Author Topic: Official Fitness/Nutrition Thread  (Read 7225 times)

Official Fitness/Nutrition Thread
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Been meaning to create this thread for quite some time now and have never gotten around to it.

With New Years approaching, I figured now would be a good time!

Only real rule I'd like to follow is just be nice. Whether somebody is a fitness professional, or has never stepped foot in a gym, we should all be here to teach and learn.

Questions, tips, routines, recipes, and healthy debate are all welcomed!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:57:59 PM by BleedGreen1989 »
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Official Fitness/Nutrition Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
currently in full fledged gym denial mode

bugs me, because I'd worked my butt off to get back in a routing last winter/spring then I wrenched my back and now the excuses are rolling
Yup

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
While you would think this would be a good place to ask this, it seems like not a lot of people actually play bball that post here.

Anyways - I am playing in a rec league x1 a week and I play pick up 2-3 times a week on top of that.  I would really like to lift, because in my rec league in particular, I get knocked around like a bowling pin.  I am 6'2", but I only weigh 170 and a lot of the guys in my league are super strong and aggressive. 

My problem is that lifting will totally mess up my bball playing.  I can't shoot on the same day I lift arms, for instance.  Does anybody have any experience lifting while also playing competitive bball?  Like what should my target weight be, what should i focus on, etc.?  I know I shouldn't try to bulk up, but that's about it.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
While you would think this would be a good place to ask this, it seems like not a lot of people actually play bball that post here.

Anyways - I am playing in a rec league x1 a week and I play pick up 2-3 times a week on top of that.  I would really like to lift, because in my rec league in particular, I get knocked around like a bowling pin.  I am 6'2", but I only weigh 170 and a lot of the guys in my league are super strong and aggressive. 

My problem is that lifting will totally mess up my bball playing.  I can't shoot on the same day I lift arms, for instance.  Does anybody have any experience lifting while also playing competitive bball?  Like what should my target weight be, what should i focus on, etc.?  I know I shouldn't try to bulk up, but that's about it.

I've never played at any kind of competitive level while lifting, but I do both.  Generally, don't try to force weight gain, especially not early on - focus first on higher rep, lower weight sets to practice form and build up some basic strength, then work in some heavier lifts over time. 

One thing to note - you can lift and play the same day, even arms; I do it all the time.  But you need your body to get used to the strain of lifting, so it will take a while.  I wouldn't do it before your competitive games, though, because it will impair you at least a little.  And don't neglect legs - lower body strength is seriously underrated by both casual lifters and basketball players.  You'll be tough to knock around if you develop strong legs and and a strong core, even at the same weight.

Ironically one of the best ways to get your weight up would be to stop playing for a while - all that running and bursting makes it harder to gain.  But just focus on getting a routine down before worrying at all about your size.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

I've never played at any kind of competitive level while lifting, but I do both.  Generally, don't try to force weight gain, especially not early on - focus first on higher rep, lower weight sets to practice form and build up some basic strength, then work in some heavier lifts over time. 

One thing to note - you can lift and play the same day, even arms; I do it all the time.  But you need your body to get used to the strain of lifting, so it will take a while.  And don't neglect legs - lower body strength is seriously underrated by both casual lifters and basketball players.  You'll be tough to knock around if you develop strong legs and and a strong core, even at the same weight.

Ironically one of the best ways to get your weight up would be to stop playing for a while - all that running and bursting makes it harder to gain.  But just focus on getting a routine down before worrying at all about your size.

Great tip and would likely be my starting point.

Squats, pause squats, and front squats would all be great to work into a routine.

Box jumps as well to help work on explosive power.

Secondly, size comes in the kitchen. The best routine won't give you size if you aren't consuming enough calories. Playing regular basketball will increase those calorie needs as FWF hinted at.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

If you're a hardgainer, which by the sound of it you're, then you definitely need to up your daily caloric intake. Now, this doesn't mean to eat everything in sight, but you're probably eating less than your body needs to grow. Tracking your macro's is vital. You simply need to know what you're putting in your body in order to make necessary adjustments and subsequent progress. This is a tedious process, which entails weighing foods and a lot of meal prep, but the results will pay dividends. For example, if your body's maintenance level (the amount of calories your body takes in order to neither gain or lose weight) is 2250 calories per day, then a modest increase to around 2500 is likely optimal. From there you gauge and see where you're at after a couple of weeks. If you're staying stagnant in weight, then you can add another 100 calories or so and reassess. It's a blueprint, it's a plan, but going on without it could lead to poor results.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I agree not neglect the lower body. 

Even doing 100 bodyweight squats or burpees everyday or every other day can be a good way to begin strengthening the lower body

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Hey guys. I'm actually curious if anyone has firsthand experience/advice for me- I know a lot of you are pickup and rec league players.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I'm in this horrible death-spiral of ankle spraining. (1) sprain ankle, (2) come back 2-3 months later out of shape... do a little cardio and shooting, (3) start playing again a month after that, but play like a scared old man and never leave the ground, (4) start feeling good and springy... enjoy basketball for a month, (5) sprain ankle.

Anyone else coping with this? I'm on my fourth go-round.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Hey guys. I'm actually curious if anyone has firsthand experience/advice for me- I know a lot of you are pickup and rec league players.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I'm in this horrible death-spiral of ankle spraining. (1) sprain ankle, (2) come back 2-3 months later out of shape... do a little cardio and shooting, (3) start playing again a month after that, but play like a scared old man and never leave the ground, (4) start feeling good and springy... enjoy basketball for a month, (5) sprain ankle.

I have back problems and knee problems since college and it may have gotten worse since then. Whenever I play competitive volleyball or pick up basketball, my back would sometime give out. One way to fix my problem was a lot of stretching (primarily hamstrings, my hip flexors, quads, and gluts). Also give foam rolling a try and roll on the areas I specified in stretching.

As for ankle, I had a high ankle sprain in high school and never gotten it after (knock on wood). Stretch out your tendons and get a very hard ball (baseball, lacrosse or softball) and roll it behind your ankle. I guarantee you it will hurt A LOT, but it's most likely tension growing and has already built up in your ankle area.

Good luck

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I have back problems and knee problems since college and it may have gotten worse since then. Whenever I play competitive volleyball or pick up basketball, my back would sometime give out. One way to fix my problem was a lot of stretching (primarily hamstrings, my hip flexors, quads, and gluts). Also give foam rolling a try and roll on the areas I specified in stretching.

As for ankle, I had a high ankle sprain in high school and never gotten it after (knock on wood). Stretch out your tendons and get a very hard ball (baseball, lacrosse or softball) and roll it behind your ankle. I guarantee you it will hurt A LOT, but it's most likely tension growing and has already built up in your ankle area.

Good luck
I agree with stretching and warm-ups it helps me. I'd also add with any recurring issues with sprains I suggest you watch your fatigue level and time playing. I physically can feel great playing basketball or flag football but I know after year 30 that around 45 minutes of hard play something will fatigue and tweak/sprain. I keep sports at 40 minutes to be careful now. I'm not afraid to call in a sub or petition to get a game of horse going lol.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 02:42:24 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm big into lifting and am a hard gainer. I take the "eat anything and everything" route and still find myself losing weight.

I work at a gym and have no excuse not to work out on the reg but still find excuses. IT's a tough life I live, I know.

In regards to lifting and playing ball, you can def lift upper body and still play on the same day. Just do compound lifts, or get it so that your DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is not affecting your comfort level when playing. That should take about three weeks of consistent lifting.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 03:04:06 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Tried a ridiculous squat challenge not too long ago. It was an adaptation of a Furious Pete workout.

10 sets x 10 reps of FULL A** to Grass Squats: First 50 at 275# and the last 50 at 225# under 30 minutes.

My buddy and I completed it in 25 minutes. Let me tell you something, it was absolutely hell right around the 8th set.  It was worth it, though, because it busted right through both of our plateaus we'd been at for awhile. 

It's a good challenge for any squat lovers out there.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 03:05:24 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Tried a ridiculous squat challenge not too long ago. It was an adaptation of a Furious Pete workout.

10 sets x 10 reps of FULL A** to Grass Squats: First 50 at 275# and the last 50 at 225# under 30 minutes.

My buddy and I completed it in 25 minutes. Let me tell you something, it was absolutely hell right around the 8th set.  It was worth it, though, because it busted right through both of our plateaus we'd been at for awhile. 

Dope, I'm trying it once I get back to normal strength levels lol

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 06:46:12 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Whew, makes my legs hurt reading that.

German Volume Training (10x10) has always been a favorite of mine. Squats are by far the toughest body part to do that with.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 07:19:19 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

If you're a hardgainer, which by the sound of it you're, then you definitely need to up your daily caloric intake. Now, this doesn't mean to eat everything in sight, but you're probably eating less than your body needs to grow. Tracking your macro's is vital. You simply need to know what you're putting in your body in order to make necessary adjustments and subsequent progress. This is a tedious process, which entails weighing foods and a lot of meal prep, but the results will pay dividends. For example, if your body's maintenance level (the amount of calories your body takes in order to neither gain or lose weight) is 2250 calories per day, then a modest increase to around 2500 is likely optimal. From there you gauge and see where you're at after a couple of weeks. If you're staying stagnant in weight, then you can add another 100 calories or so and reassess. It's a blueprint, it's a plan, but going on without it could lead to poor results.

Let me expand on this with some helpful tools:

Here is a good way to get a solid estimate of your caloric maintance level: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html -- For "Activity" put in "Little to no excerise" and then subtract your calories burned manually.

Age - 25?

Male
6'2"
170 LBS

So your Maintance Level (Or Calories/day to maintain your weight) is roughly 2500 calories. If you are looking to gain lean muscle, you need to eat more than that, and I would suggest adding 500 calories to your diet. Your diet breakdown for a lean bulk should run around a 40/40/20. In other words, 40% of your intake should be Carbs, 40% should be Protein, 20% "Good" fats. You should be taking in over a gram of protein for every pound that you weigh. So you should be shooting for 180 grams of protein a day to start.

Keeping in mind that every 3500 calories in 1 pound (Same applies if you are looking to lose weight, -3500 calories is a pound lost), if you are adding 500 calories to your diet everyday, after 1 week (7 days), you will gain a pound (7 x 500 = 3500).

I understand why some would say to stop hooping during a bulk, but if your macros are tight, there is no need to.
The only color that matters is GREEN