that all that matters (sarcasm)? ;D  I know I've said this before, and probably one too many times, but does anyone else remember that game in Chicago before KG and Ray came here?  We were getting our butts kicked, but the United Center was packed, hoping that the Bulls would score 100 points, and Mike Gorman was priceless as always, "so it's come down to this - playing for a Big Mac," smh.  I'll never forget that, and they did get their burgers, but that's just embarrassing for the sport, quite honestly lol.  Still, it wasn't nearly as bad as when the crowd at the garden started chanting MVP for KOBE :o.  Pierce was out, and he hated it.  I know we were terrible, but come on, man.  It's Boston.