Author Topic: Look at this joke of an article about Carmelo  (Read 6308 times)

Look at this joke of an article about Carmelo
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11904296/new-york-knicks-forward-carmelo-anthony-wants-bulletproof-reputation

He's just such a clown. The most overrated "star" of all time has announced that he wants to be a "cultural icon". Give me a break... he should try winning a bit more before he opens his mouth

Re: Look at this joke of an article about Carmelo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
being a spokesperson for Honey Nut Cheerios

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11904296/new-york-knicks-forward-carmelo-anthony-wants-bulletproof-reputation

He's just such a clown. The most overrated "star" of all time has announced that he wants to be a "cultural icon". Give me a break... he should try winning a bit more before he opens his mouth

He's a top five player in the game. He does win when he has the slightest semblance of talent around him. Stop it with this nonsense, unless you would've said the same thing about Paul Pierce, KG and Ray Allen circa 2006.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I can't hate on Carmelo Anthony.

He changed my perception of him last season. He shut his mouth, put his head down, and put up an increase in numbers in nearly every statistical category.

I was certain he would bolt NY, but he didn't. He is serious about his legacy, and he is giving Phil Jackson and NY a chance. If he can win in NY, he cements his HOF status.

If you win or compete in LA, BOS, or NY - you make a name for yourself. Melo is at least trying. NY is about hype, tradition, showtime East....can't fault the man for playing the part.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He changed my perception of him last season. He shut his mouth, put his head down, and put up an increase in numbers in nearly every statistical category.

One of the many odd things about Anthony's career is that as the team around him's gotten worse and worse, he's started playing the best basketball of his career.  And not just in a volume way, but with more efficiency - the advanced stats have him at or near career highs over the past couple of seasons.  Put Carmelo at his current level on some of those Billups Nuggets teams and they could be very dangerous, even out West.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:49:10 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

One of the many odd things about Anthony's career is that as the team around him's gotten worse and worse, he's started playing the best basketball of his career.  And not just in a volume way, but with more efficiency - the advanced stats have him at or near career highs over the past couple of seasons.  Put Carmelo at his current level on some of those Billups Nuggets teams and they could be very dangerous, even out West.

I think it was a dangerous team - they made it the conference finals as a 2nd seed but lost to LA.

I've always liked Carmelo and I think he gets a tough rap. He can score like nobody's business and can hit the boards hard when he wants. And although he's not a lockdown defender, he's improved.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
I think this article about Melo is not doing any service for him. The focus is on money and luxury. He says he likes money, but then says it's not the most important thing, then says who has the most money has the power. He talks about legacy beyond basketball. Why? You can't even accomplished your ultimate goal, winning a championship. He should be more focused on basketball if he really wants to win, not his off court legacy. It seems to me that basketball is just a tool for him to be successful in the world and not a lifelong dream.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Who's to say that winning a championship is his ultimate goal? And why should it be?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:15:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Come to Boston... A team of Rondo, J-Smoove and Anthony with a decent C, and winning a championship will bring forth your legacy.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Come to Boston... A team of Rondo, J-Smoove and Anthony with a decent C, and winning a championship will bring forth your legacy.

And a gallon of Maalox for Coach Stevens before every game.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

He's a top five player in the game. He does win when he has the slightest semblance of talent around him. Stop it with this nonsense, unless you would've said the same thing about Paul Pierce, KG and Ray Allen circa 2006.

Melo is currently my favorite player to watch in the league, with Kobe and Rondo right behind him. I've defended him for awhile but these past two seasons but, IMO, I have to take him out of the "top 5 player" discussions. Maybe he lost the drive of his early seasons where he never missed the playoffs, these past few years he cannot carry his team to the 8th seed in a weak east.

Maybe he should stop "planning for life after the NBA" and "try to win some [dang] games"
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

And a gallon of Maalox for Coach Stevens before every game.  ;D

As much as we claim Melo is a black hole, Melo is a career 3.1 APG. Consider Gay/Pierce is 3.4 and 2.2, I think Melo can play into a motion offense, and probably benefit greatly from it. J-Smoove is also a career 3.2 APG.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think this article about Melo is not doing any service for him. The focus is on money and luxury. He says he likes money, but then says it's not the most important thing, then says who has the most money has the power. He talks about legacy beyond basketball. Why? You can't even accomplished your ultimate goal, winning a championship. He should be more focused on basketball if he really wants to win, not his off court legacy. It seems to me that basketball is just a tool for him to be successful in the world and not a lifelong dream.
I agree.  His attitude seems more Jay-Z than Michael Jordan.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Who's to say that winning a championship is his ultimate goal?

Actually, that's  exactly what he himself claims. In his own words, "It's not about the money. It's about the legacy."

And why should it be?

It's fine, actually it's admirable, to have other goals outside of basketball. But if I'm any team thinking about paying or trading for a guy that's primed to make $20 million a year, I only want the guy whose sole purpose in life is to go for that championship.

You know why PP, KG and Ray meshed so well immediately upon their coming together in Boston? Because each and every one of them had the mentality that they would do ANYTHING for a championship. That's why they busted their asses on defense; that's why Ray let his numbers drop without saying a single word about it; that's why they shared the ball from the get-go as unselfishly as any 20ppg players ever have. And it worked. Those are the kinds of guys I want on my team.

Not some guy who is going to cut corners because he cares less about basketball than he does about winning. As a fan, I don't want a player who is going to do that. Just like I don't want bench players who are going to whine about it and not accept their role. Just like I want a coach who would rather coach than simply be well-liked (which was one of my biggest gripes with Doc).  In short, I want a team of winners. Carmelo doesn't have that mentality, pure and simple.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Who's to say that winning a championship is his ultimate goal?

Actually, that's  exactly what he himself claims. In his own words, "It's not about the money. It's about the legacy."

And where in that quote did he say anything about his legacy being defined by the number of his rings?  In fact, in the article, he clearly says (repeatedly, even) that he doesn't want his legacy defined by just what he did in basketball, i.e. whether or not he was a winner.  That's even the whole point of the piece -- he wants to be remembered as something more than a basketball player.

For the record, I agree that the ESPN article doesn't do him many favors for the simple fact that he just signed for over $120 million a few months ago, yet is expressing that he's not fully concerned with winning a championship (while bringing up on several occasions that he was really, really, really close to leaving New York ["no, seriously, guys, I was"]).  But if he's fine without winning a championship, that's his prerogative.  He shouldn't be immune to criticism for it, but he doesn't personally have to consider an NBA title the ultimate barometer of success for his own life.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:39:19 PM by Endless Paradise »