Author Topic: Official Fitness/Nutrition Thread  (Read 7235 times)

Re: Official Fitness/Nutrition Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »

Offline tfwhiteiii

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
While you would think this would be a good place to ask this, it seems like not a lot of people actually play bball that post here.

Anyways - I am playing in a rec league x1 a week and I play pick up 2-3 times a week on top of that.  I would really like to lift, because in my rec league in particular, I get knocked around like a bowling pin.  I am 6'2", but I only weigh 170 and a lot of the guys in my league are super strong and aggressive. 

My problem is that lifting will totally mess up my bball playing.  I can't shoot on the same day I lift arms, for instance.  Does anybody have any experience lifting while also playing competitive bball?  Like what should my target weight be, what should i focus on, etc.?  I know I shouldn't try to bulk up, but that's about it.

If you're a hardgainer, which by the sound of it you're, then you definitely need to up your daily caloric intake. Now, this doesn't mean to eat everything in sight, but you're probably eating less than your body needs to grow. Tracking your macro's is vital. You simply need to know what you're putting in your body in order to make necessary adjustments and subsequent progress. This is a tedious process, which entails weighing foods and a lot of meal prep, but the results will pay dividends. For example, if your body's maintenance level (the amount of calories your body takes in order to neither gain or lose weight) is 2250 calories per day, then a modest increase to around 2500 is likely optimal. From there you gauge and see where you're at after a couple of weeks. If you're staying stagnant in weight, then you can add another 100 calories or so and reassess. It's a blueprint, it's a plan, but going on without it could lead to poor results.

Let me expand on this with some helpful tools:

Here is a good way to get a solid estimate of your caloric maintance level: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html -- For "Activity" put in "Little to no excerise" and then subtract your calories burned manually.

Age - 25?

Male
6'2"
170 LBS

So your Maintance Level (Or Calories/day to maintain your weight) is roughly 2500 calories. If you are looking to gain lean muscle, you need to eat more than that, and I would suggest adding 500 calories to your diet. Your diet breakdown for a lean bulk should run around a 40/40/20. In other words, 40% of your intake should be Carbs, 40% should be Protein, 20% "Good" fats. You should be taking in over a gram of protein for every pound that you weigh. So you should be shooting for 180 grams of protein a day to start.

Keeping in mind that every 3500 calories in 1 pound (Same applies if you are looking to lose weight, -3500 calories is a pound lost), if you are adding 500 calories to your diet everyday, after 1 week (7 days), you will gain a pound (7 x 500 = 3500).

I understand why some would say to stop hooping during a bulk, but if your macros are tight, there is no need to.

Counting calories or other macros with a phone app will drive you mad.  And to be honest, unless you're working out a ton (which none of us should be doing anyways) or are like 6'6" or taller 3500 calories is too much.  If you need 3500 calories to satisfy your hunger, you are either a.) working out too hard and/or b.) not eating the right food.

During the summer months, I work out twice a week (two total body workouts - squats, dips benches, deadlifts, pullups) and play basketball anywhere from 4-11 times a week  (playing ball the same day I go through my workouts is tough, but I admit I can't help myself sometimes.)  I eat a little more volume then, but not that much more.  Winter I cut way back.  However, I end up lifting more - my workouts become more isolation workouts but they are spread over a few more days.  However, I cut way back on my hoop (love pickup games in sweltering 95 degree heat - can't stand them in a rubbery, gym that smells like paint.)

I eat two meals a day.  I don't count the calories, but it's roughly around 2,200-2,2700 calories in the vicinity of a ~1.5 of meat (give or take), eggs, veggies tossed in here or there, and a lot of fats to keep me satiated and to also absorb nutrition from the food.  A lot of nutrients, particularly vitamins are fat soluble.  So you may be eating these huge salads, but if you are eating them with some low-fat junk dressing, you are doing nothing to your body besides making you a bit fatter I guess.

I admit I won't have much time to get involved in this thread, so from someone who's been doing all kinds of workouts and diets for the last 15 years - from long distance running, to leisure sports, to yoga, to strength training, to resistance/circuit/HIIT training, whatever.  Here's my advice to a simple, easy way to live healthy:

*Eat infrequently, but eat in volume.  As stated, I eat two meals a day - that's plenty.  When you do eat, eat a feast.
*Eat a decent amount of protein to help your body repair and eat lots of fats for fuel and to keep you from getting hungry.
*Don't eat junk like breads, pastas, cereals, and pretty much anything with sugars.
*Don't ever get on a treadmill.  Cardio should be fun stuff (for me - basketball.)  If you are just obsessed with cardio, do a couple of sprints here and there and nothing more.
*I love yoga, but realize it for what it is - it's good for flexibility, recuperating your body, and for the mind.  But if you're huffing and puffing after some vinyasa practice with even the toughest poses where you just race along, then that means you are just tremendously out of shape.  As stated, yoga should be used for recuperating yourself and clearing the mind.  It doesn't do anything to stimulate fat burning hormones.
*If you want to take your body to the next level, then I'd suggest lifting twice but no more than three times in a week.  Shouldn't really be 'working out' anymore than two hours a week.

That's my 2, 3, or 5 cents whatever.  Pretty much the only way to go.  I've used my body as a guinea pig over the last 15 years - and I've been following this method for around the last three now.  It's the healthiest and oh yeah, it's the EASIEST and most enjoyable.

Good luck.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:36 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I agree not neglect the lower body. 

Even doing 100 bodyweight squats or burpees everyday or every other day can be a good way to begin strengthening the lower body

100 Burpees a day in addition to cardio and lifting?  I think I would die.  Im just getting back into shape, lost 50 lbs and 25 burpees kill me at my gym. 

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
While you would think this would be a good place to ask this, it seems like not a lot of people actually play bball that post here.

Anyways - I am playing in a rec league x1 a week and I play pick up 2-3 times a week on top of that.  I would really like to lift, because in my rec league in particular, I get knocked around like a bowling pin.  I am 6'2", but I only weigh 170 and a lot of the guys in my league are super strong and aggressive. 

My problem is that lifting will totally mess up my bball playing.  I can't shoot on the same day I lift arms, for instance.  Does anybody have any experience lifting while also playing competitive bball?  Like what should my target weight be, what should i focus on, etc.?  I know I shouldn't try to bulk up, but that's about it.

If you're a hardgainer, which by the sound of it you're, then you definitely need to up your daily caloric intake. Now, this doesn't mean to eat everything in sight, but you're probably eating less than your body needs to grow. Tracking your macro's is vital. You simply need to know what you're putting in your body in order to make necessary adjustments and subsequent progress. This is a tedious process, which entails weighing foods and a lot of meal prep, but the results will pay dividends. For example, if your body's maintenance level (the amount of calories your body takes in order to neither gain or lose weight) is 2250 calories per day, then a modest increase to around 2500 is likely optimal. From there you gauge and see where you're at after a couple of weeks. If you're staying stagnant in weight, then you can add another 100 calories or so and reassess. It's a blueprint, it's a plan, but going on without it could lead to poor results.

Let me expand on this with some helpful tools:

Here is a good way to get a solid estimate of your caloric maintance level: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html -- For "Activity" put in "Little to no excerise" and then subtract your calories burned manually.

Age - 25?

Male
6'2"
170 LBS

So your Maintance Level (Or Calories/day to maintain your weight) is roughly 2500 calories. If you are looking to gain lean muscle, you need to eat more than that, and I would suggest adding 500 calories to your diet. Your diet breakdown for a lean bulk should run around a 40/40/20. In other words, 40% of your intake should be Carbs, 40% should be Protein, 20% "Good" fats. You should be taking in over a gram of protein for every pound that you weigh. So you should be shooting for 180 grams of protein a day to start.

Keeping in mind that every 3500 calories in 1 pound (Same applies if you are looking to lose weight, -3500 calories is a pound lost), if you are adding 500 calories to your diet everyday, after 1 week (7 days), you will gain a pound (7 x 500 = 3500).

I understand why some would say to stop hooping during a bulk, but if your macros are tight, there is no need to.

Counting calories or other macros with a phone app will drive you mad.  And to be honest, unless you're working out a ton (which none of us should be doing anyways) or are like 6'6" or taller 3500 calories is too much.  If you need 3500 calories to satisfy your hunger, you are either a.) working out too hard and/or b.) not eating the right food.

During the summer months, I work out twice a week (two total body workouts - squats, dips benches, deadlifts, pullups) and play basketball anywhere from 4-11 times a week  (playing ball the same day I go through my workouts is tough, but I admit I can't help myself sometimes.)  I eat a little more volume then, but not that much more.  Winter I cut way back.  However, I end up lifting more - my workouts become more isolation workouts but they are spread over a few more days.  However, I cut way back on my hoop (love pickup games in sweltering 95 degree heat - can't stand them in a rubbery, gym that smells like paint.)

I eat two meals a day.  I don't count the calories, but it's roughly around 2,200-2,2700 calories in the vicinity of a ~1.5 of meat (give or take), eggs, veggies tossed in here or there, and a lot of fats to keep me satiated and to also absorb nutrition from the food.  A lot of nutrients, particularly vitamins are fat soluble.  So you may be eating these huge salads, but if you are eating them with some low-fat junk dressing, you are doing nothing to your body besides making you a bit fatter I guess.

I admit I won't have much time to get involved in this thread, so from someone who's been doing all kinds of workouts and diets for the last 15 years - from long distance running, to leisure sports, to yoga, to strength training, to resistance/circuit/HIIT training, whatever.  Here's my advice to a simple, easy way to live healthy:

*Eat infrequently, but eat in volume.  As stated, I eat two meals a day - that's plenty.  When you do eat, eat a feast.
*Eat a decent amount of protein to help your body repair and eat lots of fats for fuel and to keep you from getting hungry.
*Don't eat junk like breads, pastas, cereals, and pretty much anything with sugars.
*Don't ever get on a treadmill.  Cardio should be fun stuff (for me - basketball.)  If you are just obsessed with cardio, do a couple of sprints here and there and nothing more.
*I love yoga, but realize it for what it is - it's good for flexibility, recuperating your body, and for the mind.  But if you're huffing and puffing after some vinyasa practice with even the toughest poses where you just race along, then that means you are just tremendously out of shape.  As stated, yoga should be used for recuperating yourself and clearing the mind.  It doesn't do anything to stimulate fat burning hormones.
*If you want to take your body to the next level, then I'd suggest lifting twice but no more than three times in a week.  Shouldn't really be 'working out' anymore than two hours a week.

That's my 2, 3, or 5 cents whatever.  Pretty much the only way to go.  I've used my body as a guinea pig over the last 15 years - and I've been following this method for around the last three now.  It's the healthiest and oh yeah, it's the EASIEST and most enjoyable.

Good luck.

You totally misread my post...

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I believe you can lift same day but not crazy just do a 80/20 work load. (80/20 work load is 80% of normal weight for current set and only 20% of normal set's reps.) That should be a quick workout that is a little warm up boost that won't wear you out.

On weight I'd say your target should be based on game style.  If you want to be a half court, and scrappy in the paint player you can bulk up to 220-225lbs at 6'2. I was 220-223lbs at 6' in a req league because our team was undersized and our biggest two players at 6'5 and 6'7 wanted to be wings, smh.

Personally I prefer being a full court pest. My best basketball weight for that play style was built around speed,  explosiveness (dunking). I was at 173-178lbs. If you want that kind of fast and flying around play at 6'2 I expect a weight about 190-205lbs would be good.

Most importantly is comfort and health.  Be careful on the weight you take on and the strength. More heavy and powerful doesn't always work for the high stamina, up and down sports play of basketball. You may be at the right weight right now and just need to work on style of play/role with the team.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Just bought an alkaline water machine. Does anyone else here drink alkaline water? And the effects it's had on your life?

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Literally gained 10+ lb. over the past 2 days.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Literally gained 10+ lb. over the past 2 days.

I know that feel. I'm one of those people who gain 10 lbs if I even have a beer. Intermittent fasting is the way to go.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
http://jonnybowden.com/alkaline-myths/

That's not what I was asking for.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to be rude, but I did research it a lot and had already seen that link, but the question was to people who have drank it. I'm not here asking people to find me links. I want your personal experience.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:56:03 PM by ronaldo943 »

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I'll give you the "old guy version." Eat what you enjoy, life is short.

My aging (84 at the time)Aunt Julie was talking to my Mother in 1968..."Patty? I just don't like diets. All of my friends go to the doctor and he puts them on diets and they die." If you eat eat 6 chocolate covered burgers a day and wash it down three strawberry daiquiri's? No diet book is gonna save you. You are trying to kill yourself and that is your gig.

Exercise:

Big, complicated exercise campaigns are great, I've been there, but, they are way to easy to put off.

Interval training is very good...look it up.

One guy did the "cover ground like a fox" theory which is basically his interpretation of interval training for roadwork. First you walk, then you jog, then you gallop, then you sprint then you just mix it the hell up...who cares? This presents a varied "stress to rest to stress" pattern on your body which is "proven." 

You must do yoga and this is why (ladies? No disrespect intended) the women in yoga class are gorgeous and are wearing very tight clothing. Actually that is the most important reason, but there is another. Yoga is designed to get oxygenated blood to very part of your body. EVERY part. In our world, whether we sit, walk or lift weights too much of our tissue does not get oxygen. Everyone knows you have to "stretch and warm up." Do it the yoga way.

Be properly hydrated 24/7. Dehydration is a 100% ground beef disaster.

If you can't get to the gym walk. Walking is the best form of exercise there is. It does NOT stress your knees, back, shoulders, elbows hips anything. I gave a ride to a guy once, it was pouring rain and he was walking. He was 5'6". So i ask him.."you like walking?" He goes "I walk 6 miles every day to work. and then back home." I ask him "why?"

"I had diabetes and a heart condition I weighed 235 pounds, I was 30 years old." I asked him him how much he weighed now..."146 pounds and stopped taking meds a year ago."

Don't sweat the details just walk every day...it's free.

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Cool, TPs for the advice so far!  I already started lifting after a several year hiatus and I think I'll get into at least basic form by the time the New Years rush happens.  While it is annoying, it always injects new blood into my weekly pick up games so that's great.

Anyways, I am a very hard gainer.  I know the filters are super strong on this site, but I typically do a "Miami Heat" like 3x a day normally.  My body just passes food right through.  I'll try upping my intake.