Author Topic: Can you win a title with Chris Bosh as your best player?  (Read 4845 times)

Can you win a title with Chris Bosh as your best player?
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Just curious as to what people think about Bosh as an alpha dog. My answer: yes.

With regards to us... what's the likelihood of Riley fielding offers for Bosh if Wade can't nurse himself back to full health? What would a fair offer look like? Could we put one together?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Can you win a title with Chris Bosh as your best player?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Isn't Chris Bosh recently tied down?

Why would Riley cough him up?

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:43:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No.  Bosh is very good but in his prime, at his best, is he even in the same league as KG or Dirk?

I guess you could put together a Detroit Pistons-type team with enough overall talent around Bosh, but I don't think that is what you mean.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Isn't Chris Bosh recently tied down?

Why would Riley cough him up?

Obviously he's not aggressively shopping him, but Riley might soon find himself in the same situation DA was a couple of years ago with a bona fide star (Rondo/Bosh) surrounded by aging talent. The only difference is that it's unlikely they'd get enough assets for Wade to use in a trade for a star to pair with Bosh.

At that point, Riley wouldn't be actively looking to dump Bosh (just like DA isn't looking to actively dump Rondo), but if an offer comes in that's good enough, wouldn't he at least consider it?

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Bosh is a really weak big man. No , no chance of winning a title with him as the # 1 option . He is a number 3 option at best ,and a level below Rondo, who is a level below Lebron .

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Bosh is a really weak big man. No , no chance of winning a title with him as the # 1 option . He is a number 3 option at best ,and a level below Rondo, who is a level below Lebron .

You could easily win with him as your second best player. You might be able to win with him as your best player if you surround him with a great supporting cast.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

You could easily win with him as your second best player. You might be able to win with him as your best player if you surround him with a great supporting cast.

Agreed, but if you're going to trade for a guy who'll be 31 in May, you need to be in 'Going for it now' mode. On top of that, Bosh is making a TON of money over the next several years. The Suns seem like a team on the verge that would make sense to trade assets to go with what they have to put them over the top, but would Sarver pay the price?

I'd give up considerable assets for Bosh, but it'd have to be in conjunction with other moves where I felt we had a contender on paper.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm not sure, but I couldn't stomach the thought of him in green after all of those bitter games between Boston and Miami over the years.  That's probably just me, though, but back to your question - he has taken, and made, a number of huge shots in the postseason, so that tells me that he at least is willing to take them, and not many guys want to do that.  On the other hand, he would need to be play next to a defensively-oriented big man like Hibbert to cover his shortcomings, because he's never been a shotblocker (no matter what the numbers say.  When you think of Bosh, you don't think of defense of any kind lol.  At least I don't.), dominant rebounder or defender like KG was when he came here.  Either way, though, Miami's going to find out this year and down the road after giving him that max deal.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No. It's the same with Rondo as your best player.

Both need to play with a finisher on the court

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
you could, but it would have to be a Spurs-esque type time where he's a top 10 player ala Tim Duncan last season, surrounded by other All Star caliber players.

ie:

Bosh
Rondo
Hibbert

or

Bosh
Rondo
Harden

would be amazing

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not sure, but I couldn't stomach the thought of him in green after all of those bitter games between Boston and Miami over the years.  That's probably just me, though, but back to your question - he has taken, and made, a number of huge shots in the postseason, so that tells me that he at least is willing to take them, and not many guys want to do that.  On the other hand, he would need to be play next to a defensively-oriented big man like Hibbert to cover his shortcomings, because he's never been a shotblocker (no matter what the numbers say.  When you think of Bosh, you don't think of defense of any kind lol.  At least I don't.), dominant rebounder or defender like KG was when he came here.  Either way, though, Miami's going to find out this year and down the road after giving him that max deal.

Indeed they are.

Agreed, but if you're going to trade for a guy who'll be 31 in May, you need to be in 'Going for it now' mode. On top of that, Bosh is making a TON of money over the next several years. The Suns seem like a team on the verge that would make sense to trade assets to go with what they have to put them over the top, but would Sarver pay the price?

I'd give up considerable assets for Bosh, but it'd have to be in conjunction with other moves where I felt we had a contender on paper.

I have a feeling that third deal comes a lot easier when you already have two of the three stars on your roster. I'm not suggesting he's available in any way or saying he's the guy we should go after, but let's use Joe Johnson as an example. If he became available today it's hard to imagine Ainge going after him because he wouldn't put us over the top and costs a lot (asset-wise and financially). If we had Rondo and Bosh though, it's likely he'd try to net Johnson as the third star. A lot of it comes down to motivation. With Rondo/Bosh on board, we'd go after any star that came on the market.

you could, but it would have to be a Spurs-esque type time where he's a top 10 player ala Tim Duncan last season, surrounded by other All Star caliber players.

ie:

Bosh
Rondo
Hibbert

or

Bosh
Rondo
Harden

would be amazing

Smart developing quicker than expected wouldn't hurt.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:25 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think if the Knicks don't make any moves in the upcoming FA season, and they do okay, Melo may request a trade.

I feel like Melo was going to leave this year, but stayed cause of Phil. That was Dolan's saving grace.

I would like to see a team of Rondo, Melo and Smith team up. If we could pursue someone like Asik or Sanders this year, it would set us up for whatever roster needs.

Would love to see Pierce/KG come off the bench/vet min if we did so.

Isn't realistic but I have a team on 2K15 lol.

Rondo/Pressey(cheap.)
Martin/Young
Melo/Pierce
Smith/Garnett/Reggie Evans
Asik/Perkins/Joel Anthony

12-3 on HoF currently.

I think if we set out to contend next year, would love see Perkins/KG/Pierce and even Ray Allen back for vet mins. A bench is still important.

___

No.

Bosh reminds me of a less skilled and inferior shooting Dirk. Bosh doesn't have any post moves and doesn't have a patented go to move. Dirk? You could build and you still can right now. You would need microwave/spark plug players ahd a strong defensive team that has experience. Bosh can be a first option, but doesn't scream champion to me.
To answer your question...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Mods any chance you can change the name to "Stars to pair with Rondo?"

I think if the Knicks don't make any moves in the upcoming FA season, and they do okay, Melo may request a trade.

I feel like Melo was going to leave this year, but stayed cause of Phil. That was Dolan's saving grace.

I would like to see a team of Rondo, Melo and Smith team up. If we could pursue someone like Asik or Sanders this year, it would set us up for whatever roster needs.

Rondo/Pressey(cheap.)
Martin/Young
Melo/Pierce

12-3 on HoF currently.

I think if we set out to contend next year, would love see Perkins/KG/Pierce and even Ray Allen back for vet mins. A bench is still important.

___

No.

Bosh reminds me of a less skilled and inferior shooting Dirk. Bosh doesn't have any post moves and doesn't have a patented go to move. Dirk? You could build and you still can right now. You would need microwave/spark plug players ahd a strong defensive team that has experience. Bosh can be a first option, but doesn't scream champion to me.

This is dreaming, but Rondo/Melo/Bosh would be sweet. We'd have to give up Smart and Young and dig into our pick stash, but it'd be well worth it.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:01 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Rondo/Pressey(cheap.)
Martin/Young
Melo/Pierce

12-3 on HoF currently.

___

No.

This is dreaming, but Rondo/Melo/Bosh would be sweet. We'd have to give up Smart and Young and dig into our pick stash, but it'd be well worth it.

I'm not saying it's ridiculous, but depending on Rondo's extension, that might be around 70 mil on three players, who arguably still fall short of Cleveland and Chicago's roster.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 12:46:06 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Rondo/Pressey(cheap.)
Martin/Young
Melo/Pierce

12-3 on HoF currently.

___

No.

I'm not saying it's ridiculous, but depending on Rondo's extension, that might be around 70 mil on three players, who arguably still fall short of Cleveland and Chicago's roster.

With the cap's projected rise that's a lot less than it seems like right now. $70 million with an $80 million hard cap isn't much more limiting than when we spent like $55 million on the Big Three with a $67 million hard cap.

How much of a pay cut would Rondo take if Ainge told him he had a deal in place for a max guy this summer?