Author Topic: Rick Ross - Hood Billionaire, first listen  (Read 8510 times)

Rick Ross - Hood Billionaire, first listen
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Rick Ross released Hood Billionaire tonight on iTunes (stream-only)!! Any music fans in the building, rap in particular?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Rick Ross - Hood Billionaire, first listen
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:25:22 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rick Ross is meh. Rozay makes up for weak flow and same mainstream lyrics with fresh beats. Too bad, hes everything that true hip hop shouldn't be.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Rick Ross is meh. Rozay makes up for weak flow and same mainstream lyrics with fresh beats. Too bad, hes everything that true hip hop shouldn't be.

Disagree. Ross has one of my favorite flows ever along with Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas, Kanye, DMX, Scarface and Andre 3000 edit: and Game. His lyrics are tight (Valley of Death, All the Money in the World, Ten Jesus Pieces, Paradise Lost, Family Ties have some of my favorite Ross verses). And he has a great ear for beats.

You may or may not legitimately dislike Rick Ross (meaning you've actually given all of his music a chance), but the reality I see is that the majority of his detractors don't like him because they either a) think he's supposed to be bad and never listen to his music or b) think he's supposed to be bad and listen to his music as if they should be afraid to admit they may like him. There's a lot to do about the whole "fake, correctional officer" but I've also noticed that most of that is repeated by middle class white kids who want to seem harder than they really are.

I think this imposition being made by the rap/music community that there's a right way to listen to or like music greatly impacts how we hear certain artists. Rick Ross is a great example of that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:46:38 AM by TheFlex »

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:30:02 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Disagree. Ross has one of my favorite flows ever along with Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas, Kanye, DMX, Scarface and Andre 3000 edit: and Game. His lyrics are tight (Valley of Death, All the Money in the World, Ten Jesus Pieces, Paradise Lost, Family Ties have some of my favorite Ross verses). And he has a great ear for beats.

You may or may not legitimately dislike Rick Ross (meaning you've actually given all of his music a chance), but the reality I see is that the majority of his detractors don't like him because they either a) think he's supposed to be bad and never listen to his music or b) think he's supposed to be bad and listen to his music as if they should be afraid to admit they may like him. There's a lot to do about the whole "fake, correctional officer" but I've also noticed that most of that is repeated by middle class white kids who want to seem harder than they really are.

I think this imposition being made by the rap/music community that there's a right way to listen to or like music greatly impacts how we hear certain artists. Rick Ross is a great example of that.

+1

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I apologize, I didn't want to come off as a hater. Right now I'm posting from a library, and its tough for me to type or voice out my entire opinions when the T/Y/S button doesn't work on my laptop.  >:(

I'm a huge fan of old school hip hop. DMX, Souls of Mischief, Nas, AZ, Big Pun, Tha Alkaholiks, 2Pac, Slum Village, etc.

I've gone to see a lot of Wu-Tang concerts, and just went to see Cunninglynguists a few days ago in my area of NOVA/MD/DC. ToneDeff is a monster live by the way.

I personally went to see Rozay live a few weeks ago, and I wasn't a huge fan of him at all. His stage presence is hype, but he seems winded, and just doesn't seem like a rapper that knows how to really spit on the stage. I've performed before and know how tolling it is on the body/throat when you're constantly trying to breathe, but Ross just seems like the type of rapper that is comfortable spitting in the studio and doing re-takes, than actually performing live, where I believe that defines you as a MC, than a rapper.

Maybe it was just him at the time, but I base a lot of my personal opinions on how they do live, because as someone who recorded music in the studio, its so easy to touch up and make your voice sound twice as better in the studio, especially with the technology that we have nowadays.

I snuck into a New York club when I was 12, after knowing the bouncer, and KRS-One was performing live. Holy cow. I'm not a huge fan of his lyricism, and his flow, but he really did know how to control the crowd, and the club was so loud, I couldn't hear as well for 5 days.

That being said, I do like Rick Ross. I don't think I will ever see him live again, but Valley of Death, and Paradise Lost were my personal favorites. I will give Rick Ross the time of day, because I think he's personally enjoyable. He's just not someone I personally have a high opinion of.

Anyways, do you have any favorites on Hood Billionaire?

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

I apologize, I didn't want to come off as a hater. Right now I'm posting from a library, and its tough for me to type or voice out my entire opinions when the T/Y/S button doesn't work on my laptop.  >:(

I'm a huge fan of old school hip hop. DMX, Souls of Mischief, Nas, AZ, Big Pun, Tha Alkaholiks, 2Pac, Slum Village, etc.

I've gone to see a lot of Wu-Tang concerts, and just went to see Cunninglynguists a few days ago in my area of NOVA/MD/DC. ToneDeff is a monster live by the way.

I personally went to see Rozay live a few weeks ago, and I wasn't a huge fan of him at all. His stage presence is hype, but he seems winded, and just doesn't seem like a rapper that knows how to really spit on the stage. I've performed before and know how tolling it is on the body/throat when you're constantly trying to breathe, but Ross just seems like the type of rapper that is comfortable spitting in the studio and doing re-takes, than actually performing live, where I believe that defines you as a MC, than a rapper.

Maybe it was just him at the time, but I base a lot of my personal opinions on how they do live, because as someone who recorded music in the studio, its so easy to touch up and make your voice sound twice as better in the studio, especially with the technology that we have nowadays.

I snuck into a New York club when I was 12, after knowing the bouncer, and KRS-One was performing live. Holy cow. I'm not a huge fan of his lyricism, and his flow, but he really did know how to control the crowd, and the club was so loud, I couldn't hear as well for 5 days.

That being said, I do like Rick Ross. I don't think I will ever see him live again, but Valley of Death, and Paradise Lost were my personal favorites. I will give Rick Ross the time of day, because I think he's personally enjoyable. He's just not someone I personally have a high opinion of.

Nice! I like all the guys you mentioned (although I think Tupac is overrated... which is something you want to say if you're interested in starting a war, lol). DMX, Nas and Big Pun are my favorites out of those you highlighted.

I can definitely see how a poor live performance would affect your perception of Rozay, especially as an old school hip hop fan (for obvious reasons). I'm not a huge concert guy because I think the pressure to "wow" a crowd can compromise musical integrity and/or take away from the music in general, so I'm sure you can see how we'd differ there. Sometimes "wow-ing" the crowd is similar to "wow-ing" consumers of your album on iTunes or in the stores, but sometimes it's about doing crazy things on stage. The latter is particularly true for new-school, modern rappers such as Ross and thus I don't put much stock in how entertaining they are live. My favorite rapper, Eminem, was once called a "notorious non-tourer" by Jay-Z.

Your KRS-One example (who I also think is overrated; Kool G is much better) is another reason I tend to separate one's stage presence with their musical ability. Sometimes performing talent can override musical talent and all I really care about is the quality of the music.

I like all the songs on Hood Billionaire, as I do with his last five albums (starting with Deeper Than Rap). To me, every song has at least good wordplay, good flow and a good beat; every now and then the content is lacking, but to me that's the case with pretty much every artist who releases as much product as rappers do (specifically Ross; Hood Billionaire is his second 15+ song album in just nine months).

My favorite songs on Hood Billionaire are Phone Tap, Trap Luv, and Family Ties. As I said though, I like every song. Movin' Bass, Nickel Rock and Brimstone are up there as well. The two bonus songs haven't been released yet, so I'm excited to hear those as well.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
wow, i feel old hearing about who is considered old school hip hop these days.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Nice! I like all the guys you mentioned (although I think Tupac is overrated... which is something you want to say if you're interested in starting a war, lol). DMX, Nas and Big Pun are my favorites out of those you highlighted.

I can definitely see how a poor live performance would affect your perception of Rozay, especially as an old school hip hop fan (for obvious reasons). I'm not a huge concert guy because I think the pressure to "wow" a crowd can compromise musical integrity and/or take away from the music in general, so I'm sure you can see how we'd differ there. Sometimes "wow-ing" the crowd is similar to "wow-ing" consumers of your album on iTunes or in the stores, but sometimes it's about doing crazy things on stage. The latter is particularly true for new-school, modern rappers such as Ross and thus I don't put much stock in how entertaining they are live. My favorite rapper, Eminem, was once called a "notorious non-tourer" by Jay-Z.

Your KRS-One example (who I also think is overrated; Kool G is much better) is another reason I tend to separate one's stage presence with their musical ability. Sometimes performing talent can override musical talent and all I really care about is the quality of the music.

I like all the songs on Hood Billionaire, as I do with his last five albums (starting with Deeper Than Rap). To me, every song has at least good wordplay, good flow and a good beat; every now and then the content is lacking, but to me that's the case with pretty much every artist who releases as much product as rappers do (specifically Ross; Hood Billionaire is his second 15+ song album in just nine months).

My favorite songs on Hood Billionaire are Phone Tap, Trap Luv, and Family Ties. As I said though, I like every song. Movin' Bass, Nickel Rock and Brimstone are up there as well. The two bonus songs haven't been released yet, so I'm excited to hear those as well.

Nice, I will certainly give a try to his album. I'm not hating on Maybach, I usually just have different interests, but I'm very open. I give 2 Chainz a listen occasionally when I'm drinking with my friends, (-_-.)

I have listened to Phone Tap at a local club, and I liked it. I'll certainly check it out, you like anyone else in MMG?

Kool G Rap is very dope, one of my most favorite MC's to do it.

I usually do feel like live shows can really bring out the artist in an artist. I'm a fan of TDE, J. Cole, and a few artists that came out, but I'm very selective. I also like Wale a lot since hes MD/NOVA/DC. Schoolboy Q disappointed me live though.

Haha, how old are you?

Do you know anyone else that I can check out far before the Golden Age of 1990's then? Any recommendations? I'm certainly down to listen to anyone.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:49:01 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Nice, I will certainly give a try to his album. I'm not hating on Maybach, I usually just have different interests, but I'm very open. I give 2 Chainz a listen occasionally when I'm drinking with my friends, (-_-.)

I have listened to Phone Tap at a local club, and I liked it. I'll certainly check it out, you like anyone else in MMG?

I usually do feel like live shows can really bring out the artist in an artist. I'm a fan of TDE, J. Cole, and a few artists that came out, but I'm very selective. I also like Wale a lot since hes MD/NOVA/DC. Schoolboy Q disappointed me live though.

Lol, 2 Chainz isn't a favorite of mine by any means but in a party setting he's acceptable.

Within MMG I really like Ross, Wale and Stalley. Stalley's debut album Ohio recently dropped and I thought it was really good. On the flip side, I think Meek Mill is one of the most overrated rappers of all time, so there's that.

Right now my three favorite young guys are Kendrick, Logic and Big K.R.I.T. I like Cole a lot as well, though I don't think he's tapped into his full potential. I actually like his mixtape catalog better than his album catalog. I'm anxiously awaiting his next album (Dec. 9th).

I love Wale. I thought The Gifted was criminally underrated and I think The Album About Nothing (hopefully dropping in early 2015) has game-changing potential (similar to recent game-changers The College Dropout, Man on the Moon and Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City).

It's funny you say that about Schoolboy Q because I think he's relatively average myself. I like Ab-Soul from time to time but he's way too inconsistent. So basically of the individual members of TDE, I like half of them. Love Kendrick, like Jay Rock (who is also dropping an album soon).

Kool G for life. Check out Ross' song "Knife Fight" featuring Kool G. It's dope.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Lol, 2 Chainz isn't a favorite of mine by any means but in a party setting he's acceptable.

Within MMG I really like Ross, Wale and Stalley. Stalley's debut album Ohio recently dropped and I thought it was really good. On the flip side, I think Meek Mill is one of the most overrated rappers of all time, so there's that.

Right now my three favorite young guys are Kendrick, Logic and Big K.R.I.T. I like Cole a lot as well, though I don't think he's tapped into his full potential. I actually like his mixtape catalog better than his album catalog. I'm anxiously awaiting his next album (Dec. 9th).

I love Wale. I thought The Gifted was criminally underrated and I think The Album About Nothing (hopefully dropping in early 2015) has game-changing potential (similar to recent game-changers The College Dropout, Man on the Moon and Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City).

It's funny you say that about Schoolboy Q because I think he's relatively average myself. I like Ab-Soul from time to time but he's way too inconsistent. So basically of the individual members of TDE, I like half of them. Love Kendrick, like Jay Rock (who is also dropping an album soon).

Kool G for life. Check out Ross' song "Knife Fight" featuring Kool G. It's dope.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Wale, I felt he was heavily underrated. I liked Gifted, because it was a little more experimental, plus Sunshine/Love or Hate, and some of his songs were a little more catchy, but more clever in his rhyme scenes/metaphors.

I really hate Meek Mill. I like a few songs, but its like he screams in every songs.

I love Big K.R.I.T, Logic, Lamar, Ab-Soul, and J. Cole are undoubtedly the future of hip hop that has or have the potential to blow up on the scene.

I like Cole, but unfortunately, this guy CANNOT make a song to save his life. Yes, he has a few hits, but all of them get really boring quickly. I found his album was nice, but I only had 2-3 songs that I could play more than once.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Haha, how old are you?

Do you know anyone else that I can check out far before the Golden Age of 1990's then? Any recommendations? I'm certainly down to listen to anyone.

no one that you aren't already aware of. it's just funny to hear dmx and tupac get thrown in as old school. i remember people talking about old school before they came out. i guess for me, i tend to think of anything 80's as the "old school", coming right before and mixing a little with the "golden age". but if that's not old school anymore, i guess it should be called something else. classic hip hop? is that what it is now? like i said, i just feel old.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Just downloaded it i will post my review...after i Listen  ;D ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Wale, I felt he was heavily underrated. I liked Gifted, because it was a little more experimental, plus Sunshine/Love or Hate, and some of his songs were a little more catchy, but more clever in his rhyme scenes/metaphors.

I really hate Meek Mill. I like a few songs, but its like he screams in every songs.

I love Big K.R.I.T, Logic, Lamar, Ab-Soul, and J. Cole are undoubtedly the future of hip hop that has or have the potential to blow up on the scene.

I like Cole, but unfortunately, this guy CANNOT make a song to save his life. Yes, he has a few hits, but all of them get really boring quickly. I found his album was nice, but I only had 2-3 songs that I could play more than once.

I loved "Black Heroes." Genius song.

Yeah, Meek is trash lol.

Agreed on your rising stars (except Ab-Soul; his music just doesn't have staying power for me).

Agreed again on Cole. Born Sinner was a great album after my first listen but it too did not have staying power for me. I'm hopeful this next album will be his breakout album. I honestly liked Truly Yours I, II, and III better than Born Sinner.

Just downloaded it i will post my review...after i Listen  ;D ;D

Sweet!

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wale peaked on 'Mixtape About Nothing.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Wale peaked on 'Mixtape About Nothing.'

Disagree, I enjoyed More About Nothing more so than Mixtape About Nothing. Gifted was better than Mixtape About Nothing for me.