Poll

POLL: If we could get Josh Smith on the cheap, would you trade for him if you were Ainge?

Yes
25 (32.5%)
No
52 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?  (Read 21524 times)

Re: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would have loved to have added him to Pierce and KG and Rondo. I really wanted that to happen. Our lineup in 2013 would have been:

Rondo
AB
Pierce
Smith
KG

that would have been very fun to watch.

Now I want no part of Smith. He is a worse player now, on a long deal for more than he's worth, seemingly uncoachable and has some of the worst body language in the league. This will tell you how much I don't want Smith. I wouldn't do him straight up for Wallace. That is how bad I think he's be in our locker room despite being a far superior player to Wallace. We don't have vets to manage that stress and he's not the a lost cause I'd take a chance on with such a young team.

Kind of my sentiments too. When we were making our last playoff push in that extended window he would have been perfect in that line up. Fun to watch is right.

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Why would we want someone else's expensive problem child (talking basketball wise of course).

This Grizzlie (grizzly) game is a case in point as to why.

At least he would be able to challenge ZBo both offensively and defensively with his athleticism.   This game at the half is just sad tonight.

Sully, KO and Zeller look like lost little kids.

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I d take Smith ...with out a crazy contract ...that would make him like Wallace ....who used to have elite skills too.....a huge problem at some point

Two year contract .

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
does anyone have a synergy account? i read a really interesting article on smith as a SF and as a PF, but i can't find it now. as a SF he's a great defender, but as a PF he's off the charts good, something like .68 points against per possession.
i recall he was frequently the best player on the court in the hawks/c's 2nd-round series a few years back.
we could get him for very cheap i suspect, but he might be too old by the time our young players improve.
there are plenty of other teams that would benefit from his presense, however. charlotte comes to mind, smith could really help protect jefferson. cleveland desperately needs a guy like smith too.

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

we could get him for very cheap i suspect, but he might be too old by the time our young players improve.

Smith will be 29 next month. He has two years left on his contract after this year which takes him to 31. He is in his prime and given his durability he should be playing well at least as long as Rondo.

As you alluded to, he is very effective as a PF, especially on D. He's a great weak side shot blocker and can run many PFs into the ground. Sully and Zeller can tag team the opponents center.

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:01 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would still love to go after him. A great weak side defender, and shot blocker, with intelligent passing, but questionable shots. Still don't think Jennings is the right PG to lead an offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
danny didnt go for him as a free agent. why would he give up assets for him.

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
danny didnt go for him as a free agent. why would he give up assets for him.

Didnt have any cap space at all... Wallace, and maybe a late first round pick for a player that has averaged 16.2 PPG 8.3 RPG, and 2.2 BPG isn't going to be as good or better than that... Josh Smith would be a win now move, and Sully or KO is on their way out.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Would still love to go after him. A great weak side defender, and shot blocker, with intelligent passing, but questionable shots. Still don't think Jennings is the right PG to lead an offense.

+1....agree...Rondo  to Josh Smith running the floor will get a lot of buckets compared to Jennings ....also Rondo will keep Smith in line and not give him the ball if he is more than 10 ft from the basket

Defensively, Smith, aside from his weak side shot blocking will contain the opposing PF,  a position of strength around the league where we have been burnt  and with LMA, then Noah/Gibson/Gasol then Milsap coming up, our need for Smith will be underscored.

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would love to get smith as long as we can move Sully or Oylynk, possibly both to pair him with a center like Roy Hibbert. Bringing in Hibbert would also probably cost us Bradley and at least one first round pick. I would hate to see all three of them leave but having a line up of:
Rondo
Smart
Green
Smith
Hibbert
 Would be great defensively all around and give smart and rondo the chance to gamble a bit knowing they have great rim protection behind them. We would also still be able to run the fast break extremely effectively having green and smith running along side rondo and smart. I really like smith's game and think he can help us keep rondo but I would really love it if we could pair him with hibbert.

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
This was so late 2012/early 2013 ago.

He would have been great if we still had Pierce and Garnett.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I would do a Wallace and Bass for Smith.   If they added a pick.   

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Sulley

Smart
Thorton
Turner
KO
Zellar

Powell/Young and Victor
Diggles

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Sulley

Smart
Thorton
Turner
KO
Zellar

Powell/Young and Victor

I think the pick, in that scenario, would have to come from us. They're getting Wallace's salary and an expiring in Bass, who helps them very short term.

I get it that they save about $13 million in that scenario, but they are giving up, by far, the best player.

Glad more folks seem to be getting on the Josh Smith wagon. Still almost 2 to 1 against in the poll though.

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Sulley

Smart
Thorton
Turner
KO
Zellar

Powell/Young and Victor

I don't think we are going to get a pick out of it, but this actually seems like a good deal for both teams. They solidify two positions of need with veteran leadership and we rid ourselves of Wallace's contract.

I am certainly not huge on Smith, but Rondo should be able to keep him in line (since he is so ball dominant) and our interior defense would get a lot more respect.

However, no Wallace, no deal.

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
I have no doubt if Josh Smith comes here, he'll still be launching threes game after game, given the team's approach to shoot as much three pointers as you can each game.....