Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82592 times)

Re: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
couple observations from the round of 64s first day.

Saunders the SG from Harvard is an NBA prospect. I would love for the Cs to draft him in 2nd round. Has great size at SG, great handle for his size, can create space, and high IQ player

Poeltl, he had a weird match up as SFA is very undersized. This led to a great game stat wise but what was more impressive was how seamlessly he was able to make the switches on D. SFA was running a ton of screens which UTAH was switching on everything despite this Poeltl was able to stay on the court this really shows his promise as a P&R NBA defender.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Was doing some basic stat research on Prozingis

His per 40 stats in the ACB compared to other ACB bigs at a similar age

Prozingis (19yr old) 18.6pts 46FG%  33%3PT on 4 attempts  8.6rb 1.5stl 1.8blk

Ibaka      (19yr old) 17.7pts  55FG% .25%3PT on .3attempts 11.2rb .8stl 2.5blk

P Gasol    (20yr old) 20pts    54FG% 36%3PT on 2.7attempts 9.4rb 2.1stl 2.2blk

Splitter    (21yr old) 16.5pts 57FG% 03PT------------------------- 9.1rb 1.6stl 1.8blk

Varejo     (21yr old) 15pts      49FG% 27%3PT on 2.1attempts 8.8rb 2.5stl 1.5blk

M Gasol   (21yr old) 18.8pts 59FG% 41%3PT on 0.6attempts 9.7rb 1.5stl 1.5blk

His FG% is nearly 10% lower than most of the guys you listed.. that is a HUGE dropoff...

« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2015, 03:55:23 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Was doing some basic stat research on Prozingis

His per 40 stats in the ACB compared to other ACB bigs at a similar age

Prozingis (19yr old) 18.6pts 46FG%  33%3PT on 4 attempts  8.6rb 1.5stl 1.8blk

Ibaka      (19yr old) 17.7pts  55FG% .25%3PT on .3attempts 11.2rb .8stl 2.5blk

P Gasol    (20yr old) 20pts    54FG% 36%3PT on 2.7attempts 9.4rb 2.1stl 2.2blk

Splitter    (21yr old) 16.5pts 57FG% 03PT------------------------- 9.1rb 1.6stl 1.8blk

Varejo     (21yr old) 15pts      49FG% 27%3PT on 2.1attempts 8.8rb 2.5stl 1.5blk

M Gasol   (21yr old) 18.8pts 59FG% 41%3PT on 0.6attempts 9.7rb 1.5stl 1.5blk

His FG% is nearly 10% lower than most of the guys you listed.. that is a HUGE dropoff...

You have to factor in 3pt attempts and his comparative age. He is shooting 4 3s a game only l gasol and varejo shot more then 2. He is also 19 while most of these guys where 21.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2015, 06:59:14 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Great matchup today with Ohio st vs Arizona.

Arizona should win this one as they will physically be alot for Ohio st to handle. The interesting thing is going to be watching this draft best perimeter scorer vs its best over all defender. Russell vs Hollis-Jefferson is a rare matchup of two prospects with conflicting elite skills. A strong showing by Hollis-Jefferson could push him up close to the lottery in the upcoming draft.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Prozingis is going to be gone, by the time we pick.

« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
keeping this thread going,

I am going to update my draft tiers article I wrote in the fan posts but wanted to throw out my quick thoughts on guys who are helping/hurting them selves in the tourney

Winslow, the big winner he looks like a much more complete player and is playing with a ton of energy. It is also really promising that he is hitting 3s at a nice clip. I had previously viewed him as the 9th player in this draft and the first member of the 3rd tier but now I think he warrants a jump up and could go anywhere from 5th-9th.

Poeltl, he really seemed to step up his intensity in the tourney. He is really raw but watching him vs Okafor and against the the small lineup of SF Austin really shows his physical potential. The fact that his biggest weakness is his strength is very promising. He looks like a kid who will have no problem adding 15-20 lbs as he gets into his early 20s. If he enters he is a lock to go lottery and a player I would love to see in Green.

Hollis-Jefferson, if only he could shoot. He has been the consummate energy/hustle guy. A rare player who has guarded the best scoring guard (Russell) and the best scoring big (Kaminsky) in the same Tourney. Is painfully stuck as with limited offense but will make it in the NBA on energy and D alone. One glimmer of hope is the fact that he is getting to the FT line and seems to be improving there.

Dekker
, while Kaminsky was the focus all regular season and Dekker struggled with injures he has suddenly exploded.  He has always been a player who scouts seem to be high on that never really showed it on the court, untill now. RD 1 20pts, RD 2 17pts, RD 3 23, RD 4 27. It also is very impressive that the 3rd and 4th round games where against Arizona and UNC two teams full on NBA length and athleticism. He is a kid who is peaking at the right time and his production coupled with size should push him into a spot in the post lottery teens. If the Cs make the playoffs and dont trade up I could see DA taking him at 15/16. 

Dawson, he isnt flashy but if he can prove to teams that he can improve his shot I can see him going early second. He has the perfect game/physical profile for a utility 3/4 in the mold of a poor mans Drayomd Green. While he isnt putting up big scoring numbers he is rebounding, defending and blocking shots.

Lyles, I was guilty of ignoring Lyles during the regular season and focusing on Towns, WCS and Johnson. I always just looked at him as a non shooting SF that was just big and athletic. The more I have seen of him this tourney it is clear he is a special player and on his way to being a very versatile starting PF. His mobility and teamates actually skewed my perception of him. I didnt realize how big he actually measured at 6'9 (with out shoes) and a 7'3.5" wingspan he is taller/longer then alot of starting PFs in the NBA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2015, 08:18:58 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Couple of bummer thoughts. 

If Brooklyn does not make the playoffs, ATL can win it all, and potentially wind up with a very good draft pick via the right to swap.

On the same thought, Indiana, could also miss the playoffs, draft a good prospect and get Paul George back next year.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2015, 08:30:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My thoughts on what I've seen so far and I've watched most games.

I think Okafur has been disappointing and I'm worried he'd be Big no defense Al Jefferson in the NBA.
Dekker is being so blown up over a few nice baskets. He can't guard a chair. Whoever takes him in the top 15 is going to be very sorry when he turns out to be Troy Murphy's poor nephew.

Kaminsky has some NBA potential with his size. I guess the real question is about his strength and toughness. It's one thing to beat up on 18 and 19 year old kids. It's another to back down NBA small forwards and guys like Marcus Smart. He's not a great athlete, but there is a crack of light there.

Winslow was always going to rise once it came time for all the marbles.

Towns is in front of Okafur by a wide margin and I think Mudiay is actually in front of Okafur now as far as the first,  second and third picks go.
my first official mock draft:

1)Towns
2)Mudiay
3)Okafur
4) Russell
5)Winslow
6)Porzingis
7)Stanley Johnson
8)Willy Cauley Stein
9)Mario Heznoja
10)Kelly Oubre
11) Turner
12)Grant
13)Kaminsky
14) Lyles
15)Portis
16)Looney
17)Poeltl
18)Levert
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2015, 08:40:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
If Dekker does well against KY, and I think it will be a true test for him, I may cut him some slack.  Ky frontcourt has NBA size.

« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I think Okafur has been disappointing and I'm worried he'd be Big no defense Al Jefferson in the NBA.
Dekker is being so blown up over a few nice baskets. He can't guard a chair. Whoever takes him in the top 15 is going to be very sorry when he turns out to be Troy Murphy's poor nephew.

Kaminsky has some NBA potential with his size. I guess the real question is about his strength and toughness. It's one thing to beat up on 18 and 19 year old kids. It's another to back down NBA small forwards and guys like Marcus Smart. He's not a great athlete, but there is a crack of light there.

Towns is in front of Okafur by a wide margin and I think Mudiay is actually in front of Okafur now as far as the first,  second and third picks go.

1)Towns
2)Mudiay
3)Okafur
4) Russell
5)Winslow
6)Porzingis
7)Stanley Johnson
8)Willy Cauley Stein
9)Mario Heznoja
10)Kelly Oubre
11) Turner
12)Grant
13)Kaminsky
14) Lyles
15)Portis
16)Looney
17)Poeltl
18)Levert

I like this list. I'd move Kelly up, Johnson down, and put Dunn right around Kaminsky

« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Anyone think we have a chance to get Winslow?

« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Long gone, only a trade and I wonder if our parts will be enough, were I a GM I would want picks instead of Sully, KO, Young and crew.    I see us making the playoffs BTW.  Winslow is probably a top eight pick.

« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

1)Towns
2)Mudiay
3)Okafur
4) Russell
5)Winslow
6)Porzingis
7)Stanley Johnson
8)Willy Cauley Stein
9)Mario Heznoja
10)Kelly Oubre
11) Turner
12)Grant
13)Kaminsky
14) Lyles
15)Portis
16)Looney
17)Poeltl
18)Levert

I like this list. I'd move Kelly up, Johnson down, and put Dunn right around Kaminsky
I think Dunn stays off the list.  Johnson's about right and Oubre's about where he'd go, maybe go a little lower.

bottom line, C's will end up either at 11, 12 or 15 in the draft (barring a surprising stroke of luck in the lottery) and a good prospect will be available.
Turner, Poeltl and Portis are the ones I find intriguing by the 11th pick. 

« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
keeping this thread going,

I am going to update my draft tiers article I wrote in the fan posts but wanted to throw out my quick thoughts on guys who are helping/hurting them selves in the tourney

Winslow, the big winner he looks like a much more complete player and is playing with a ton of energy. It is also really promising that he is hitting 3s at a nice clip. I had previously viewed him as the 9th player in this draft and the first member of the 3rd tier but now I think he warrants a jump up and could go anywhere from 5th-9th.

Poeltl, he really seemed to step up his intensity in the tourney. He is really raw but watching him vs Okafor and against the the small lineup of SF Austin really shows his physical potential. The fact that his biggest weakness is his strength is very promising. He looks like a kid who will have no problem adding 15-20 lbs as he gets into his early 20s. If he enters he is a lock to go lottery and a player I would love to see in Green.

Hollis-Jefferson, if only he could shoot. He has been the consummate energy/hustle guy. A rare player who has guarded the best scoring guard (Russell) and the best scoring big (Kaminsky) in the same Tourney. Is painfully stuck as with limited offense but will make it in the NBA on energy and D alone. One glimmer of hope is the fact that he is getting to the FT line and seems to be improving there.

Dekker
, while Kaminsky was the focus all regular season and Dekker struggled with injures he has suddenly exploded.  He has always been a player who scouts seem to be high on that never really showed it on the court, untill now. RD 1 20pts, RD 2 17pts, RD 3 23, RD 4 27. It also is very impressive that the 3rd and 4th round games where against Arizona and UNC two teams full on NBA length and athleticism. He is a kid who is peaking at the right time and his production coupled with size should push him into a spot in the post lottery teens. If the Cs make the playoffs and dont trade up I could see DA taking him at 15/16. 

Dawson, he isnt flashy but if he can prove to teams that he can improve his shot I can see him going early second. He has the perfect game/physical profile for a utility 3/4 in the mold of a poor mans Drayomd Green. While he isnt putting up big scoring numbers he is rebounding, defending and blocking shots.

Lyles, I was guilty of ignoring Lyles during the regular season and focusing on Towns, WCS and Johnson. I always just looked at him as a non shooting SF that was just big and athletic. The more I have seen of him this tourney it is clear he is a special player and on his way to being a very versatile starting PF. His mobility and teamates actually skewed my perception of him. I didnt realize how big he actually measured at 6'9 (with out shoes) and a 7'3.5" wingspan he is taller/longer then alot of starting PFs in the NBA.
I'm a bit intrigued with Ronda Hollis-Jefferson. He has a great handle and is one of the better athletes in the draft. If he can develop a jump shot, he could be a similar player to a Paul George. If we we get the 16th pick, I would probably prefer him over someone like Lyles.

« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Does Towns have thin legs?

They looked small to me during the game last night. I thought Towns had problems over-powering the smaller Kaminsky in post ups. Did not think Towns got enough power in his legs. Wasn't able to move Kaminsky as easily as I expected. Skinny legs? Problem with lower body strength? 

A bit like Dwight Howard who has great upper body strength but struggles to move people around in the post with his lower body. Always hurt him as a power-based post up scorer (rather than skill-based / finesse-based moves). Allowed guys like Perk with strong lower base to bother him. I wonder if Towns will have similar issues (as go-to scorer in post).

Seemed to go away from the basket on his shot attempts out of the post as well. Faded slightly on his hook shots and turnaround jump shot. I wonder if that is connected to legs / lower body strength also.  I don't know. I just expected him to do more against Kaminsky. Disappointed at his inability to punish Kaminsky. You'd think a guy with Towns size and skill would fare better.