Author Topic: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype  (Read 45612 times)

Re: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2014, 01:05:08 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Giannis is a better prospect now, but that doesn't mean KO wasn't the right pick at the time. Who could've guessed Giannis would've grown like that? The Bucks just lucked out with him.

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2014, 01:05:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
That was probably GA's worst game of his career to date, tonight.  1-13 with 4 fouls?  Ouch.

But he'll take little heat for it because his teammates were good enough to win in spite of his poor game.

Mike

Hey, I'm just trying to be fair.  If we're going to keep bringing up KO's bad games, then we should also mention GA's.

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:13 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
That was probably GA's worst game of his career to date, tonight.  1-13 with 4 fouls?  Ouch.

But he'll take little heat for it because his teammates were good enough to win in spite of his poor game.

Mike

Hey, I'm just trying to be fair.  If we're going to keep bringing up KO's bad games, then we should also mention GA's.

CB is known for underrating their own players. Nothing new here.

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Mike

CB is known for underrating their own players. Nothing new here.

I know.  I'm probably one of the worst when it comes to that lol.

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2014, 08:36:57 AM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Giannis is a better prospect now, but that doesn't mean KO wasn't the right pick at the time. Who could've guessed Giannis would've grown like that? The Bucks just lucked out with him.

No one would have to guess. It was extremely easy to see the talent and prospect in Giannis and Ainge already had done that. There was no excuse. When he declared for the draft I knew I would take him at #1 if I had the top pick. I talked about it in chats/forums at draft night and I was devastated that we missed on him (didn't want to spoil things before the draft - I was sure we were going to get him).

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

No one would have to guess. It was extremely easy to see the talent and prospect in Giannis and Ainge already had done that. There was no excuse. When he declared for the draft I knew I would take him at #1 if I had the top pick. I talked about it in chats/forums at draft night and I was devastated that we missed on him (didn't want to spoil things before the draft - I was sure we were going to get him).

It's extremely easy to see the talent and prospect in plenty of high draft picks that never pan out.

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2014, 09:26:14 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^exactly. GA was about as far from a sure thing as you can be while still being a viable NBA prospect. The sky's the limit, sure, but his floor is what, a poor man's Luc Mbuh A Moute (that is to say, sans the excellent wing defense)?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
^exactly. GA was about as far from a sure thing as you can be while still being a viable NBA prospect. The sky's the limit, sure, but his floor is what, a poor man's Luc Mbuh A Moute (that is to say, sans the excellent wing defense)?

Totally agree.. IMO KO was the safest pick.. Its not everyday the Celticss franchise get a top 6 pick. With our current rebuilding situation and tryin to retain Rondo AT THE SAME TIME trying to bring in another star to speed up the rebuild, KO seemed like a great choice.

GA will probably have "potential" for next 5 years. I really don't see what everybody elses does when it comes to choosing him over KO

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Greek Freak !!!!!!!!

31 minutes, 1-13 fg's, 2 pts, 4 fouls, 3 turnovers. Vs. the Pistons. Yikes !

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

Totally agree.. IMO KO was the safest pick.. Its not everyday the Celticss franchise get a top 6 pick. With our current rebuilding situation and tryin to retain Rondo AT THE SAME TIME trying to bring in another star to speed up the rebuild, KO seemed like a great choice.

GA will probably have "potential" for next 5 years. I really don't see what everybody elses does when it comes to choosing him over KO

It's not everyday you get a 7 footer as fluid as Olynyk.  His size & unique skill set are few and far between in this league.  Tough not to draft that talent.  You just don't find these types growing on trees.

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

It's not everyday you get a 7 footer as fluid as Olynyk.  His size & unique skill set are few and far between in this league.  Tough not to draft that talent.  You just don't find these types growing on trees.

you really don't! and if he ends up no better than a long hair Spencer Hawes... there is nothing wrong with that either.

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

you really don't! and if he ends up no better than a long hair Spencer Hawes... there is nothing wrong with that either.

Hawes, Ryan Anderson....big guys who do what Olynyk does are getting paid in this league.  And there's a darn good reason for it.  Kelly might have the most unique skill set out of all of them.  Got to keep the development going.

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

nobody i see here is offering "excuses" for ainge's choice of olly. what i see are reasonable points as to why olly was a credible choice. as has been brought up repeatedly, on draft night ainge probably saw olly as having a higher floor but lower ceiling than antetokounmpo. antetokounmpo obviously was higher ceiling, but also higher risk.

i dont blame singe for going "safe" AND good with his choice. it is possible for people to make difference choices and not have one of them be wrong. happens all the time.

as for being "devastated" by this choice, perhaps it is time for you to step away from the keyboard, take a walk around the block, breath deeply, find some flowers, and keep it all in perspective.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2014, 05:16:40 AM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
nobody i see here is offering "excuses" for ainge's choice of olly. what i see are reasonable points as to why olly was a credible choice. as has been brought up repeatedly, on draft night ainge probably saw olly as having a higher floor but lower ceiling than antetokounmpo. antetokounmpo obviously was higher ceiling, but also higher risk.

i dont blame singe for going "safe" AND good with his choice. it is possible for people to make difference choices and not have one of them be wrong. happens all the time.

as for being "devastated" by this choice, perhaps it is time for you to step away from the keyboard, take a walk around the block, breath deeply, find some flowers, and keep it all in perspective.

Don't worry hwangjini_1, I live a full life and I don't need you to advise me. Keep that for yourself, 4177 posts are way too many. Nevertheless, if one hasn't done his/her homework (s)he would consider Nickoloz Tskitishvili, Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic, etc "safe" picks too. KO is not a bad player in any regard. We could/should have done better.

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2014, 03:31:46 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Sure would be nice to have Giannis as a building block on this team. Oh well , we got the next Dirk so we are all good .....