Author Topic: Sullinger playing like a borderline All-Star  (Read 24712 times)

Re: Sullinger playing like a borderline All-Star
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Sully needs to do the Insanity workout.

He must be doing that 5-6 times a day. All summer long I was hearing about how he was close to eating his way out of the league, now he's playing effectively for 30+ minutes a game. That's a remarkable transformation and he's not getting much credit for that.

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

He must be doing that 5-6 times a day. All summer long I was hearing about how he was close to eating his way out of the league, now he's playing effectively for 30+ minutes a game. That's a remarkable transformation and he's not getting much credit for that.

You're giving him credit for not gaining weight?  He certainly did not lose the weight that he intended to.  He's playing well because he is talented, but he would be better 20 pounds lighter.

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
he's playing effectively for 30+ minutes a game. That's a remarkable transformation and he's not getting much credit for that.

you should add  on one end of the court.

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like Sully, he has some nice all around skills. He is having a solid year. He has more basketball up side too.

BUT...I feel his non dedication to conditioning will hold him back from reaching his ceiling.
I understand he will never have a body like Bass, or Labron, but seriously, he didn't loose an ounce of weight during this off season, and I don't believe for one second he tried to change his eating habits at all.

When you choose to be a professional, and realize you have only one shot at a career, to not listen to experts and former players, and not give it 100%... is something I just don't understand.

I wouldn't want to wake up at the age of 45 and say, If only if I took conditioning seriously.

See: Big Baby 

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yeah but the rumors of him "eating himself out of the league" should never have come up in the first place. He's a professional athlete who has ZERO responsibility all summer other than working out. There is no excuse for him to come into camp out of shape and "almost there" in reference to playing time, all he had to do all summer was get in shape. So why is it a "remarkable transformation" that he went from eating to much to play 30 minutes a game? That's actually pathetic in my mind.

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

You're giving him credit for not gaining weight? 
Pretty sure he's giving him credit for the ability to play effectively for 30+ minutes a game.
He certainly did not lose the weight that he intended to.  He's playing well because he is talented, but he would be better 20 pounds lighter.
Do we really know (a) that he intended to lose any weight or (b) that he would play better 20 pounds lighter?

I believe the only real goal that was stated was to increase his endurance.   Weight loss is not necessarily the same thing.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He certainly did not lose the weight that he intended to.  He's playing well because he is talented, but he would be better 20 pounds lighter.
Do we really know (a) that he intended to lose any weight or (b) that he would play better 20 pounds lighter?

I believe the only real goal that was stated was to increase his endurance.   Weight loss is not necessarily the same thing.
We certainly know that Ainge and the team thought he was overweight before last season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
he's playing effectively for 30+ minutes a game. That's a remarkable transformation and he's not getting much credit for that.

you should add  on one end of the court.

I can't think of many PFs that would post respectable defensive numbers playing out of position beside Kelly Olynyk, especially if they're juggling a sizable offensive load as well. Sully is not a great defender by any means, and he may not even be a good one. I just think it's laughable that we're judging his defense based on what we've seen the last year and half when he's been playing out of position and next to other seemingly poor defenders. No reason to believe he can't at least hold his own against an individual assignment once we get a rim protector.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sullinger is our best player.

Not on defense.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415BOS.HTM     Sullinger is our best player.

Nope the chart has it as Young, which is absurd given the minutes he plays.  That ought to tell you all you need to know about the chart.

I saw the first 4 times and it doesn't change my mind about him.   

I just think it's laughable that we're judging his defense based on what we've seen the last year and half when he's been playing out of position and next to other seemingly poor defenders.

Laugh all you want, his individual D numbers are not good.  Stevens in yanking him more and more if you can't see that maybe get a bigger TV?

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I just think it's laughable that we're judging his defense based on what we've seen the last year and half when he's been playing out of position and next to other seemingly poor defenders.

Laugh all you want, his individual D numbers are not good.  Stevens in yanking him more and more if you can't see that maybe get a bigger TV?

And again, you ignore my explanation for such defensive stats. I never said his defense was good. I said there could be a reason for such defense that is hard to ignore.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
http://www.82games.com/1415/1415BOS5.HTM

I recognize that this is a small sample at this point in the season but I find it interesting that based on Position PER, our two strongest positions are SF and C while most of the "conventional wisdom" is that our strongest positions are PG and PF.

Sullinger has minutes at both PF and C and actually has much better PER numbers according to 82Games when he plays C. http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS12.HTM .

Go figure....   

(I recognize that PER is not an end all stat but it is reasonable to gage a trend or relative performance).

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't like PER b/c it is so skewed to offensive productivity, but many do... and for those that do, Sully is at #22 right now, ahead of Wall, Marc Gasol, Pau, Melo, Rose, Bosh, Zbo, Kobe, Howard (not exactly guys you'd expect to be high on PER, but all-stars nonetheless).

Second point, how do we know Sully isn't playing 36 mins due to conditioning/weight issues? Is there any data/information to suggest that? Seems to be no more credibility to that argument compared to the argument that we have a logjam at his position, and want to display players for trade purposes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:48:11 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He is our Swaggy Bear.... ;D

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://www.82games.com/1415/1415BOS5.HTM

I recognize that this is a small sample at this point in the season but I find it interesting that based on Position PER, our two strongest positions are SF and C while most of the "conventional wisdom" is that our strongest positions are PG and PF.

Those numbers may or may not be correct in spirit, but there's definitely something wrong with them. If you add the points by position by the Celts or their opponents you'll get about 175 ppg.