Author Topic: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype  (Read 45721 times)

Re: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Telfair's not a great example to use for this discussion, although if you wanted to use him  you'd have to say Telfair would be the GA portion of the example and Kelly would be... E'Twaun Moore?

I've had the four years vs one year argument enough times on here to have zero interest in going over it again, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Second, yes this would be an issue of potential vs. real value if Olynyk was putting up vastly greater numbers than Antetokounmpo, except GA is putting up similar numbers already and has loads of basketball growth left in him.

So does KO.....
No, he doesn't. He's 23 1/2 already, practically retirement age for NBA players, you know...

KO is not even in his prime yet, he got 1-2 years to get there. He still got room to grow.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
And because we like to compare, here's Olynyk's numbers:

12.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 1.6 APG, 59 FG%, 75% FT, 48% 3PT%, 0.6 STLS, 1.0 BLKS

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust
Antetokounmpo = rising superstar

Sounds about right for Celticsblog. [Not responding to rondohondo, just the general tenor on the boards these days.]

Same thing: people want John Henson, but he's not better than Zeller. The grass is always greener on the other side...
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Telfair's not a great example to use for this discussion, although if you wanted to use him  you'd have to say Telfair would be the GA portion of the example and Kelly would be... E'Twaun Moore?

I've had the four years vs one year argument enough times on here to have zero interest in going over it again, though.

No, the comparison for KO would be Markieff Morris, drafted 13th in 2011 at 22 years old.

Who would you rather have today, Telfair or Morris?

Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

No, the comparison for KO would be Markieff Morris, drafted 13th in 2011 at 22 years old.

Mike

My point was that, in addition to cherry picking Bassy out of thin air because he was drafted young, the comparison was between a guard who was a widely hyped prospect turned bust to GA, who is A) not a guard, and B) a pleasant surprise, not a widely hyped bust. Good try, though.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

My point was that, in addition to cherry picking Bassy out of thin air because he was drafted young, the comparison was between a guard who was a widely hyped prospect turned bust to GA, who is A) not a guard, and B) a pleasant surprise, not a widely hyped bust. Good try, though.  ;)

But the POINT is potential, youth and projected development. 

The reality is that Giannis might not develop any more from this point than KO will, which would leave KO still the better player.  Telfair's been the league for 10 years now, so the talent people saw when he was a kid wasn't a mirage.  They just projected he would get so much better.  And when Telfair was 22, he averaged just over 9 points on 40% from the field with a turnover-to-assist-ratio of about 3 to 1, so he did improve from his disappointing rookie year.

If Giannis becomes a better player than KO, I won't complain about anybody posting however many threads they want about how Ainge was an idiot for passing on him.

Can we at least wait until that actually happens, though?

Mike

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Mike

But the POINT is potential, youth and projected development. 

The reality is that Giannis might not develop any more from this point than KO will, which would leave KO still the better player.  Telfair's been the league for 10 years now, so the talent people saw when he was a kid wasn't a mirage.  They just projected he would get so much better.  And when Telfair was 22, he averaged just over 9 points on 40% from the field with a turnover-to-assist-ratio of about 3 to 1, so he did improve from his disappointing rookie year.

If Giannis becomes a better player than KO, I won't complain about anybody posting however many threads they want about how Ainge was an idiot for passing on him.

Can we at least wait until that actually happens, though?

Mike

C'mon man....

Telfair is a 6'2 PG with average athleticism and skill

Giannis is a 7 foot , physical freak, with a good handle, court vision and finishing ability .  He also projects to be a very good defender with his athleticism, long arms, huge hands .

Not even worth comparing the two .

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Giannis is a 7 foot , physical freak, with a good handle, court vision and finishing ability .  He also projects to be a very good defender with his athleticism, long arms, huge hands .
The myth of GA lives on. The reality is that he was never officially measured, and came in the draft listed as 6'9- 6'10. He is now rumored to have grown an inch or so. And all of a sudden, he's a "7 foot athletic freak". Exaggerate much?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 06:13:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The myth of GA lives on. The reality is that he was never officially measured, and came in the draft listed as 6'9- 6'10. He is now rumored to have grown an inch or so. And all of a sudden, he's a "7 foot athletic freak". Exaggerate much?

I said physical freak, and yea 1 inch is a great exaggeration , you're right. ::)

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Focus on the "never been officially measured" part.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

He's a 6'11" SHOOTING GUARD which is the definition of a "physical freak". 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Wait Ryan Anderson is a physical freak?

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He's not a shooting guard.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Wait Ryan Anderson is a physical freak?
You're thinking of Steve Novak. Ryan Anderson is a better player than he's getting credit for around here.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Second, yes this would be an issue of potential vs. real value if Olynyk was putting up vastly greater numbers than Antetokounmpo, except GA is putting up similar numbers already and has loads of basketball growth left in him.

So does KO.....
No, he doesn't. He's 23 1/2 already, practically retirement age for NBA players, you know...

KO is not even in his prime yet, he got 1-2 years to get there. He still got room to grow.

KO has potential, but it's pretty hard to make up for the age differential advantage that GA has on him.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/