Author Topic: Let's Take Advantage of Detroit's Problems!  (Read 3071 times)

Re: Let's Take Advantage of Detroit's Problems!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931
If that's the trade (Turner, Wallace, and the 2015 Clips) you do it, I think. Particularly if you're convinced that you can keep Smith off the three point line on offense by offering some sort of inversion where he's in the paint and one of the Sully/Olynyk duo is beyond the arc.

That's kind of what I was thinking in making this thread.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't want Josh Smith with his contract, current level of play, and the young talent we have at the PF position.
agreed.

All the points the OP listed as reasons for the C's to do it are not true.

There are several reasons why this would benefit us.
1) Smith's contract is only 3 million more and 1 year longer than Wallace's contract, so we're not binding ourselves up too much taking it on. Smith is exponentially better than Wallace at this stage, too.
==>this is a big deal.  mucks up our cap for trying to get better players in free agency and trades
2) This virtually ensures that Rondo stays next year, and it helps other free agents knowing there's another borderline All-Star on the team.
==>it doesn't ensure anything of the sort.  pure speculation
3) Smith still has tremendous value in the right system, and if Brad Stevens can reign him in from the 3 point line he could really help us.
==>Stevens has encouraged more 3 point shooting with this team.  no way he reigns is the notorious chucker that is Josh Smith
4) Smith would improve our interior defense dramatically, which is something we need horribly. Also, his defensive presence would also mitigate the bad effects of having Olynyk/Sully at the 5.
==>solid defender at the 4 but we're already 3 PFs deep at that position without including any minutes for Green.  Acquiring another PF when we really need to unload at least 1 makes no sense
5) He's a great small-ball running 5 with Rondo, Bradley, Smart, and Green.
==>Smith is not a 5.  that would be an ungodly small 5 man unit.  at least Sully has the bulk to bang with a legit center.  Smith really doesn't.

1) Since so many FA's are clamoring to come to Boston! lol
2) I'm pretty sure his best friend Smith is incentive enough for him to stay, and I think most people would agree to that.
3) Fair point. I think it can be done, but our three point shooting has dramatically decreased since the preseason.
4)Another fair point. I originally had Bass in the trade, but I felt like we couldn't justify having Wallace and Smith on huge contracts.
5)Sully and Olynyk aren't 5's, but we play them there! lol I wasn't advocating playing that way constantly, only for short stretches. He'd be a great small-ball 5 for short stretches, but, no, he couldn't consistently do it.
1) Since so many FA's are clamoring to come to Boston! lol
==> name a top FA they had the money to sign and didn't get.  I'll save you the time, there isn't one.
2) I'm pretty sure his best friend Smith is incentive enough for him to stay, and I think most people would agree to that.
==>take a poll and find out.  bottom line, it only makes a difference if Rondo thinks it does, not what everyone else might speculate.  personally, I think Rondo is resigning regardless of Smith.  The team is heading in the right direction in terms of freeing up cap space for FAs and with a volume of draft picks.  The youth on the team isn't too bad either.
3) Fair point. I think it can be done, but our three point shooting has dramatically decreased since the preseason.
==>we're still chucking at volume rate and not at a good percentage.  I don't see how Brad can encourage Sully, Bass and KO to do it and not have Smith think he shouldn't. 
4)Another fair point. I originally had Bass in the trade, but I felt like we couldn't justify having Wallace and Smith on huge contracts.
==>Bass would make more sense in terms of roster but I get your point.  in either case, Smith is making a lot of money for underperforming and it's a longer deal.
5)Sully and Olynyk aren't 5's, but we play them there! lol I wasn't advocating playing that way constantly, only for short stretches. He'd be a great small-ball 5 for short stretches, but, no, he couldn't consistently do it.
==>I get it's for small stretches.  I just don't think he's good candidate to be the sole big man on the floor at any time simply because another team can also go small and use an actual center or bigger PF on him.  it might work, it might not.

it's not like you're proposing to give up something outrageous for Josh.  I don't disagree he's a big talent upgrade overall over who you're shipping out but I'd prefer to have Danny make a deal to fill the biggest need we have which is a center.  If you were proposing to flip Josh to some with an extra center who needs a PF, that'd be different but you're proposing to keep PF that doesn't shoot as well as the other 3 on the roster.

If the intent was to say flip him to Utah in an effort to land Kanter, Favors or Gobert since they really need a PF and can spare project center, I could understand that.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Yeah, I think Sacramento is exactly the kind of team who'd make for a trade partner with Detroit.

Jason Thompson, Nik Stauskas, and Derrick Williams for Smith seems equitable.

This doesn't really solve their hole at the 3, though. Also, given the questionable attitude of Boogie, pairing Smith with him might not be ideal.

Good point about DMC and Smith but this still makes more sense then a trade with the Cs. A trade for Smith is a commitment to playing Sully and KO at center. Not idea at all.

An idea I have. What about a NYK-Pistons trade

J Smith for Bargnani and JR Smith

I know the knicks want their cap space but in an ideal wold J Smith might be the perfect PF pair for Anthony. He could always defend the better forward and protect Anthony on D. Bargs is in his last year and JR would slide in as an undersized 3 for the pistons. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:57:15 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agree with those who say you have to make that trade if it was available.

Reason:  Despite not being ideal positionally, the Celtics might suddenly be a very difficult
team to beat.

Rondo
Smart
Green
Smith
Sully

Bench:  Oly, Zeller, Bradley, Thornton, Bass

With the Clippers pick in the mix that should be more appealing to Detroit than J.R. Smith
and Bargnani

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Only two "trade for Josh Smith" trades running on the forum right now. Can someone start a few more so that we can keep up with the running average? LOL