Author Topic: Celtics (4-6) at Grizzlies (10-2) Game #11 11/21/14  (Read 34877 times)

Re: Celtics (4-6) at Grizzlies (10-2) Game #11 11/21/14
« Reply #255 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grizz are a way better team.

Thoughts on game

1) Sully talked crap to Randolph in the early third quarter and was destroyed and benched for a long time.   He bombed away to boost his stat line in the fourth.  But had a nice series of plays on Gasol for a two minute stretch on D.   The game was over then and all Gasol was trying to do was tie his high.  7 of his points came in non garbage time.   He came up against two all stars and was lacking but still the best big we had by a long shot.  Can we stop the Borderline Allstar talk,  we have no stars.

2)  KO nice offensive game in the second half but vanished later.   Got owned on D.  As good as he was on offensive, the Grizz big men scored at will save one nice block KO had.

3) Zeller had a midling game, he played not very good and not real bad.  I liked his offensive rebounding as he had four.

4) Rondo did look like he would rather be playing connect four.   Very poor game.

5) Uncle Jeff must have forgot it was  a contract year.   Green has been consistent up to now but not tonight.   He did attack the hole some and I liked that.   Playing against Prince is never easy.

6)   I feel like we over paid for AB.   Nothing flashy and lackluster D.

We really need Marcus Smart back, our toughness vanished when he got hurt.  His effort was contagious.

I thought the whole team quit tonight for a period in the third quarter.  Stevens looked as flustered as I have seen him.  We could be looking at 5-10 or 4 -11 very soon as a record.

I am not real certain anyone not named Smart will be on the team long term.   I think DA should make a deal.  Prefer one for a rim protector.   This was a game that was not fun to watch for the first time this season as the effort was not there.

« Reply #256 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

1.  If Stevens doesn't take the green light away from some players to shoot the three, he's an idiot.

He is not an idiot but incompetent to coach a professional NBA team. Have you seen him to make any significant move to change the direction of the game in any game in these 2 seasons? No...This is more than evident now...In fact is not Stevens guilty why he is coaching the team but mostly who put him to coach Cs... ???

« Reply #257 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Celtics played well tonight. The tank is preserved and Rondo is still looking every bit like a role player. Rondo is not a star player in the NBA. I'm hoping Ainge trades him quick. Nice win for the tank though!

Rondo had a terrible game.   But he isn't a role player.  Has there been  a role player in NBA history who averaged 10/8/12 over  a 10 game period?    Rondo will look great next game and the Rondo supporters will be out of the shadows again.   

Man, I don't know. I'm as big of a Rondo supporter as there is, but he is just so depressing to watch some times. He just refuses to score the ball, and I think he's a much better scorer than he shows. And he won't change now. He's also progressively lost a step on defense. He is consistently beat off the dribble every night. I don't know. I just don't know if he's the right person for our team right now, especially with a future star in Smart on the bench.

This part for sure. Far too many times I see him not fight through screens, try for the reach around steal, or simply not move his feet. I don't think he's lost a step, I think it's just effort. Defense is primarily effort. I've also noticed that he's usually covering 2's now, perhaps it's that the coaching staff had noticed the same thing.

I think that is them trying to make the best use of Avery Bradley's defensive ability on PGs.

Rondo asked to sacrifice and play tougher defensive position for him so that Bradley's defensive ability on PGs gets utilized.

« Reply #258 on: November 21, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

1.  If Stevens doesn't take the green light away from some players to shoot the three, he's an idiot.

He is not an idiot but incompetent to coach a professional NBA team. Have you seen him to make any significant move to change the direction of the game in any game in these 2 seasons? No...This is more than evident now...In fact is not Stevens guilty why he is coaching the team but mostly who put him to coach Cs... ???

I thought there were quite a few games last year when Stevens' changes helped Celtics turn games around.

Not so much this year though. Schedule is very unkind though. Celtics losing games one would expect them to lose. Schedule will improve in December.

« Reply #259 on: November 21, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Right now we are a lock for a top ten Lott pick
I don't think we are bad enough to get a decent pick. And if we aren't good enough this year, we lose Rondo to free agency. I think we are in the worst case possible.

« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Celtics played well tonight. The tank is preserved and Rondo is still looking every bit like a role player. Rondo is not a star player in the NBA. I'm hoping Ainge trades him quick. Nice win for the tank though!

Rondo had a terrible game.   But he isn't a role player.  Has there been  a role player in NBA history who averaged 10/8/12 over  a 10 game period?    Rondo will look great next game and the Rondo supporters will be out of the shadows again.   

Man, I don't know. I'm as big of a Rondo supporter as there is, but he is just so depressing to watch some times. He just refuses to score the ball, and I think he's a much better scorer than he shows. And he won't change now. He's also progressively lost a step on defense. He is consistently beat off the dribble every night. I don't know. I just don't know if he's the right person for our team right now, especially with a future star in Smart on the bench.

This part for sure. Far too many times I see him not fight through screens, try for the reach around steal, or simply not move his feet. I don't think he's lost a step, I think it's just effort. Defense is primarily effort. I've also noticed that he's usually covering 2's now, perhaps it's that the coaching staff had noticed the same thing.

I think that is them trying to make the best use of Avery Bradley's defensive ability on PGs.

Rondo asked to sacrifice and play tougher defensive position for him so that Bradley's defensive ability on PGs gets utilized.
Yeah, I think it's less about hiding Rondo, who I think is stronger than Bradley, and more about maximizing Bradley's effect on opposing point guards.

« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, I think it's less about hiding Rondo, who I think is stronger than Bradley, and more about maximizing Bradley's effect on opposing point guards.

Bradley is not playing the great elite D since he began looking for his shot more.

« Reply #262 on: November 21, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I thought of that too. Perhaps it's a combination of both though. Because against Houston it was Bradley covering Harden, not Rondo. Bradley usually gets the tougher cover, but mostly it's the PGs because there are so many really good ones.

« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't think we are bad enough to get a decent pick. And if we aren't good enough this year, we lose Rondo to free agency. I think we are in the worst case possible.

I agree.    We really need a top three pick minimum .....and if we re that bad Rondo will leave .

We have no center ...Zeller could be a nice 2 or 3 backup ......we will,have nothing till Danny gets a big center to build around.

Really is on Danny  plate ....to get the team righted with  center ....it's been too long .....since we have had a decent center .

Resigning Bradley was a huge mistake.

« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2014, 11:03:03 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69

I agree.    We really need a top three pick minimum .....and if we re that bad Rondo will leave .

We have no center ...Zeller could be a nice 2 or 3 backup ......we will,have nothing till Danny gets a big center to build around.

Really is on Danny  plate ....to get the team righted with  center ....it's been too long .....since we have had a decent center .

Can't be said enough.

« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I thought there were quite a few games last year when Stevens' changes helped Celtics turn games around.

Not so much this year though. Schedule is very unkind though. Celtics losing games one would expect them to lose. Schedule will improve in December.

Boston has played 8 of 11 games against teams that were in the playoffs last season, as well as Phoenix and Cleveland.  In that 11 games, there was really only one (OKC) they absolutely should have won and didn't.  You've got to give them a chance and see what they can do against less insanely tough schedule.

Mike

« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I think we end up with the 10th pick. I agree with needing a center. If we can get Gasol then Rondo stays or we prob end up losing Rondo and end up in total rebuild mode.

« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2014, 12:01:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Appears to me that the first unit dribbles the ball to much with no movement.  The second unit has more flow and less one on one play.  I think the second unit is playing better....at least they are tonight.
perhaps. but that doesnt mitigate the fact that both the first and second unit are bad.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva