Poll

Is Flip Saunders' Conservative approach to team management effective?

Yes, a GM should try to be stingy with the team's assests and avoid being a part of too many deals. (No dealing for the sake of dealing)
2 (33.3%)
No, a rebuilding team needs a GM that's open to exploring roster improvement through player movement. (If your not moving forward your moving backwards)
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Minnesota views Corey Brewer as "Too Valuable" to trade (Poll)  (Read 4235 times)

Minnesota views Corey Brewer as "Too Valuable" to trade (Poll)
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:01:29 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235630/Saunders-Believes-Brewer-Too-Vauable-To-Trade

Flip Saunders is telling teams that Corey Brewer is too valuable to trade. Is anyone buying that he's not just trying to drive up the price with unrealistic claims?

"He's just too valuable to us to move" - Flip Saunders

Do statements like this make Flip Saunders come across as difficult to deal with? It's hard to even suggest that considering the haul he got for Kevin Love, but is it in a rebuilding team's best interest to drag out every deal with nothing guaranteed but a lengthy brutal negotiation?

Corey Brewer is one of the most movable asset a team could imagine. A 3 point shooting durable wing that thrives in transition all on a fair contract. Most of the teams in the league have a use for a Corey Brewer. Conversely from the Wolves' Perspective there's no incentive to sell fast. After all you only just traded for his successor, a younger, more talented version of the coveted player. Let Andrew Wiggins learn some veteran tricks and understanding of the system from Brewer and then you can sell him off later when Wiggins is ready to take over the spot.

By making statements like the above does Saunders scare potential suitors away from the tables by posturing before the negotiations even begin? Is his conservative, ring out every penny, approach to team building effective or would they benefit from a more open minded decision maker?

:Edit: Somebody around here has that quote about how dealing with Saunders is like playing chess with a Pigeon who craps all over the board and screams that "he wins!". I feel the same way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:09:39 AM by Smartacus »

Re: Minnesota views Corey Brewer as "Too Valuable" to trade (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Flip Saunders is telling teams that Corey Brewer is too valuable to trade. Is anyone buying that he's not just trying to drive up the price with unrealistic claims?

Do statements like this make Flip Saunders come across as difficult to deal with? It's hard to even say that considering the haul he got for Kevin Love, but is it in a rebuilding team's best interest to drag out every deal with nothing guaranteed but a lengthy brutal negotiation?

Corey Brewer is one of the most movable asset a team could imagine. A 3 point shooting durable wing that thrives in transition all on a fair contract. Most of the teams in the league have a use for a Corey Brewer. Conversely from the Wolves' Perspective there's no incentive to sell fast. After all you only just traded for his successor, a younger, more talented version of the coveted player. Let Andrew Wiggins learn some veteran tricks and understanding of the system from Brewer and then you can sell him off later when Wiggins is ready to take over the spot.

By making statements like the above does Saunders scare potential suitors away from the tables by posturing before the negotiations even begin? Is his conservative, ring out every penny, approach to team building effective or would they benefit from a more open minded decision maker?

:Edit: Somebody around here has that quote about how dealing with Saunders is like playing chess with a Pigeon who craps all over the board and screams that "he wins!". I feel the same way.

I would think that no suitors are scared away by articles where GM's blow smoke. Scott Boras is full of crap and continues to thrive. At the end of the day I'd guess front offices hold almost no regard for any team's posturing through the press. Saunders got a good return for Love, but that was more due to circumstance than trickery or chicanery.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:18 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Your poll question troubles me. The way you phrase the first option it seems like you're contrasting a GM handing out assets to contenders and a GM that is open to discussing reasonable trade opportunities. Can't you do both at the same time?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:33:09 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
And here I thought that this was going to be a story from The Onion ;) ;D, and I'm deeply upset (sarcasm) that this isn't the case ;D.  Corey Brewer, really?  One of two answers to the question of, "who had the most unanticipated 50+ point game in NBA history?"  The other answer is Tony Delk, btw ;D.  Seriously, that came out of nowhere haha.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Your poll question troubles me. The way you phrase the first option it seems like you're contrasting a GM handing out assets to contenders and a GM that is open to discussing reasonable trade opportunities. Can't you do both at the same time?

I see your point and your right both should be possible. Changed around the wording to clarify not sure if that's right either it's a bit of a strange concept.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I can see where Flip is coming from and after the haul he scored for Love I can't question his tactics. The way their rotation is currently constructed Brewer is playing backup to the 2 and 3. They are giving him a solid 23 mpg. Like previously stated he is a great player for wiggins to learn from as wiggins is essentially the same player with more physical talent. I expect the wolves to ride things out till the deadline before making any moves. I think they legit want to give this team a chance to win first. They have a nice core of vets with Martin, Young, Brewer and Williams to try to bring along the young core Wiggins,Rubio, Lavine and Dieng without suffering phili style loosing.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:57:39 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
And here I thought that this was going to be a story from The Onion ;) ;D, and I'm deeply upset (sarcasm) that this isn't the case ;D.  Corey Brewer, really?  One of two answers to the question of, "who had the most unanticipated 50+ point game in NBA history?"  The other answer is Tony Delk, btw ;D.  Seriously, that came out of nowhere haha.

I'll give you one even more obscure... Willie Burton.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Flip Saunders also went on record right after the season ended as saying that Kevin Love hadn't asked for a trade and thus wouldn't be traded.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If Corey Brewer is "too valuable" trade, then Jeff Green must be "untouchable". :P

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Someone let the DEA know they should be searching the T Wolves office
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is just GM speak for we aren't giving him away, so if you want him make a real offer with value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'll give you one even more obscure... Willie Burton.

Tracy Murray.  Not a misspelling of "McGrady".  And Dana Barros but he's not really obscure in Boston.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Dumb.  No chance of making the playoffs, trade him to Houston or even LA.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I would say Corey Brewer is pretty solid asset beside a 19 year old.  He's probably been teaching Wiggins some things about NBA defense, as well as the right way to fit into an offense as a glue guy.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
If Corey Brewer is "too valuable" trade, then Jeff Green must be "untouchable". :P
I have been watching Corey in a summer camp here in Florida for the past couple seasons.  To my untrained eye, his style is very similar to Green.  seems like a really nice guy and a hard worker...the kind you would want on your team.  he is still young, is healthy, and is still improving.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!