Author Topic: Let's Take Advantage of Detroit's Problems!  (Read 3070 times)

Let's Take Advantage of Detroit's Problems!
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
So Smith and SVG are butting heads, and Smith was benched the entire fourth quarter last night after arguing with SVG.  As badly as Detroit is playing right now, Smith's value might be as low as it has ever been, so why not take advantage of this fact?

Let me premise this by saying that Smith would not be my first choice to pair with Rondo, but the situation in Detroit does seem ripe for the picking.

Boston: Josh Smith
Detroit: Wallace, Turner (after December 15), and 2015 Clips pick

There are several reasons why this would benefit us.
1) Smith's contract is only 3 million more and 1 year longer than Wallace's contract, so we're not binding ourselves up too much taking it on. Smith is exponentially better than Wallace at this stage, too.
2) This virtually ensures that Rondo stays next year, and it helps other free agents knowing there's another borderline All-Star on the team.
3) Smith still has tremendous value in the right system, and if Brad Stevens can reign him in from the 3 point line he could really help us.
4) Smith would improve our interior defense dramatically, which is something we need horribly. Also, his defensive presence would also mitigate the bad effects of having Olynyk/Sully at the 5.
5) He's a great small-ball running 5 with Rondo, Bradley, Smart, and Green.

Why Detroit does it:
1) Smith is not a 3, and they lack any starting caliber 3.  Turner would come right in and start at the 3 for them providing better shooting, passing, and playmaking than Smith could provide.
2) They get out of Smith's contract early, which is just not a good match for the two parties.
3) They get another asset out of the deal with the Clips pick.

So is Smith attainable for this package? If not, how much more would you give to get him? Would you even want him for this package?

Re: Let's Take Advantage of Detroit's Problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

If Detroit is up for it, I certainly am. I think that, if they do trade Smith, they're going to get an asset and an expiring contract. If we were offering this and SVG really wanted rid of Smith, maybe he'd go ask for Bargain and Shumpert from NY? Or Williams, McLemore, and a pick from Sacramento? Lots of other options for Detroit is my point.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't want Josh Smith with his contract, current level of play, and the young talent we have at the PF position.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yeah, I think Sacramento is exactly the kind of team who'd make for a trade partner with Detroit.

Jason Thompson, Nik Stauskas, and Derrick Williams for Smith seems equitable.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I don't want Josh Smith with his contract, current level of play, and the young talent we have at the PF position.

Not even for that price?

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:46:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I've always been a big Josh Smith fan despite his lack of bball IQ and his poor shooting. He has so much talent and athleticism. Running with Green and Rondo would be a really great trio. But with Bass, Sully, and KO already there I don't see it working out.

He would be an excellent fit in Sacramento alongside Gay and Cousins...However, that would mean Rondo is a goner to Kingtown in my mind.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Yeah, I think Sacramento is exactly the kind of team who'd make for a trade partner with Detroit.

This doesn't really solve their hole at the 3, though. Also, given the questionable attitude of Boogie, pairing Smith with him might not be ideal.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I've always been a big Josh Smith fan despite his lack of bball IQ and his poor shooting. He has so much talent and athleticism. Running with Green and Rondo would be a really great trio. But with Bass, Sully, and KO already there I don't see it working out.

He would be an excellent fit in Sacramento alongside Gay and Cousins...However, that would mean Rondo is a goner to Kingtown in my mind.

I don't think they'd have enough to pay him this summer.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
agreed.

All the points the OP listed as reasons for the C's to do it are not true.

1) Smith's contract is only 3 million more and 1 year longer than Wallace's contract, so we're not binding ourselves up too much taking it on. Smith is exponentially better than Wallace at this stage, too.
==>this is a big deal.  mucks up our cap for trying to get better players in free agency and trades
2) This virtually ensures that Rondo stays next year, and it helps other free agents knowing there's another borderline All-Star on the team.
==>it doesn't ensure anything of the sort.  pure speculation
3) Smith still has tremendous value in the right system, and if Brad Stevens can reign him in from the 3 point line he could really help us.
==>Stevens has encouraged more 3 point shooting with this team.  no way he reigns is the notorious chucker that is Josh Smith
4) Smith would improve our interior defense dramatically, which is something we need horribly. Also, his defensive presence would also mitigate the bad effects of having Olynyk/Sully at the 5.
==>solid defender at the 4 but we're already 3 PFs deep at that position without including any minutes for Green.  Acquiring another PF when we really need to unload at least 1 makes no sense
==>Smith is not a 5.  that would be an ungodly small 5 man unit.  at least Sully has the bulk to bang with a legit center.  Smith really doesn't.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

This doesn't really solve their hole at the 3, though. Also, given the questionable attitude of Boogie, pairing Smith with him might not be ideal.

Kyle Singler and Caron Butler make for a competent platoon at SF, assuming that Derrick Williams doesn't play the 3 anymore.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
agreed.

All the points the OP listed as reasons for the C's to do it are not true.

==>this is a big deal.  mucks up our cap for trying to get better players in free agency and trades
==>it doesn't ensure anything of the sort.  pure speculation
==>Stevens has encouraged more 3 point shooting with this team.  no way he reigns is the notorious chucker that is Josh Smith
==>solid defender at the 4 but we're already 3 PFs deep at that position without including any minutes for Green.  Acquiring another PF when we really need to unload at least 1 makes no sense
==>Smith is not a 5.  that would be an ungodly small 5 man unit.  at least Sully has the bulk to bang with a legit center.  Smith really doesn't.

1) Since so many FA's are clamoring to come to Boston! lol
2) I'm pretty sure his best friend Smith is incentive enough for him to stay, and I think most people would agree to that.
3) Fair point. I think it can be done, but our three point shooting has dramatically decreased since the preseason.
4)Another fair point. I originally had Bass in the trade, but I felt like we couldn't justify having Wallace and Smith on huge contracts.
5)Sully and Olynyk aren't 5's, but we play them there! lol I wasn't advocating playing that way constantly, only for short stretches. He'd be a great small-ball 5 for short stretches, but, no, he couldn't consistently do it.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would move Turner and Wallace for Josh Smith, but I wouldn't give them a first, since we would be taking on more long term salary.

We wouldn't really be tying up any of our free agent money for this offseason, since Wallace's contract will be on the books if we don't trade him.

I think Smoove is a good fit for our team in that he can block shots, could be an athletic finisher on the pick and roll and the break. Smith has never played on a team that plays with the pace we have this year and I think he would flourish in this type of system.

I've always been a Smith fan but with his current play I am not giving them more than and extra year or two of salary relief.

The team I'd really be looking to take advantage of isn't Detroit but Denver. The Nuggets are not a playoff team, but they have a lot of salary on the books for next year. I would have interest in trading for Faried (who was badmouthed in a recent espn article), Gallinari (who is still coming back from knee surgery but could be a great future piece) and McGee (I would take a flier on an athletic player like him)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP for your thread. Great minds think alike.

I type so slowly that it took me almost an hour to put all mine together with the sources in my POLL thread.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=74378.msg1765466#new

My bad....maybe the mods can merge them.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 12:23:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If that's the trade (Turner, Wallace, and the 2015 Clips) you do it, I think. Particularly if you're convinced that you can keep Smith off the three point line on offense by offering some sort of inversion where he's in the paint and one of the Sully/Olynyk duo is beyond the arc.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Probably the least of it, but I wonder if the Celtics might incur some flak from Turner's agent if they were to ship him out of town less than 3 months after officially signing him.

Combining the Smith storyline with the Houston storyline, perhaps a three-team deal, with Bass going to the Rox, and some considerations going to Detroit along with Wallace.