Author Topic: We should have kept Courtney Lee and traded Bradley  (Read 11444 times)

Re: We should of kept Courtney Lee and traded Bradley
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
On a good team ideally both are coming off the bench.

Have you forgotten how well Lee played as a rookie in Orlando as a starter on a team that made it to the Finals?

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sorry, I forgot that here on CB we all base our judgement of players based on what they achieve over the first 10 games of a season...not the results they have achieved over 9 highly mediocre NBA seasons.

What about 4 overrated, highly mediocre injury riddled seasons with only a stretch of 14 good games over that time period?
What is it about Bradley that is overrated?

Everything. What's not overrated about him?
His passing isn't overrated. He's vilified weekly for his basketball I.Q., his finishing ability, and his ball-handling. And has been for a while. So again, what do people overrate about Bradley?
As far as I am concerned, his defense and overall team impact are wildly overrated. I'd have also argued his three point shooting is slightly underrated, but he's working hard on undermining my argument this season.
I am a pretty big Bradley apologist but I really haven't liked how he has played this year. I think so far this year his defense has been overrated. While his shooting has been underrated.

That being said, having a 29 year old Courtney Lee on a rebuilding team rather than a 23 year old Bradley makes no sense

Right, but drafting Smart and then choosing to resign Avery makes no sense to me.  I think there are a lot of teams out there who'd certainly like to have a guy like him, so why couldn't we just do a sign-and-trade for a first rounder or something?  That's what I would have done, anyway.

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Sorry, I forgot that here on CB we all base our judgement of players based on what they achieve over the first 10 games of a season...not the results they have achieved over 9 highly mediocre NBA seasons.

What about 4 overrated, highly mediocre injury riddled seasons with only a stretch of 14 good games over that time period?
What is it about Bradley that is overrated?

Everything. What's not overrated about him?

Now there's some analysis!

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
"Should have kept Courtney Lee." 

I'm sorry.  I know nobody likes the grammar police, but this one is becoming a pet peeve of mine.  I realize that should've said quickly can sound like should of, but it's clearly incorrect usage, and shows that the person using it is being fooled by the sound of the contraction for "should have."

That's all.  Again, sorry, but I hope some people take note of this and learn to correct this small grammar mistake.  I don't mean to criticize; I'm just trying to give some friendly advice.

On topic:

I don't think we should have traded Avery Bradley. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
"Should have kept Courtney Lee." 

I'm sorry.  I know nobody likes the grammar police, but this one is becoming a pet peeve of mine.  I realize that should've said quickly can sound like should of, but it's clearly incorrect usage, and shows that the person using it is being fooled by the sound of the contraction for "should have."

That's all.  Again, sorry, but I hope some people take note of this and learn to correct this small grammar mistake.  I don't mean to criticize; I'm just trying to give some friendly advice.

On topic:

I don't think we should have traded Avery Bradley.

shoulda coulda woulda

Lee is putting up career best numbers for Memphis.  Happy for him.  It seems to be a good place for guys to play to their strengths.
Yup

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 01:12:22 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Lee's a decent player but it's hard to argue that he's a huge upgrade over Bradley, particularly given his age and where we are with rebuilding.

And like others have said, there's no reason to extrapolate from his early season numbers this year when we have eight years of history suggesting that, you know, he probably won't have a 70% TS% for the season.

In fact for those who've been arguing that Bradley could never be a starter on a contending team, Lee might be the best counter-argument you could find right now. There are more similarities than differences between the two.

Lee has decent size and is durable.

Bradley is small and injury prone.

Re: We should have kept Courtney Lee and traded Bradley
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 02:27:34 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Bradley with a trillion tonight

0 rebounds, 0 asissts, 0 steals.

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

That's not what a trillion is.  That's 25,000.

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2014, 02:40:36 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

That's not what a trillion is.  That's 25,000.

Your absolutely right. Slow thinking at night.

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Reality is neither is all that key to the big picture. Split hairs on role players when you're a good team, not a bad one.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I was out of the loop last season, but I recall he was a disappointment in his first year with us. I'm glad he's playing well for the Grizzlies though, I've always liked him.
He had the best shooting percentages on the team when we traded him.  He never found a consistent role here.
TP  ;D

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
As a rookie with Orlando, he shut down Ray Allen in the playoffs

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That Lee trade was messed up (not only didn't we get anything for him, but we actually GAVE a 2nd rounder to facilitate it)

That was a pure salary dump of a guy with two more years on his contract for an expiring contract.  You usually have to give up an asset to get rid of a contract you don't want.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 11:10:32 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Danny has made a lot of good moves over the last year or two.  However, letting go of his most effective shooters (Courtney and Kris H) leaves me wondering if he understands why that stat is so important to winning games. 

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 12:55:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Problems with this team run deeper than letting Lee and Hump go.