Poll

POLL: If we could get Josh Smith on the cheap, would you trade for him if you were Ainge?

Yes
25 (32.5%)
No
52 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?  (Read 21566 times)

Re: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No way I want Van Gundy here :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This one is interesting because if it's Wallace, Bass and the Philly 1st* how can you turn down a talent like Smith? Sure Smith has a year more than Wallace and is getting 13.5 million but can this team guarantee a prime FA in one of the next two off-seasons?

I kind of agree with Mike, if Monroe was part of the deal with say new trade being Wallace, Bass, Turner and Sully for Smith and Monroe the team should really think about it even with no guarantee of resigning Monroe.

Rondo, AB, Green, Smith, Monroe as starters is a better group. Also bench is better with Smart, Thornton, Young, Olynyk, Zeller.

I'm for the Smith with Monroe deal.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Josh Smith is an unreliable player. He looks like a streetball player out there. Smith has talent, but his basketball IQ is below average. He likes chucking long two's, threes in ill advised times. Absolutely no.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Josh Smith is an unreliable player. He looks like a streetball player out there. Smith has talent, but his basketball IQ is below average. He likes chucking long two's, threes in ill advised times. Absolutely no.
Yep.  I would hate to see him on the C's. 

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if Monroe was part of the deal with say new trade being Wallace, Bass, Turner and Sully for Smith and Monroe the team should really think about it even with no guarantee of resigning Monroe.

Rondo, AB, Green, Smith, Monroe as starters is a better group. Also bench is better with Smart, Thornton, Young, Olynyk, Zeller.

this would be much more difficult to turn down.  I think the big negative on it is the lack of bird rights to sign Monroe. 

as for the deal for Smith by himself, while he's certainly more talented than what the C's are sending out, we've got 2 PFs I'd rather play ahead of him.  I don't want Smith at the 3 and he's not going to pass for a C.   I'll give him the nod over Sully in terms of D but Sully's better at everything else.  He's better than KO on D and rebounding but KO is much better on offense.

mentioned in the other thread I'd like to see Danny go for a center instead.  if he horned in on a deal to say flip Josh to Utah for one of Favors/Kanter/Gobert while giving up minor pieces, I'd be all for it.  2 years ago I'd have been all over a deal for Josh but with Sully's development and KO showing progress, I don't see acquiring Josh as taking a major step forward.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Josh Smith has zero value on the market right now but remains a good player when controlled.  He 110% is NOT a Small Forward.  I mentioned on realgm over the summer that I wouldn't mind Josh Smith in Boston assuming the deal was for nothing more then Wallace/Bass/Clips pick.  I would do that deal BUT ONLY if Ainge/Stevens did the unthinkable and started Josh Smith at CENTER.  Yes, I said it.  Center. 

Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sullinger-Smith
Smart-Thornton-Turner-Olynyk-Zeller

Here is why I would want Smith on this roster as our starting Center.  Keep an open mind folks.  First of all he's long and athletic and brings very good defensive instincts.  He can block shots down low and trailing from behind.  He is excellent in transition.  Solid rebounder.  And he is effective as a lefty in the post.  Putting him at Center limits his exposure to the 3pt line and deep 2.  He would be a mis-match nightmare for opposing Centers.  Imagine Roy Hibbert trying to keep up with Smith?  Exactly.  Also, on the defensive side of the ball you can put Smith on a PF with Sully, KO, Zeller shifting over to defend the opposing teams Center. 

It's a brilliant move.  Especially in todays game.  Now if Boston somehow lands Marc Gasol Via free agency or lands Jahil in the draft...fine.  those guys would play Center...then you could shift Smith to PF and use Sully and or KO as trade bait to improve the wing position.  acquiring Smith doesn't really limit you elsewhere..  Plus, Rondo would be happy

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
depending on the situation. Could Josh Smith be a Courtney Lee situation, a good player in a bad system or a system that doesn't fit him. Getting Josh Smith at the expense of GWallace and Bass is a great deal imo. We grab ourselves a good rebounder, athletic defensive power forward. The problem with that is, him and Kelly and Sully. Who is going to start at PF? Still doesn't solve our center situation.

Therefore I will pass, unless you are saying good bye to Sully or Kelly or both, grab Smith and try to package Sully to grab a center.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I'm just not buying that Josh Smith is this bad. He was too good in Atlanta, he's healthy, and he's still in his physical prime. When he's playing inside or trying to get to the basket, he is still extremely efficient.

SVG is taking the necessary first steps towards reversing the damage that's been done to him by bad coaching, but a fresh start could be an easier, more face-saving route.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:44:23 PM by sofutomygaha »

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
depending on the situation. Could Josh Smith be a Courtney Lee situation, a good player in a bad system or a system that doesn't fit him. Getting Josh Smith at the expense of GWallace and Bass is a great deal imo. We grab ourselves a good rebounder, athletic defensive power forward. The problem with that is, him and Kelly and Sully. Who is going to start at PF? Still doesn't solve our center situation.

Therefore I will pass, unless you are saying good bye to Sully or Kelly or both, grab Smith and try to package Sully to grab a center.

Well your options are unlimited.  Your GM has built a treasure chest full of assets so you can really do anything you want.  Do you want Smith ?  Maybe pair him up with his old friend Al Horford ?  Say goodbye to Sullinger and keep your rotational bigs as Smith, Olynyk, Horford, and Zeller.....

If that doesn't make you happy you can always stay patient and wait for another big to get into someone's dog house.  The options are unlimited since you've build a ton of trade assets and have them at your disposal when necessary.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
if Monroe was part of the deal with say new trade being Wallace, Bass, Turner and Sully for Smith and Monroe the team should really think about it even with no guarantee of resigning Monroe.

this would be much more difficult to turn down.  I think the big negative on it is the lack of bird rights to sign Monroe. 

as for the deal for Smith by himself, while he's certainly more talented than what the C's are sending out, we've got 2 PFs I'd rather play ahead of him.  I don't want Smith at the 3 and he's not going to pass for a C.   I'll give him the nod over Sully in terms of D but Sully's better at everything else.  He's better than KO on D and rebounding but KO is much better on offense.

mentioned in the other thread I'd like to see Danny go for a center instead.  if he horned in on a deal to say flip Josh to Utah for one of Favors/Kanter/Gobert while giving up minor pieces, I'd be all for it.  2 years ago I'd have been all over a deal for Josh but with Sully's development and KO showing progress, I don't see acquiring Josh as taking a major step forward.
I don't think any one would consider sending Sully or Olynyk for Smith. But in getting Monroe he would be what you are trading Sully for a center. Smith gives an interior shot blocking presence C's lack. Gobert and Favors aren't going any where and Kanter isn't a shot blocker. Think Smith with Monroe deal may be best deal possible this year to compete.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »

Offline TheGreenMonster

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 40
I shudder to think how many threes he would be taking per game on this team  :o

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
At some point, I think you have to be willing to trade for a player simply because the value it would cost you to acquire him is much less than the production he could give your team. If we are able to deal Wallace for Smith I think it's a great deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I don't think any one would consider sending Sully or Olynyk for Smith. But in getting Monroe he would be what you are trading Sully for a center. Smith gives an interior shot blocking presence C's lack. Gobert and Favors aren't going any where and Kanter isn't a shot blocker. Think Smith with Monroe deal may be best deal possible this year to compete.

Why would you trade three years of cheap control of Sullinger for Monroe when you could just sign Monroe as a free agent next summer?

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't mind adding Monroe.  And I wouldn't mind trading for him to get him a little earlier than next summer.  But because he has effective "No Trade" power and because he will be a non-Bird Rights, unrestricted free agent next summer whether traded or not, Detroit has almost NO trading leverage for him.   There is no reason to give up any asset of significant value to trade for Monroe.  If he wants to come here, offer Detroit some nominal piece to make it happen early, sure.  But otherwise, they can't stop him from walking next summer anyway.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The rules of the league now really emphasize being able to shoot the ball well.  He can't. Pass.

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
As a former "Get Josh Smith here now!!!" supporter, I;ll admit I was wrong.

JSmooth has the same problem Big Baby had/has: An undersized pf thinking they are a sg. He was great in ATL the first few years but then started chucking 3's at a worse rate than Rondo and it seems to only have gotten worse in Detroit. Doesn't help that Detroit is just a mess now. Hopefully Monroe and Drummond don't follow a similar path.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)