Author Topic: Sullinger playing like a borderline All-Star  (Read 24770 times)

Sullinger playing like a borderline All-Star
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I know it's only nine games in, but Sully is having a great season that seems to be flying under the radar. He's averaging around 15 points, nine rebounds and three assists.

Most importantly, he's scoring more efficiently than he has been last season, shooting .475 from the field vs. last season's mark of .427. This, along with his improved free throw shooting, has brought his true-shooting percentage up to .524 from .497 despite a horrific three-point FG%. I expect his three-point shooting to at least level out around where it was last season -- 27% -- which should make him an even more efficient scorer.

Most encouraging of all has been his continued development of the mid-range shot and his terrific assist numbers. Sully is shooting .500 from 16 feet to the three-point line, which is KG-esque efficiency to put that number in perspective. He's also posting a 15.8% AST%, which is typically an echelon that elite passing men such as DeMarcus Cousins and Marc Gasol find themselves in. Lastly, Sully is eating up the offensive glass, as he is sixth in the league in offensive rebounding percentage.

Any thoughts? Can Sully keep this up? Can he continue to improve?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Sullinger playing like a borderline All-Star
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yeah Sullinger could be a special player.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:15:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I assume it's flying under the radar because good players on bad teams aren't worth very much excitement.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Didn't stop Kevin Love and Anthony Davis (so far for him.)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I assume it's flying under the radar because good players on bad teams aren't worth very much excitement.
Pretty much this.

DMC was shrugged at around the league till this year when the Kings started winning some games. If they fall back to earth he'll be shrugged at again..

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Pretty much this.

DMC was shrugged at around the league till this year when the Kings started winning some games. If they fall back to earth he'll be shrugged at again..

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Pretty much this.

This is true, but I was referring more to the lack of excitement within our own Celtics fan community. James Young comes in and hits one three and suddenly he's the next Klay Thompson, yet Sully's posting 15/9/3 and can hardly get any love. I guess the more they play, the less we like them  ::)

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
3 assists and 1 turnover surprises me a little bit, though I doubt it lasts the year

He might be playing like a borderline All-Star if our team was number 1 in the East, but unfortunately we're a team with twice as many losses than wins.  That means his stats are significantly emptier than they look (which many people don't understand).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This is some adorably empty contrarianism on behalf of one of our players, which I understand, but I think I have to respond with some context:

-No one really cared about Kevin Love before his 30-30 game, which came in a year where he averaged 20 points and 15 boards. Those aren't 'borderline All Star' numbers, those are numbers that put him in the 'Elite NBA Player' discussion.

-Anthony Davis, in his sophomore year, averaged 20 and 10 while leading the league in blocks with nearly three a game. Right now, over the same period we're using to evaluate Sully, he's putting up 25 points, nearly 12 rebounds, and is leading the league in blocks (four per game) and steals (2.3).

There's no comparison.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No, he's not.

Sully is playing like a starting caliber big man but nowhere near All-Star level.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I think this comes down to counting stats. Sullinger has 30 minutes a night of effort in him (which is more than I'd have thought at this pace!). Love plays 37 minutes and Davis plays 36.

If Sullinger could do what he's doing now for 5-6 more minutes a night he'd be vintage Zach Randolph, with an 18/11/4 slash line and a great shot at the all-star game.

If he keeps doing what he's doing now for the same minutes, he'll definitely still be in the conversation. The East isn't packed with dominant bigs this year.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No, he's not.

Sully is playing like a starting caliber big man but nowhere near All-Star level.

Have to agree with this. Just at his position I put Gasol, Monroe, Milsap, and Love ahead of him off the top of my head. And that's without including the Lebron and Melo stretch four experiments.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The East isn't packed with dominant bigs this year.
It isn't?

Let's see, Vucevic, Gasol, Bosh, Love, Al Jefferson, and Tobias Harris are all putting together vastly superior seasons to Sullinger at this point. And then you have guys like Millsap, Hibbert, Horford, and even Gortat that are roughly comparable to Sullinger.

Not only is he not "borderline allstar" this year, I'd hazard a guess that at this point he has about zero chance of making it in.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
The East isn't packed with dominant bigs this year.
It isn't?

Let's see, Vucevic, Gasol, Bosh, Love, Al Jefferson, and Tobias Harris are all putting together vastly superior seasons to Sullinger at this point. And then you have guys like Millsap, Hibbert, Horford, and even Gortat that are roughly comparable to Sullinger.

Not only is he not "borderline allstar" this year, I'd hazard a guess that at this point he has about zero chance of making it in.
well, if you continue to use reality as the basis for your posts, there will be no room for you here at cb.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

This is some adorably empty contrarianism on behalf of one of our players, which I understand, but I think I have to respond with some context:

-No one really cared about Kevin Love before his 30-30 game, which came in a year where he averaged 20 points and 15 boards. Those aren't 'borderline All Star' numbers, those are numbers that put him in the 'Elite NBA Player' discussion.

-Anthony Davis, in his sophomore year, averaged 20 and 10 while leading the league in blocks with nearly three a game. Right now, over the same period we're using to evaluate Sully, he's putting up 25 points, nearly 12 rebounds, and is leading the league in blocks (four per game) and steals (2.3).

There's no comparison.

I understand, but I'm just saying that there are players like Love and Davis that get a lot praise despite playing on bad teams most due to the fact that their talent sticks out.