Author Topic: Unimpressed with Noel  (Read 8907 times)

Re: Unimpressed with Noel
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd take him on this Celtics team in a heartbeat.

I don't care how much his offense game ever progresses, I'll take the defense and the rebounding.

He's gonna grow into his body.  My only concern with him would be injury.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I would still trade Smart + Olynyk for him in a second!

I wouldn't , talk about overpaying . He isn't a rim protecting enter, he is a weak side help defense PF . Sully is better and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. We need a legit center , not another PF .

You are talking about a 7', ultra-athletic dude who was one of the most devastating shot blockers and overall defensive players in NCAA at the center position. Whether he's playing the 4 or the 5, he is a good bet to grow into a far more effective deterrent to interior scoring and a far more effective pick-and-roll player than anyone we have in the works.

You're saying we don't need a player like that because he looks more like a 4 than a 5?

I have to admit I wouldn't either.  none of the 3 have a complete game but I've seen enough of Smart to appreciate he's a terrific defender.  KO is the flip side of Noel  in terms of solid offense, lacking on D --- and that's assuming Noel is better on D than he showed last night.

If it was Smart and KO for Embiid, that's a different story since Embiid showed a better offensive game than Noel in college

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I wouldn't , talk about overpaying . He isn't a rim protecting enter, he is a weak side help defense PF . Sully is better and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. We need a legit center , not another PF .

You are talking about a 7', ultra-athletic dude who was one of the most devastating shot blockers and overall defensive players in NCAA at the center position. Whether he's playing the 4 or the 5, he is a good bet to grow into a far more effective deterrent to interior scoring and a far more effective pick-and-roll player than anyone we have in the works.

You're saying we don't need a player like that because he looks more like a 4 than a 5?

I have to admit I wouldn't either.  none of the 3 have a complete game but I've seen enough of Smart to appreciate he's a terrific defender.  KO is the flip side of Noel  in terms of solid offense, lacking on D --- and that's assuming Noel is better on D than he showed last night.

If it was Smart and KO for Embiid, that's a different story since Embiid showed a better offensive game than Noel in college

I would never make that trade. Noel might have extreme potential. 7 foot, scary athletic.... However, he has just looked downright bad through the preseason and the 76ers first 11 games. Obviously he is coming off a major injury, in his rookie year, playing on a d-league team...However that's no excuse for him. He looks like he has a massive amount to learn and who knows if he will get to the next level and stay healthy. I'd much rather role with Smart and KO as they have both already shown they can play at the NBA level.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Scal does talk too much but his knowledge and enthusiasm more than make up for it.  As far as Donny goes, God I'm glad he's gone.  I hated him.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I don't care how much his offense game ever progresses, I'll take the defense and the rebounding.

Noel's defense hasn't exactly been anything to write home about so far.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

So trading 2 prospects for 1 prospect...nice

I would not trade Smart for Noel

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

Neither has the Celtics.

This kid is 20 years old and has already shown plenty of promise on that end of the court at the collegiate level and in certain instances at the pro level.   I'd feel fairly confident that he'll accomplish much more on that end of the court than KO or Sully ever will.

The tools are there, IMO.  He's just in a horrible situation right now with that dumpster fire that is Philadelphia.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

So trading 2 prospects for 1 prospect...nice

I would not trade Smart for Noel
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic to the original post or my comment about considering it if the prospect was Embiid instead of Noel

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I am a big fan of Nerlens Noel. He is right about where I expected him to be his first year in the league so I am not concerned about his level of performance. I always expected him to be a slow starter given his physique and inexperience. Guys like J.Noah and M.Camby were slow starters to their NBA careers too and they were older and had more college experience than Noel does. So Noel is doing fine. He is right on track.

I would have happily traded the #6 pick for Noel on draft day and would still trade Smart for Noel now. I am a big Marcus Smart fan but Noel is simply more valuable especially with regards to the Celtics who already have Rondo at PG and a massive hole at C.

I would do Smart + Olynyk for Noel. It hurts a little but I would really love to have Noel here.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I would never make that trade. Noel might have extreme potential. 7 foot, scary athletic.... However, he has just looked downright bad through the preseason and the 76ers first 11 games. Obviously he is coming off a major injury, in his rookie year, playing on a d-league team...However that's no excuse for him. He looks like he has a massive amount to learn and who knows if he will get to the next level and stay healthy. I'd much rather role with Smart and KO as they have both already shown they can play at the NBA level.

Don't you think that you have green glasses on, though, when you say that Smart has shown an ability to play at an NBA level while Noel has not? I mean, Smart has played in 5 games. He's made some great plays, but he's been shooting badly, turning the ball over, and fouling a ton just like Noel and pretty much all the other rookies.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Neither has the Celtics.

This kid is 20 years old and has already shown plenty of promise on that end of the court at the collegiate level and in certain instances at the pro level.   I'd feel fairly confident that he'll accomplish much more on that end of the court than KO or Sully ever will.

The tools are there, IMO.  He's just in a horrible situation right now with that dumpster fire that is Philadelphia.

Noel's defensive rating per 100 possessions so far is 103.  Sully's rating his rookie year was 102.
Noel's offensive rating per 100 possessions so far is 76.  KO's rating his rookie year was 107.

You're protecting stuff defensively on Noel based on his reputation and ignoring the stunning awfulness of his reality on offense.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Mike

Neither has the Celtics.

Noel's defensive rating per 100 possessions so far is 103.  Sully's rating his rookie year was 102.
Noel's offensive rating per 100 possessions so far is 76.  KO's rating his rookie year was 107.

You're protecting stuff defensively on Noel based on his reputation and ignoring the stunning awfulness of his reality on offense.

Mike
I'm not impressed by Noel so far but to be fair, he's on a team loaded with garbage players.  I find it difficult to put any weight behind any team statistics for 2 reasons: 1 - Philly Stinks and 2 - it's been less than a dozen games.

If you have some stats showing everyone else on Philly's team has a much better rating on offense, that would help make your case.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Mike

I would say that the Noel apologists in this thread, myself included, are projecting stuff defensively on Noel based on his reputation, in spite of the stunning awfulness of his reality on offense through a very small number of NBA games. I'm definitely aware of how bad he's been.

Do keep in mind where that o-rating is coming from, by the way. Noel has so far been a high-usage option on the 76ers, and they running post ups and face ups for him despite his obvious lack of skill. The reason they are doing this is the same reason we let Sullinger bomb threes all year last year- the games don't matter and they want to develop his game.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

I would say that the Noel apologists in this thread, myself included, are projecting stuff defensively on Noel based on his reputation, in spite of the stunning awfulness of his reality on offense through a very small number of NBA games. I'm definitely aware of how bad he's been.

Do keep in mind where that o-rating is coming from, by the way. Noel has so far been a high-usage option on the 76ers, and they running post ups and face ups for him despite his obvious lack of skill. The reason they are doing this is the same reason we let Sullinger bomb threes all year last year- the games don't matter and they want to develop his game.

There's definitely reason to be hopeful about Noel, given what he did in college and his apparent athletic tools.  But talking about trading Smart and KO for him without a second thought is a bit much.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

Neither has the Celtics.

Mike

He's 20 years old and played in 9 NBA games ever.

You're dismissing him on a ridiculously small sample size and neglecting his age and the crap team he's playing on right now.

Based on what I've seen out of him in college and even glimpses in the pros, I think he'll be solid on the defensive end of the court.  Offensively,  not so much.