Author Topic: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations  (Read 82714 times)

Re: It's too early to talk draft but some positive observations
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Was doing some basic stat research on Prozingis

His per 40 stats in the ACB compared to other ACB bigs at a similar age

Prozingis (19yr old) 18.6pts 46FG%  33%3PT on 4 attempts  8.6rb 1.5stl 1.8blk

Ibaka      (19yr old) 17.7pts  55FG% .25%3PT on .3attempts 11.2rb .8stl 2.5blk

P Gasol    (20yr old) 20pts    54FG% 36%3PT on 2.7attempts 9.4rb 2.1stl 2.2blk

Splitter    (21yr old) 16.5pts 57FG% 03PT------------------------- 9.1rb 1.6stl 1.8blk

Varejo     (21yr old) 15pts      49FG% 27%3PT on 2.1attempts 8.8rb 2.5stl 1.5blk

M Gasol   (21yr old) 18.8pts 59FG% 41%3PT on 0.6attempts 9.7rb 1.5stl 1.5blk

Missing from that is he plays fantastic defense....or at least as fantastic defensive instincts.  If he hit the weight room he could be a really good all around player.

Edit: Also, where are my manners?  TP for putting that together

I thought one of the knocks on him was his defense? Honestly I don't know much about the kid, but I thought he was Dirk-like in that his fantastic offense made up for his sub-par defense. Perhaps it was just his small/thin frame that I was hearing about with his defense.

If he has the tools and skills to be a two-way player, I'll be much higher on him.

« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Splitter    (21yr old) 16.5pts 57FG% 03PT------------------------- 9.1rb 1.6stl 1.8blk

Varejo     (21yr old) 15pts      49FG% 27%3PT on 2.1attempts 8.8rb 2.5stl 1.5blk

Missing from that is he plays fantastic defense....or at least as fantastic defensive instincts.  If he hit the weight room he could be a really good all around player.

Edit: Also, where are my manners?  TP for putting that together

I thought one of the knocks on him was his defense? Honestly I don't know much about the kid, but I thought he was Dirk-like in that his fantastic offense made up for his sub-par defense. Perhaps it was just his small/thin frame that I was hearing about with his defense.

If he has the tools and skills to be a two-way player, I'll be much higher on him.

Aside from highlight films I haven't had much luck finding real game footage online. draftexpress did a nice break down of one of his games. To me he looks to have the potential to be a two way player. On offense I like his prospects as a pick and pop/role big he also looks good shooting turn arounds and fades in the post. On D he seems to have active hands and good mobility for a 7'. He looks really long haven't found any measurements but I would guess 7' in shoes with at least a 7'3 wingspan. This length makes him very interesting as he should be able to provide some rim protection from the PF position. It has already been stated but his obvious negative is his strength but at 19 this can be worked on. Chad Ford has been really high on this kid and insists in a number of his chats that a few teams have him as a lock for the top 5. He also claims that if Prozingis was playing in the NCAA he would be a threat to unseat Okafor at #1.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:16 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
watched some of Ark vs Texas A&M last night.

Portis came out on fire and really showed off his range of offensive skills. He has good size (6'10" in shoes 7'1 wing and 235lb) with a nice face up and turn around jumper game. Lacks elite athleticism but has the looks on a nice 3rd big in the NBA should be a solid role player who gets drafted in the 20s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Thanks!  Now those are useful comparisons!

« Reply #244 on: March 12, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I haven't noted games to watch in a while but today (3/12 ) is looking really good. Ive listed the games that will feature possible 1st round / early 2nd rd picks. Im sure I have missed a couple

UNC vs Lousiville 2pm on ESPN
L -Harrell UNC-Meeks, Paige, Johnson

Arizona vs Cal 3pm Pac12
A- Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Ashley Cal- Wallace

Duke vs NC 7pm ESPN
D- Okafor, Winslow, Jones

Texas vs Iowa st 7pm ESPNU
T-Turner  I-Niang

TCU vs Kansas 2:30pm ESPN2
K-Oubre, Seldon

Miami vs ND 9pn ESPN
ND-Grant, jackson

Stanford vs Utah 11:30pm ESPN
U-Poeltl, Wright S-Brown, Randle

Ohia St vs Minn 8:30pm ESPN2
O-Russell

Vanderbilt vs Tennessee 7:00pn SECN
V-James

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #245 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  · 
Sevilla's Kristaps Porzingis, 19, impressing NBA executives on scouting trail in Spain. He's grown to 7-foot-1-plus, progressing into Top 5.

So it's fair to say that the top 5 (in no particular order) is shaping up to be Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Russell, and Porzingis.

« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Sevilla's Kristaps Porzingis, 19, impressing NBA executives on scouting trail in Spain. He's grown to 7-foot-1-plus, progressing into Top 5.

So it's fair to say that the top 5 (in no particular order) is shaping up to be Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Russell, and Porzingis.

good find I actually just copied and was about to post this exact thing. I agree that those 5 are likely locks for the top 5. Only way I see that changing (outside of injury) is if Johnson has an amazing tournement. Even then I think he and Hezonja are left as the 6th and 7th picks.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

good find I actually just copied and was about to post this exact thing. I agree that those 5 are likely locks for the top 5. Only way I see that changing (outside of injury) is if Johnson has an amazing tournement. Even then I think he and Hezonja are left as the 6th and 7th picks.

Good news for WCS fans like myself tho.  The farther down the board he is, the easier he will be to trade up for.

« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Good news for WCS fans like myself tho.  The farther down the board he is, the easier he will be to trade up for.
Kind of the way I feel as well, except if WCS plays in the NCAAs as well or better as he did in the SEC tournament, WCS might play his way into the top 5. I am assuming come the draft combine that WCS is going to be one of the most talked about athletes at the combine which is also going to be a big boost for him so with a big tourney, WCS could play himself out of any range the C's might be in to get him.

« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

WCS is who I want too, I just think it will cost too much to move up the 8-10 spots it will take to draft him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Kind of the way I feel as well, except if WCS plays in the NCAAs as well or better as he did in the SEC tournament, WCS might play his way into the top 5. I am assuming come the draft combine that WCS is going to be one of the most talked about athletes at the combine which is also going to be a big boost for him so with a big tourney, WCS could play himself out of any range the C's might be in to get him.

Yeah, both he and Stanley Johnson can play themselves to the top 5.  The ones who could bounce around are Mudaiy (especially of he skips or doesn't do much at the combine) and Hezonja.  But I'm going to keep hoping for WCS until he goes elsewhere.

« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yeah, both he and Stanley Johnson can play themselves to the top 5.  The ones who could bounce around are Mudaiy (especially of he skips or doesn't do much at the combine) and Hezonja.  But I'm going to keep hoping for WCS until he goes elsewhere.

Pretty sure Mudiay is a lock.

This was Ford recently on Johnson, who he has ranked #12.

Mar 11 Update: Scouts have been split on Oubre, Hezonja, Winslow and Johnson all season. But when recently polling scouts, it was clear that Johnson might be losing some ground. While he has an NBA body and a reputation as a winner, he's struggled a bit lately -- not only with his shooting but also with major defensive lapses. His play against Utah (3-for-19 from the field along with some lazy defense) earned him a spot on the bench. The scouts who have closely watched Johnson say that his reputation hasn't always lived up to his play this season.

He's not the athlete everyone says he is, nor does he have the motor everyone says he does. As one veteran scout said: "He takes plays off. His motor isn't always great and with the exception of a great NBA body, his tools aren't all they're made out to be. He struggles to finish at the rim. In my opinion, he's the most overhyped player in the draft."

« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mar 11 Update: Scouts have been split on Oubre, Hezonja, Winslow and Johnson all season. But when recently polling scouts, it was clear that Johnson might be losing some ground. While he has an NBA body and a reputation as a winner, he's struggled a bit lately -- not only with his shooting but also with major defensive lapses. His play against Utah (3-for-19 from the field along with some lazy defense) earned him a spot on the bench. The scouts who have closely watched Johnson say that his reputation hasn't always lived up to his play this season.

He's not the athlete everyone says he is, nor does he have the motor everyone says he does. As one veteran scout said: "He takes plays off. His motor isn't always great and with the exception of a great NBA body, his tools aren't all they're made out to be. He struggles to finish at the rim. In my opinion, he's the most overhyped player in the draft."
interesting.  have to admit if he's there at #10-15 when the C's pick, it'd be hard to believe a better prospect would still be available.

« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

interesting.  have to admit if he's there at #10-15 when the C's pick, it'd be hard to believe a better prospect would still be available.

If the Cs finish #12-#16 and Johnson is still on the board at 10 I hope DA really works to move up. I would send the Cs and Clips pick to get this kid. He may have holes in his game but at his age with his physical gifts and production in college I really cant see him falling that fare.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Johnson did not impress me in the games I watched.   I thought he took plays off too.