Poll

POLL: If we could get Josh Smith on the cheap, would you trade for him if you were Ainge?

Yes
25 (32.5%)
No
52 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?  (Read 21603 times)

POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Josh Smith was benched by Van Gundy for the whole 4th quarter of the Piston's loss to the Suns.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/20/7253661/josh-smith-benched-pistons-vs-suns

This is on the heels of an ill-advised three point shot (sound familiar) taken by Smith at a critical point in the closing moments of a game vs the Bulls a couple of weeks ago which resulted in a bunch of "my bad's" from Smith which got a lot of press.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2014/11/12/detroit-pistons-josh-smith/18914935/

The Josh Smith experiment has failed in Detroit. Last year, they played him out of position at the SF, a very bad spot for him for many reasons not the least of which is how the position itself prototypically expects players  to take the three ball.  That's equivelant to giving a recovering alcoholic a job as a wine-taster. The 3 is his addiction and bad things happen when he takes the three.

This year, Van Gundy was initially supportive of Smith. Now things have devolved to benchings and verbal warfare.

Given the above, I think that we could get Josh Smith for cheap. Something like GWall, Bass and a weak pick, I think, could do it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k8hzusj

Detroit gets rid of their headache and gets two veteran leaders and saves about $20 million. Veteran leadership is sorely lacking on that team, and Bass played for Van Gundy in Orlando.
In addition, Josh Smith is a fiery player and, I think, is a bad mix with Stan who is also fiery and can be somewhat caustic at times.

The question becomes "will Josh Smith and all his skills and the salary that we are locked into with him be worth any potential headaches that come with having him on the team?"

The "good" Josh Smith is a great teammate, fiery competitor and a stat-stuffing machine who brings an athleticism and rim protection to our front line that is sorely lacking. He will be an enticement for Rondo to stay around.

The "bad" Josh Smith launches ill-advised threes, and when unhappy can be a handful as evidenced by his dogging it which led to yesterday's benching..

Brad Stevens, Danny and Smith's buddy Rondo have as good a shot at reigning in Josh Smith's negative tendencies as anyone.

The defensive line-up that Smith's acquisition would allow us to put on the court is pretty impressive: Rondo, Bradley/Smart, Green, JSmith, Zellinger.

This is a high risk ($$$ and chemistry) high reward (getting an All-Defensive player on the cheap) scenario.

Would you do this if you were Danny, and what is "the cheap" that you think you would be willing to give up/they would accept?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:08:31 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Good job finding the links. I would probably do Bass and Wallace for Smith as long as we weren't required to make a pick.

someone should merge this and the other Smith thread, while keeping the poll.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
No...no...and no!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Good job finding the links. I would probably do Bass and Wallace for Smith as long as we weren't required to make a pick.

someone should merge this and the other Smith thread, while keeping the poll.

Tp...thanks...just posted apologies in other thread because I type so slowly and asked a mod to merge or let mine die a slow death. Keeping the poll is a good idea though. This board is very divided on Josh Smith. I'd like to see numbers to quantify that divide.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I have never understood the fascination with Josh Smith.  We certainly don't need him on this team at this point in time in the team's development.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No. I really like Josh Smith but Boston already has Olynyk and Sullinger at PF. Two of the top young prospects on the team already at his position.

Smith is going to be a great bargain for someone but Boston is not the right team. Smith would hurt the development of our best young talent.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
No...no...and no!
You don't think he can provide better value to our team than Bass and Wallace?

Sure he has a big contract that he hasn't earned but as a rebuilding team asset accumulation is the most important thing. Smith is an asset with far greater upside than Bass/Wallace.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm not sure I'd want Smith in any case but if he came to Boston, he'd either have to spend a lot of time at the 3 or Sully would wind up at the 5.

The only way I'd even consider it would be Smith and Monroe for Bass, Wallace and Sully.  I think KO could work better coming off the bench at the 4 and 5 spot.  But given Monroe is a free agent after his season....no.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Miami should make a run at Josh Smith. He would be great alongside Chris Bosh.

Really upgrade Miami's defensive quickness. Make them lethal in transition game.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
No...no...and no!

Sure he has a big contract that he hasn't earned but as a rebuilding team asset accumulation is the most important thing. Smith is an asset with far greater upside than Bass/Wallace.

Agree, and it also gives us the flexibility to move Sully or Oly, so the 4 wouldn't be so logjammed, and garner more assets.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No. I really like Josh Smith but Boston already has Olynyk and Sullinger at PF. Two of the top young prospects on the team already at his position.

Smith is going to be a great bargain for someone but Boston is not the right team. Smith would hurt the development of our best young talent.

Pretty much my sentiments too. As I posted in the other thread Smith has a world of talent, playing alongside Green and Rondo would be a great great team to watch. Unless we were able to turn Sully a pick and an expiring into a legit top 5 or 10 center, then I don't see the need for Smith unfortunately.

Too bad Smith wasn't 6 11 or 7 feet. Then it would be a yes in a heartbeat.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
No...no...and no!

From a pure talent standpoint?  Sure.   

The problem is when you consider other factors;  the horrific contract, his propensity for boneheaded play on the court, and given what the Celtics already have at the 4.  Faf touched on that in the other thread.

How much of an asset is he really with that contract?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
no
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Why would we want someone else's expensive problem child (talking basketball wise of course).
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace