Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82579 times)

It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Its to early in the NBA and NCAA season to really talk draft but I have a few thoughts and they are positive for the Cs. My main point is this class looks to have a clear top 3 then a good but evenly talented next 12-15. The thing that works really well for the Cs is the fact that alot of this talent lies in the 3 and the 5 positions. Granted trades can happen and things can change but the current Cs roster has youth at PG (Smart), SG (AB, Young) and PF (Sully, KO, Powell). Depending on how you view young that leaves room for a young 3 and 5.

Looking at the projected 1st round from draft express.

Centers

Okafor      #1
Towns      #3
WCS         # 9
Turner      #14
Johnson    #20
Kaminsky  #21

I'm not high on Kaminsky but the other 5 should could very well be good to great starting centers. With the exception of Towns I left of a number of 4/5s in the draft. I could see five of these guys as lottery picks.

Small Forwards

Oubre    #4
Hezonia #5 (6'8 so i count him as 3)
Winslow #7
Johnson #8
Dekker   #11
Hollis-jefferson #17

That is a talented group I have been impressed with Winslow and loved Hollis-Jefferson last season. Dekker should have a break out year and measured better then I expected at a legit 6'9 over the summer. Johnson is a beast with a build like Ron Artest. I expect all 6 to go in the lottery.

Those two list could easily have 11 of the 14 lottery picks. Add from draft express  2PGs and 3 PFs that leaves 16 players. If the roster stays as it is I expect the Cs to fight for a playoff spot this should still leave them in the range for one of these high level SFs or Centers. My hope right now is Turner the under athletic but long and big Center from Texas or WCS the elite rim protector. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:42:17 PM by Redz »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Its to early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Thanks for posting - I love Draft fodder....keep your eye on Justin Jackson from UNC, going to be a prolific scorer for the Heels...6'8 and really long and athletic and just a knack for getting easy buckets...

He will either stay one or two seasons at UNC but he will be one of the best freshman scorers in the country this year...

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:26:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I really hope we come away with one of the top 4 centers. Short of that I don't care.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:37:35 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I really hope we come away with one of the top 4 centers. Short of that I don't care.
a top four center from the list above? almost a given in this draft. and alexander also should be included in this group. 6' 8" height, but 9' 0" standing reach (same as olly but alexander can jump higher.)

on top of that, it will be interesting to see what danny does with the LAC and Philly picks, which will be in end of the first round and probably #1 second round pick. if there is talent there, danny should be able to spot it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
a top four center from the list above? almost a given in this draft. and alexander also should be included in this group. 6' 8" height, but 9' 0" standing reach (same as olly but alexander can jump higher.)

on top of that, it will be interesting to see what danny does with the LAC and Philly picks, which will be in end of the first round and probably #1 second round pick. if there is talent there, danny should be able to spot it.

Or package them to move up.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Alexandre and Harrell need to considered.

And we can also only dream about drafting E. Mudiay at this point. Kid is going to be a stud.  Mudiay and Smart would be a terrific backcourt pair for the future

Im not that big on Okafor. Like Towns better.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

And we can also only dream about drafting E. Mudiay at this point. Kid is going to be a stud.  Mudiay and Smart would be a terrific backcourt pair for the future

I think Harrell doesn't seem like the type of Center that would pan out well. His wingspan is great, but I would like someone like Towns/Birch that is at least over 6'9.

I'm not that big on Okafor either. He seems like an quicker Al Jefferson, but seems like he'll really stink on defense. I would love Towns though. He's my binkie, he really seems like he'll do well in the NBA once he improves his range. I even think he would be a better player at PF. Imagine if we could get Towns/Birch front court...  :o :o :o
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I think Harrell doesn't seem like the type of Center that would pan out well. His wingspan is great, but I would like someone like Towns/Birch that is at least over 6'9.

I'm not that big on Okafor either. He seems like an quicker Al Jefferson, but seems like he'll really stink on defense. I would love Towns though. He's my binkie, he really seems like he'll do well in the NBA once he improves his range. I even think he would be a better player at PF. Imagine if we could get Towns/Birch front court...  :o :o :o

Harrell is like Marcus Smart pf version . Relentless effort.  I would be happy if we got him

Towns is loooong..he looks like he has a 9'5 reach or longer. Decent athlete, iq, skills. 

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I disagree with you on Alexander and other have mentioned Harrell. I like both players especially Harrell but this team needs size.

I agree that the clips pick and philis 2nd will be interesting. If not used to trade up the Cs will have two nice picks to take chances on high ceiling risk picks. Should be a fun draft this year.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
6'8" is a tweener for a C.  Too short, Ben Wallace was the exception not the norm.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
6'8" is a tweener for a C.  Too short, Ben Wallace was the exception not the norm.
I would love one of the Centers that has prototypical size.

However, since we already play two 4's, I think we could get away with doing the same next year provided the 4 we add is a young, athletic, shotblocking, rim roller. Alexander and Herrell both fit the bill.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Want to point out that tonight at 7 on ESPN 2 Texas plays Iowa. Myles Turner is a guy who could be an option for the Cs. He will be up against two productive upper classman bigs with NBA body size in Woodward (7'1) and Olasseni (long and 6'10). Should be an interesting early season look at him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I want both Emmanuel Mudiay (superstar potential and can just flat out play basketball) and Jahlil Okafor (all star potential and just a very good basketball player... Nice feel and IQ good size, underrated athlete. Moves very well

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Its to early in the NBA and NCAA season to really talk draft but I have a few thoughts and they are positive for the Cs. My main point is this class looks to have a clear top 3 then a good but evenly talented next 12-15. The thing that works really well for the Cs is the fact that alot of this talent lies in the 3 and the 5 positions. Granted trades can happen and things can change but the current Cs roster has youth at PG (Smart), SG (AB, Young) and PF (Sully, KO, Powell). Depending on how you view young that leaves room for a young 3 and 5.

Looking at the projected 1st round from draft express.

Centers

Okafor      #1
Towns      #3
WCS         # 9
Turner      #14
Johnson    #20
Kaminsky  #21

I'm not high on Kaminsky but the other 5 should could very well be good to great starting centers. With the exception of Towns I left of a number of 4/5s in the draft. I could see five of these guys as lottery picks.

Small Forwards

Oubre    #4
Hezonia #5 (6'8 so i count him as 3)
Winslow #7
Johnson #8
Dekker   #11
Hollis-jefferson #17

That is a talented group I have been impressed with Winslow and loved Hollis-Jefferson last season. Dekker should have a break out year and measured better then I expected at a legit 6'9 over the summer. Johnson is a beast with a build like Ron Artest. I expect all 6 to go in the lottery.

Those two list could easily have 11 of the 14 lottery picks. Add from draft express  2PGs and 3 PFs that leaves 16 players. If the roster stays as it is I expect the Cs to fight for a playoff spot this should still leave them in the range for one of these high level SFs or Centers. My hope right now is Turner the under athletic but long and big Center from Texas or WCS the elite rim protector.

Not familiar with the freshman, but I really liked what I saw from Hollis-Jefferson last year, WCS has awesome tools, and Kaminsky is just a skilled basketball player.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Kevin Looney from UCLA is having an intriguing start. Kind of a pf with wing skills, which we may already have but he's a strong rebounder and very athletic. Looks like he's making a big leap and trying to live up to his loftey Durant Comps.

Also definetly keeping an eye on Amida Brimah as a potential rim protector with the clips pick and Chris Walker if he can learn how to play basketball.

Of the top, Towns would be the best, Okafor and Sullinger wouldn't work although if BPA I'd take Okafor, Mudiay would be incredible although not sure he's a CBS player. Would be thrilled with Stanley Johnson and Oubre would be our most creative scorer. Turner has the most to prove IMO but if he pulls it together he'd fit this team like a glove.