Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82715 times)

Re: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Should be able to get a solid prospect at SF and C with those picks.

I'd settle for a perimeter scorer and C, be it SG or C.   But it is almost best to take the best player available.
thoroughly agree with the BPA philosophy and I think at those picks, the BPA at #5 will either be a SF/SG or C.  The later pick will present more of a question as to BPA and will probably (IMHO) be used towards filling the other hole not plugged by the higher pick.

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Said it plenty of times before, I don't care for Okafor. He does not fit our need at all and we'd still be a very poor defensive team. Towns is who I want. Whatever we do though I want to take 2 centers with our two picks. I want 7 foot defenders and there are a few of those coming out next year.

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Haven't seen anyone mention Kevon Looney from UCLA or Chris McCullough from Syracuse.

Looney is having a very strong season particularly on the boards, he could easily be the next "Power 3". He's more of a PF that can handle than an SF who can bang. If you haven't caught a game of his yet check him out. Really jumps off the screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdfJN5SInmA

Chris McCullough is a problem for draft experts. Written off before the season, he's now beginning to make a case for being selected in the first round. Very long and coordinated, he'll need to put on weight but has all of the tools to be an impact 4 in the association.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsnKssgI3RU

Neither of these players may be right for us but when players like this rise it pushes players that we have a higher chance of drafting back.

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Just to throw this in from time to time here, C's are sitting with the 6th and 23rd picks right now.  Should be able to get a stud and a good role player out of this draft right now.  Picks figue to improve once NY, Detroit and everyone not Philly gets it together in the East.  Clips figure to slide a couple of spots when OKC gets rolling and the Eastern playoff teams start playing the weaker Eastern teams more frequently.

Per draft express Mock that would put the Cs right in range for both UK centers WCS at #9 and Dakari Johnson at #22. Either would be a nice addition.
update:

C's sitting with picks 9 and 26 as of last night.

NBADdraft has us with Winslow from Duke and Deion Wright from Utah.  both SGs.  not digging that.

with Dakari Johnson going at 28, I really don't see that happening where we'd pass on him for yet another SG.

Draft Express has us grabbing Porzingas at 9 but doesn't project past pick 25 so no one shown for that Clips pick.

still think our pick and the Clips pick will drop and barring lottery magic will settle around #5 and #22 in the end.  Should be able to get a solid prospect at SF and C with those picks.
draftexpress has brice johnson at #26.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

who knows where the celtics will land how they will draft. draft express doesn't connect teams to players yet since there are so many variables that will change.

and for what it is worth, i think ainge will swing for the fences with his late first rounder and #31 from philly. at #31 they have obekpa, a pf/c who is averaging 9.9 points and 4.1 blocks a game for st johns.

historically, ainge has done better than most GM in drafting in the 20s and beyond. this will be an interesting draft.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 03:00:19 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I am grading some of these guys on game tape and stats and some just on stats, so my list definitely isn't perfect, but grading the top 20 picks from 1-5 stars, I see 2 potential 5-star guys (Mudiay, Towns), 3 potential 4-star guys (Okafor, Stanley, D'Angelo Russell), & at least 5 potential 3-star guys (Harrell, Looney, Winslow, WCS, Dakari) with potentially more for sure.

Mudiay
Towns

Okafor
Stanley Johnson
D'Angelo Russell

Harrell
Looney
Winslow
WCS
Dakari

I'm higher than average on Towns, Stanley, Russell, WCS, R. Hollis Jefferson & Trey Lyles.

I'm lower than average on Okafor, Harrell, Myles Turner, Justise Winslow, Caris LeVert, Cliff Alexander, and Sam Dekker.  Think they're all overrated or inferior to a similar prospect in a similar draft range.  But I need to see more and am loving the posting of upcoming games.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm watching the Kentucky/NC game.  WCS looks great.  Towns is struggling as he's getting pushed around by Kennedy Meeks.

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm watching the Kentucky/NC game.  WCS looks great.  Towns is struggling as he's getting pushed around by Kennedy Meeks.

I'm watching as well.

Draft Net has us picking at #9, #26, and #31. Based on their rankings, we would be able to take the following players at those slots:

9- Winslow, Cauley-Stein, Porzingis
26/31 (grouped together) Johnson, Walker, Harrison twins, Kaminsky (it's a stretch for him to be here)

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I want to say I was wrong about WCS, he has improved a lot. Give him credit he has turned himself into a good player. He does have some Tyson Chandler qualities.

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
I want to say I was wrong about WCS, he has improved a lot. Give him credit he has turned himself into a good player. He does have some Tyson Chandler qualities.

Yeah, I think a lot of people criticizing him haven't seen him play yet this year.  He has really improved.

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Yeah, I think a lot of people criticizing him haven't seen him play yet this year.  He has really improved.

ESPN2 commentators just said the exact same thing, calling him one of the most improved in college basketball. They said he has the mobility to defend 1-4. Not sure about 1s, but even 2s, 3s and 4s is pretty impressive.

Also said he was a good rim protector.

Watching Arkansas game on ESPN2. Bobby Portis is beasting. Check him out here or Espn2 now.

http://www.draftexpress.com/video/11585/

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

ESPN2 commentators just said the exact same thing, calling him one of the most improved in college basketball. They said he has the mobility to defend 1-4. Not sure about 1s, but even 2s, 3s and 4s is pretty impressive.

Watching Arkansas game on ESPN2. Bobby Portis is beasting. Check him out here or Espn2 now.

Just turned on the game.  Best part so far is Bobby Knight saying "that one and done crap..."  Love that guy.  He pulls no punches.

I'm not familiar with Portis, but Bobby is a big fan.

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The draft can't come soon enough for me, I rewatched last night's game.

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Just turned on the game.  Best part so far is Bobby Knight saying "that one and done crap..."  Love that guy.  He pulls no punches.

I'm not familiar with Portis, but Bobby is a big fan.

Knight does tell it as he sees it. He's not a big NBA fan. Called them the most selfish league in sports. Hard to disagree.

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
3 potential first round picks on display now in Kansas vs Utah on ESPN.

Alexander, Wright (Dorell's brother) and Selden (who hasn't had a great year so far) plus Ellis and Oubre.

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The draft can't come soon enough for me, I rewatched last night's game.

Too bad they'll most likely fall short.......