Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82582 times)

Re: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm looking at Stanley Johnson or Justise Winslow.  Not impressed by Oubre.  Okafor is clearly a can't miss prospect, but we'll need to get lucky with the ping pong balls.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Johnson just turned 19 and seems to have really progressed over his first year. Solid rebounder and blocker. Improving on offense, assts, TOs, etc. What don't you like about his potential?

There are some folks who think the UK team this year could beat some NBA teams. 

The UK team has too much talent.  The talent could be there your just not seeing it as much as there is not enough playing time to go around.

Johnson more so then WCS would be a statistical beast if on a different team. Kennedy Meeks is averaging 14pt 10 rb 2blk in 23 min for UNC and is having an impressive season now that he has lost weight. If Johnson was in his position I would expect similar or slightly better production from him. With his physical profile and that level of statistical production he would certainly be most people lottery consideration.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Just to throw this in from time to time here, C's are sitting with the 6th and 23rd picks right now.  Should be able to get a stud and a good role player out of this draft right now.  Picks figue to improve once NY, Detroit and everyone not Philly gets it together in the East.  Clips figure to slide a couple of spots when OKC gets rolling and the Eastern playoff teams start playing the weaker Eastern teams more frequently.

Per draft express Mock that would put the Cs right in range for both UK centers WCS at #9 and Dakari Johnson at #22. Either would be a nice addition.

I don't get the fascination with WCS on this board. He's old as a C prospect and very tall, yet he's at best a mediocre rebounder, and has no range--even out to the FT line.

I think I'd reach down to Myles Turner and his funny gait before I'd take Stein.

WCS is so overrated on this board it's not even funny!  He will not be a good NBA player and Dakari Johnson will not be a good pro either.  No thanks to both of those guys.  People saying that WCS is like Tyson Chandler is just not true....

Johnson just turned 19 and seems to have really progressed over his first year. Solid rebounder and blocker. Improving on offense, assts, TOs, etc. What don't you like about his potential?
I think he can be a solid roleplayer similar to Perk, but I don't see the explosive athleticism in him that makes him a high upside prospect. I would be fine picking him with the Clippers pick but I wouldn't want him any earlier than that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
This week is quit for NBA draft prospect watch type games but Saturday has some good ones.

UNC vs UK 12:00 on CBS
              This could be a game to thrust Kennedy Meeks into the spot light. He has been playing great this season but the giants on UK will be a tough match-up. Aside from that UNC lacks the size to compete with UK but they are very athletic.

Michigan vs Arizona 5:15 ESPN
             Michigan is coming off an embarrassing loss. They have two 6'7 NBA prospects wings in LeVert and Irvin who will be matched up against likely loto picks Hollis-Jefferson and Stanley Johnson. Its rare to see two teams both with 6'7 wings with 1st round potential. 

UCLA vs Gonzaga 10:00pm on ESPN 2
            I will be watching just to see Looney. I haven't seen him play yet and Gonzaga has true NBA size. UCLA also has Powel and Alford who will be NBA players.

Utah vs Kansas 10:00pm ESPN
           Utah has two NBA prospects in 7' freshman Poeltl and  6'5 senior Wright. Poeltl vs Alexander will be the first good gauge of Poeltl talent vs NBA level prospects.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Towns had a big game yesterday.  Granted it was against Eastern Kentucky, but he went for 19 points on 8 of 9 shooting, 9 rebounds, and 4 blocks in just 23 minutes. WCS was dominant against Texas on Friday.  Myles Turner did absolutely nothing in that game.  He looked overmatched by WCS and the rest of Kentucky's trees.

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I have a feeling we're going to end up with Justice Winslow from Duke. I'm hoping for Okafor or Towns but I think a future line of Smart/Young/Winlsow would work really well together.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Stanley Johnson with the first pick, Dakari Johnson with the second???

We could call them the Law Firm. Johnson & Johnson  :P

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I like it,

Also the comp of S Johnson to Ron Artest / Meta world peace is pretty striking. Both 6'7 245 and their college freshman stats are nearly identical. Artest averaged more blocks and Johnson a few more points but very very similar.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

I like it,

Also the comp of S Johnson to Ron Artest / Meta world peace is pretty striking. Both 6'7 245 and their college freshman stats are nearly identical. Artest averaged more blocks and Johnson a few more points but very very similar.

I also like the idea of Willie Cauley-Stein then Rondae Hollis-Jefferson which seems a little more realistic....

Also the names? What's wrong with me  :P

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I like it,

I also like the idea of Willie Cauley-Stein then Rondae Hollis-Jefferson which seems a little more realistic....

Stanley Johnson, Justice Winslow and Cauley Stein are who I would target with our first pick.

With our second pick I want Hollis-Jefferson, Dakari Johnson or Chris Walker

So you guys pretty much covered everyone I like.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

I like it,

Stanley Johnson, Justice Winslow and Cauley Stein are who I would target with our first pick.

With our second pick I want Hollis-Jefferson, Dakari Johnson or Chris Walker

So you guys pretty much covered everyone I like.

It seems like there are a lot of good fits depending on where our draft picks land.

I also really like Justice Winslow.

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Just to throw this in from time to time here, C's are sitting with the 6th and 23rd picks right now.  Should be able to get a stud and a good role player out of this draft right now.  Picks figue to improve once NY, Detroit and everyone not Philly gets it together in the East.  Clips figure to slide a couple of spots when OKC gets rolling and the Eastern playoff teams start playing the weaker Eastern teams more frequently.

Per draft express Mock that would put the Cs right in range for both UK centers WCS at #9 and Dakari Johnson at #22. Either would be a nice addition.
update:

C's sitting with picks 9 and 26 as of last night.

NBADdraft has us with Winslow from Duke and Deion Wright from Utah.  both SGs.  not digging that.

with Dakari Johnson going at 28, I really don't see that happening where we'd pass on him for yet another SG.

Draft Express has us grabbing Porzingas at 9 but doesn't project past pick 25 so no one shown for that Clips pick.

still think our pick and the Clips pick will drop and barring lottery magic will settle around #5 and #22 in the end.  Should be able to get a solid prospect at SF and C with those picks.

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I see Wily Cauley-Stein in our future.

We will have our Legit Rim Protector prospect, and a lot more reason for optimism than we had with Fab Melo, but I somehow don't see us feeling great about it.

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Should be able to get a solid prospect at SF and C with those picks.

I'd settle for a perimeter scorer and C, be it SG or C.   But it is almost best to take the best player available.

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

I see Wily Cauley-Stein in our future.

We will have our Legit Rim Protector prospect, and a lot more reason for optimism than we had with Fab Melo, but I somehow don't see us feeling great about it.

This. I think we know exactly what we'd get with him. But who knows? If he pans out into a Tyson Chandler-esque center I'd be happy.

If we ended up with Cauley-Stein and Hollis-Jefferson and it translated into Tyson Chandler lite and YOUNG Gerald Wallace lite, that would be a solid draft.