Author Topic: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype  (Read 45686 times)

Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
So far this year...

11.7 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.5 APG, 55% FG , 68% FT, 25% 3PT %, 0.5 STLS, 0.5 BLKS

Playing only 25 MPG

Looks like he is starting to live up to the hype. I like KO a lot, but this kid could be special by next season and is like 4 years younger than KO. Oh well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atx4voQ-oyU

Re: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Meanwhile, KO is actually as good or better than Giannis in every respect and people can't stop complaining about him.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Meanwhile, KO is actually as good or better than Giannis in every respect and people can't stop complaining about him.

Mike

It's all about potential vs. ability. There's a good chance that GA will be better than Olynyk by the time he's the age that Kelly is now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:07:14 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Mike

Yeah, people keep praising Giannis as this next big superstar while people continue to critcize Olynyk. So far KO is out performing Giannis, and there's a good chance that Giannis may not live up to his potential.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
And because we like to compare, here's Olynyk's numbers:

12.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 1.6 APG, 59 FG%, 75% FT, 48% 3PT%, 0.6 STLS, 1.0 BLKS

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust
Antetokounmpo = rising superstar

Sounds about right for Celticsblog. [Not responding to rondohondo, just the general tenor on the boards these days.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Mike

Yeah, people keep praising Giannis as this next big superstar while people continue to critcize Olynyk. So far KO is out performing Giannis, and there's a good chance that Giannis may not live up to his potential.

I don't know why people are posting like I hate KO , I said I like him a lot . Giannis is 4 years younger and is freakishly long . On those highlights Giannias is just blowing by former DPOY Marc Gasol . The only thing KO does better is shoot the ball . Giannis will be a much better defender , just as good, if not better off the dribble , and better finisher .

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust

Sounds about right for Celticsblog. [Not responding to rondohondo, just the general tenor on the boards these days.]

I don't know why people can't understand that Giannis is 4 yrs younger , thus has more potential. Besides the shooting 3's, Giannis is already putting up similar numbers......

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't particularly care about GA, but I am enjoying the "CelticsBlog" strawman that's beginning to develop in this thread, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I don't particularly care about GA, but I am enjoying the "CelticsBlog" strawman that's beginning to develop in this thread, though.

I just don't think Giannis is the superstar that people on celticsblog keep coming saying.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust

I don't know why people can't understand that Giannis is 4 yrs younger , thus has more potential. Besides the shooting 3's, Giannis is already putting up similar numbers......

That's fine. Potential and two dollars gets you a cup of coffee right now.

For all we know, Giannis has the potential to suffer a serious knee injury later this year. Or to never develop an outside shot. Or to be stuck in a perpetually rebuilding franchise. Or to be hit by a truck tomorrow.

All I know is that ten games into this current season, Olynyk is producing at a similar level.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust

For all we know, Giannis has the potential to suffer a serious knee injury later this year. Or to never develop an outside shot. Or to be stuck in a perpetually rebuilding franchise. Or to be hit by a truck tomorrow.

All I know is that ten games into this current season, Olynyk is producing at a similar level.

First, I've never heard anyone say Kelly O is a "bust."

Second, yes this would be an issue of potential vs. real value if Olynyk was putting up vastly greater numbers than Antetokounmpo, except GA is putting up similar numbers already and has loads of basketball growth left in him.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust

Second, yes this would be an issue of potential vs. real value if Olynyk was putting up vastly greater numbers than Antetokounmpo, except GA is putting up similar numbers already and has loads of basketball growth left in him.

So does KO.....

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

So does KO.....
No, he doesn't. He's 23 1/2 already, practically retirement age for NBA players, you know...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
one factor in ainge's pick may have been to play it safe. antetokounmpo has physical talent, but the potential for not panning out may have been high in the mind of danny singe. yes, he is 4 years younger than olly, and therefore the potential for not achieving his potential is much higher. picking a "bust" would have hurt the team.

olly, on the other hand, was more mature and skilled, therefore appeared to be the safer choice. ainge seemed to have picked the higher floor versus the higher ceiling. that is a defensible choice.

regardless of antetokounmpo's eventual ceiling, ainge made a good choice in olly since olly is proving himself to be a good player.

what puzzles me is how many on this board are so interested in saying ainge missed. he made a good choice based upon the information and scouting available. he chose to play it safe and so far i have no complaints.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Playing only 26 MPG.

Olynyk = bust

So does KO.....

Yeah I'm not really understanding. So GA is younger. Sebastian Telfair was once four years younger than a lot of guys he was drafted with.... I don't think that needs further examining.