Author Topic: The Evan Turner chronicles  (Read 1478 times)

The Evan Turner chronicles
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
So appears as if pressey is going to be getting point guard minutes that were previously turners (and injured smarts).  So even with pressey being 3'6" not having the best outside shot and being a bit of a defensive liability things look good.  Evan turner looked like a do it all great pick up in preseason, a guy who would garner sixth man of year votes!?
So far in regular season shows signs of having Paul pierces mid range game, turnovers of tony Allen , defense of a Spanish matador and three point shooting  ::).  So the celtics have a well oiled offensive team (turners supposed strength) but are lacking on defensive end.  On our bench is a savy vet who is an excellent defender, handles the ball well with no silly turnovers and can fill a rondo lane a few steps behind Jeff green  :o.   Yes Wallace has no outside game but everything else is top notch, defense being very good.
So at what point does Gerald Wallace get those backup sf minutes?

Sorry I don't know how to put in poll

Re: The Evan Turner chronicles
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Fuel for tank discussion fodder aka developing youth.  Wallace would help them win some games this year, but he is a known commodity whose trade value depends little on how well he's playing.  Nothing much to gain by playing him (besides maybe winning a few games). 
Yup

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:53:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Instead of "New Topic" select "New Poll".

Turner seems like what we thought he was - a talented player who is extremely erratic and makes a lot of mental mistakes.  Problem is it seems like Bad ET shows up more and more often as he's asked to play smaller roles.  That's not a great recipe for helping the team much, or getting traded for someone who will.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
So appears as if pressey is going to be getting point guard minutes that were previously turners (and injured smarts).  So even with pressey being 3'6" not having the best outside shot and being a bit of a defensive liability things look good.  Evan turner looked like a do it all great pick up in preseason, a guy who would garner sixth man of year votes!?
So far in regular season shows signs of having Paul pierces mid range game, turnovers of tony Allen , defense of a Spanish matador and three point shooting  ::).  So the celtics have a well oiled offensive team (turners supposed strength) but are lacking on defensive end.  On our bench is a savy vet who is an excellent defender, handles the ball well with no silly turnovers and can fill a rondo lane a few steps behind Jeff green  :o.   Yes Wallace has no outside game but everything else is top notch, defense being very good.
So at what point does Gerald Wallace get those backup sf minutes?

i am not sure how a poll would be possible based upon this post. it is really a tough read.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I have grown to dislike Turner so far this year.  I really came in rather optimistic.  He does get near the rim which is useful to our team but otherwise he overdribbles, and doesn't do much well besides midrange at times.  He is a pretty bad passer and often leaves his feet and makes big mistakes.  He is frustrating to watch and I feel like Stevens is seeing something I am not.  I would rather Olynyk run more of an offense than Turner.  And just put Thornton out there who is flat out a better scorer and can shoot threes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Turner is much better as a secondary ball handler
 I actually prefer him when he's on the court with Rondo. He plays more controlled.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I have grown to dislike Turner so far this year.  I really came in rather optimistic.  He does get near the rim which is useful to our team but otherwise he overdribbles, and doesn't do much well besides midrange at times.  He is a pretty bad passer and often leaves his feet and makes big mistakes.  He is frustrating to watch and I feel like Stevens is seeing something I am not.  I would rather Olynyk run more of an offense than Turner.  And just put Thornton out there who is flat out a better scorer and can shoot threes.

While I agree that he often leaves his feet before making up his mind as to what to do next, which is a cardinal sin for anyone, lol, I don't agree that he's a bad passer.  I actually really like his passing ability, and he's made a number of great plays for other guys so far this season, but I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree on that, and that's okay :).  I would like to see him in the post when he's being guarded by a smaller player, because he can definitely score down there, and I also wish that he was in in the closing moments of those close contests, because he's the only guy who can create his own shot.  I'm not saying he's perfect, but it's nice to check the boxscore and see that we have a guy coming off the bench who can pick up right where Rondo left off when he sits down, so seeing a guy finish with 8-10 points, 4-5 rebounds, and 4-6 assists is pretty sick, and an all around effort.  He's like a swiss army knife, which is perfect for the role of a 6th man, imo.  He's also drastically cut down on his turnovers over the past few games, which is a good sign.  The only thing that bugs me is how Stevens keeps having him guard the opponents' point guard, whoever it is, because that's a nightmare, defensively, haha.