Author Topic: Kentucky v. Kansas Scouting Remarks  (Read 1626 times)

Kentucky v. Kansas Scouting Remarks
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Just watched the Kentucky-Kansas game, a few thoughts on some players:

KY

Towns, Fr- As advertised, like a Noel/Davis-lite.  Elite rim protector, shot blocker, great help D, rebounding.  Generally moved & engulfed air space or stood firm and stuck his giant arms into the air, eliminating opportunities for guys like Cliff Alexander & Selden, top 10/15 picks.  On O, beyond screen setting and offensive rebounding, he showed great passing skills and comfort reading the D at the top of the key.  His length gets him great looks at the rim, and he hit a running sky hook at one point.  Looks like a potential #1 pick if he shows shooting range.

Cauley-Stein, Jr- Showed great length and disruption on D, paired with Towns there was nothing Kansas could do to get shots within 12 feet of the basket.  Looks like the longest of the 3 KY centers, but thin, yet huge rebounding, led KY with 10 boards (4 off) in ~20 mins. Tentative on offense but scored inside, swished a 15-17 footer at the top of the key.

D. Johnson, So- Showed motor, desire and power on offense, as he was probably the biggest offensive standout of the three.  Consistently bullrushed the bucket, got 2 off rebounds, led KY with 11 points in 20 minutes.  Looked like a 7 foot Thomas Robinson on offense, and was a presence on offense, he blocked at least 1 shot, but least imposing of the 3.

M. Lee- Played well off the bench, 4 blocks and showed fluidity on offense.  Not many chances.

Andrew Harrison- Controlled the ball and managed the game and the talent well, shot great from 3, got to the line, dished a few dimes and played strong defense at the top of the key.

Trey Lyles- 4 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal in ~20 minutes, but interesting prospect. Freshman, 6'10" or so but can bang in the paint, grab boards, shoot from 3 and drive pretty well.  He was Indiana Mr Basketball and is a guy I'd like to see more, an 76ers pick candidate for me.

KANSAS

Kelly Oubre, Fr- Did not get many screens, isos, or clean opportunities, and despite that had only one turnover and one series of plays where he took over offensively.  Definitely looks young and did not have great basketball IQ or sense of movement on the court, but has good play making skills, good shooting fundamentals and looks like he could be a legit scorer at 2 or 3.  Looks a bit like James Young but even more raw than the JY I saw last year.

Cliff Alexander, Fr- At 6'8'' or so, was totally engulfed by the KY twin towers.  We don't have a need for that, especially with a potential top 8 pick and real talent at C/SF going that deep.

Wayne Selden- Leading Jayhawk scorer but 9 points on 12 shots, was virtually invisible when I was watching the game.  Would need more to go on to get a read on him.

Did anyone else watch the game?  Have any thoughts?  I came away thinking I'm open to getting any of the 3 KY centers, and maybe an Andrew Harrison / Lyles flier in the 2nd.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Kentucky v. Kansas Scouting Remarks
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:57:09 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Was it Andrew Harrison who hit all of those big shots for Kentucky in the tournament last year (along with James Young :))?  I don't remember which of the two Harrisons it was, but man, that kid was amazing in the biggest moments.  Where do I sign? ;D

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Was it Andrew Harrison who hit all of those big shots for Kentucky in the tournament last year (along with James Young :))?  I don't remember which of the two Harrisons it was, but man, that kid was amazing in the biggest moments.  Where do I sign? ;D

Actually I think it was Aaron Harrison. Andrew has always been viewed as the better player but if Aaron continues to hit big shots late he'd definetly be drafted ahead of his brother.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
My Celtics 1st Pick Target List:

Towns
Okafor
Mudiaye
Stanley Johnson
Justise Winslow
Myles Turner
Willie Cauley Stein
Kelly Oubre
Harrell

Clips / 6ers Pick / Trade Target List:

Dakari Johnson
Portis
Andrew Harrison
Looney
Trey Lyles
Hezonja

Cs should have 1 of the guys from the first group when picking, or a better player, & I'd be happy with any of them (at this point in the season). This list will of course be edited.

I wish I was able to watch Arizona tonight with Stanley Johnson & Hollis Jefferson, but I doubt I have the channel.  SJ would be a player I'd be interested in.  Does anyone have a stream? 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07