Author Topic: Unimpressed with Noel  (Read 8856 times)

Unimpressed with Noel
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
One of things I was looking forward to in last night's game was to see how Nerlens Noel was going to play.

And, I was unimpressed.

I know that team is just ridiculously awful, but Noel didn't really do anything that wowed me.

Wondering what anyone else who saw the game thought.

On a side note, I think BS should start Zeller at the 5 with Olynyk coming off the bench. I think that would work best for everyone.

I would also consider starting Thornton at the 2 every so often with Bradley coming off the bench.

Re: Unimpressed with Noel
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:58:50 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Noel needs to gain about 20 lbs , he is way to skinny . It is only 10 games into his NBA career though , so give him time . He is a great weak side shot blocker , once Embiid's back to guard the low post, Noel will be free to roam and play help defense .

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's a rookie coming off a major injury who has nine career games under his belt, though.  This year is going to be a huge learning experience for him.

He wasn't amazing -- few of the rookies this year have been -- but he had a solid night.  10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 50% shooting. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, that seems to be the story with Philly right now, right?

Don't expect much now, but in 2-3 years they MIGHT be a really good team.

I just don't like that philosophy, but to each his own.

I laughed last night when I heard Gorman say that there are 9 undrafted players on the Sixers roster (lol.)

Think Bledsoe was right, even Kentucky can probably beat those guys.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Noel clearly has a lot of physical ability but he often looked like he didn't know what he was doing out there, both with what the team was trying to do and with his body in general.  He'll likely get better, but he needs to get better to be a solid contributor.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Noel will be fine as a solid nba player. But he'll never be a franchise guy like some were hoping when he was projected #1 coming out of kentucky for a while. Still, he has the chance to be better than any of the five guys drafted ahead of him imo.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
didn't see anyone on Philly that looked particularly impressive.

my impressions of their roster after watching the game is that the only 3 players that would be worth anything to a decent team are:
- MCW as a backup PG.  In a league with a lot of really good PGs, he'd be a backup on a lot of teams.
- Noel as a backup big.  looked clueless on offense and not much better on D.  needs a lot of work on the court and in the gym.  he's a good 2 years away from being a good player. 
- Mcdaniels.  Kid looked like he can play.  he wouldn't get minutes on a good team but the kid showed some skill and looks like a good prospect.

Everyone else should just be happy to be collecting an NBA paycheck including Wroten.  He was awful.

I would not be surprised to see Noel leave that team as soon as he can.  probably reject an extension and play out his QO to become an unrestricted FA.  Be about the time he's starts really putting it together on the court.

MCW will probably stay if for no other reason than few franchises don't have a PG that's as good or better and he'll probably stay in Philly to continue starting.  IF, big IF, one of the few teams that are lacking a good PG and have a better team (or environment) like Houston or Lakers come calling, I could see him bolting Philly as well.

If those 2 go, I can't imagine Embiid being the one to choose to stay and I could see him bolting for greener pastures as well.

just my take (and secret wish to see Philly pay the price for putting out such god-awful team)

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I feel bad for him being in Philly, no vet to teach him.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The questions with Noel are...

1.  How hard is he willing to work?

2.  How high is his basketball IQ?

3.  How much can he bulk up?

I don't think there's any way to answer to the first two while he's on this horrible of a team.  The third is largely out of his control.  Some guys, like KG, just aren't built to carry around a lot of mass.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Noel is just a rookie. Actually, he's just a rookie playing in the middle of a cyclone of uncontrolled chaos. There's not much to judge him by.

But yeah, he looks surprisingly bad right now, considering what he did in college.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

I would still trade Smart + Olynyk for him in a second!

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I wouldn't , talk about overpaying . He isn't a rim protecting enter, he is a weak side help defense PF . Sully is better and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. We need a legit center , not another PF .

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

I wouldn't , talk about overpaying . He isn't a rim protecting enter, he is a weak side help defense PF . Sully is better and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. We need a legit center , not another PF .

You are talking about a 7', ultra-athletic dude who was one of the most devastating shot blockers and overall defensive players in NCAA at the center position. Whether he's playing the 4 or the 5, he is a good bet to grow into a far more effective deterrent to interior scoring and a far more effective pick-and-roll player than anyone we have in the works.

You're saying we don't need a player like that because he looks more like a 4 than a 5?

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You are talking about a 7', ultra-athletic dude who was one of the most devastating shot blockers and overall defensive players in NCAA at the center position. Whether he's playing the 4 or the 5, he is a good bet to grow into a far more effective deterrent to interior scoring and a far more effective pick-and-roll player than anyone we have in the works.

You're saying we don't need a player like that because he looks more like a 4 than a 5?

I'd guess he's saying the jury's still out on how good a pro the guy will be.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

I'd guess he's saying the jury's still out on how good a pro the guy will be.

Well of course it is! He's played 9 games!