Author Topic: Rondo has been looking bad in crunch time  (Read 48670 times)

Re: Rondo has been looking bad in crunch time
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2014, 12:44:29 AM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Must make foul shots if he is the man to close the game. Or it will become hack-a-rondo.

« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
You can't win with a point guard who can't shoot, especially can't shoot free throws.  That's indisputable.  Right now he's 9 for 26 for the year.  He can't be left on the floor at the end of games--the C's will need Banks or Pressey at PG, so how valuable can Rondo be? 

He's also a ball pounder at crunch time.

The C's should trade him for whatever they can get and also rid themselves of a clubhouse problem.
Actually we won our one and only championship in the last 25 years with this very PG.

People seem to have forgotten that as we got deeper into that championship run, Rondo was not playing in the 4th quarters. The lineups were typically house, ray, pp, posey, and kg to bring us home. 

« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2014, 01:40:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We could of had this guy if rumors were true

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kneyUVR3tbE

Oh yes triboy, a guy currently with a 9.6 PER and averaging a whopping 10.5 points per game in almost 32 MPG and averaging 1.4 turnovers and ONLY .9 assist per game.  You are amazing triboy.
Ben stinks as he always has!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77
Heh. Pretty sure we never actually had a chance to trade rondo for mclemore.   Mclemore is an elite propect who looks like he's going to develop into an amazing scorer/shooter.  You don't give up that type of talent for a 1 year vet rental.   It sounds like Boston discussed trading the 6th pick for mclemore though.

« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2014, 01:47:46 AM »

Offline 255 Rings

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Looking around the league I have so much envy of the other PGs that have proved to be much better than Rondo, and by a mile. Curry, Lillard, Rose, Westbrook, CP3, Parker, Wall, even Irving! All these PGs can come up huge in crunch time and have had more success leading than overrated Rondo. I'm glad he's being exposed the way he is as a mediocre player that hasn't gotten much better since his first big paycheck back in 2009. Bonehead Danny Ainge almost traded our #6 pick for Ben Mclemore, and even worse PG than Rondo, so there goes the hope that he's actually an elite GM. Rondo hasn't improved any facet of his game to earn a max contract, and little improvements like perimeter shooting and higher assists shouldn't be the reasons for max money. I hope Marcus Smart pans out better than this "elite" PG because I've never been so disappointed in a "star" player as much as this guy (mayyybeeee Antoine Walker but at least he had some clutch in him). I hope he understands he's not a top 10 guard and takes a pycut (15 million is fine for his highly limited movesets like lack of J, lack of FTs, lack of PPGs, lack of clutch gene). If not, bye bye Rajon.

« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2014, 02:13:26 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The entire TEAM has looked bad in crunch time...not just one player.

« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2014, 02:28:31 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
You can't win with a point guard who can't shoot, especially can't shoot free throws.  That's indisputable.  Right now he's 9 for 26 for the year.  He can't be left on the floor at the end of games--the C's will need Banks or Pressey at PG, so how valuable can Rondo be? 

The C's should trade him for whatever they can get and also rid themselves of a clubhouse problem.
Actually we won our one and only championship in the last 25 years with this very PG.

I bet you money Rondo was not in the game the last 5 minutes of many of those games.

In fact they probably put in Eddie House to finish games.

« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I bet you money Rondo was not in the game the last 5 minutes of many of those games.

In fact they probably put in Eddie House to finish games.

They did put House in many of those games. They also used Cassell a lot too. We would usually go with KG, Pierce, Allen, Posey, and Cassell/House. This would give us incredible spacing and make it almost impossible to double team us.

« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2014, 07:32:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
4Q Rondo

7:43 Rondo enters the game
6:54 Rajon Rondo bad pass (Nikola Mirotic steals)
6:18 Rajon Rondo makes 8-foot two point shot
5:31 Rajon Rondo misses 8-foot Running Jumper
5:05 Kirk Hinrich blocks Rajon Rondo's layup
4:22 Rajon Rondo misses 9-foot Running Jumper
4:09 Rajon Rondo defensive rebound
3:59 Rajon Rondo offensive rebound
3:20 Nikola Mirotic blocks Rajon Rondo's layup
3:06 Rajon Rondo misses 17-foot two point shot
1:05 Joakim Noah blocks Rajon Rondo 's 18-foot jumper
1:04 Rajon Rondo misses free throw 1 of 2
1:04 Rajon Rondo misses free throw 2 of 2
0:50 Rajon Rondo loose ball foul (Jimmy Butler draws the foul; makes both FT's)
0:00 Rajon Rondo misses 27-foot three point jumper

Final 4Q Numbers

FG's 1-8
FT's 0-2
Turnovers 1
Assists 0
Rebounds 2
Fouls 1

My error. I overlooked Hinrich's block at the 5:05 mark. Everything has now been corrected.

« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:07 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Rondo's last 7 4Q's, in approximately 50 minutes of playing time, he has accumulated the following numbers:

FG's 6-23
FT's 0-5
Reb 7
Ast 15
TO's 6
Stl 0

33.3% of those assists came against the lowly Sixers, in a game which we won.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:28:46 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Well that pretty much sums up my point that he is completely useless in the 4th quarter.

« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2014, 09:06:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He's been bad in the 4th and crunch time in previous years as well.

Here's a reminder that Rondo probably knows the ugliness of his anti-clutch stats as well as anyone:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/28/sports/basketball/eyes-on-stats-nba-players-hire-help-to-crunch-them.html

« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2014, 10:03:07 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Rondo's last 7 4Q's, in approximately 50 minutes of playing time, he has accumulated the following numbers:

FG's 6-23
FT's 0-5
Reb 7
Ast 15
TO's 6
Stl 0

And most of those turnovers turn into easy fast break baskets for the other team.

« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

FG's 6-23
FT's 0-5
Reb 7
Ast 15
TO's 6
Stl 0

50 minutes of playing time! My Goodness, that's a cumulative game's worth of data!

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

FG's 6-23
FT's 0-5
Reb 7
Ast 15
TO's 6
Stl 0

50 minutes of playing time! My Goodness, that's a cumulative game's worth of data!

Not sure I follow your sarcasm. The point of the thread is him playing abysmal in the 4Q. This is 7 games worth of data. For example, if a closer continually blows saves, say 7 in a 2 week span, are we dismissive because his total amount of innings amounts to 9 innings (an entire game's worth) pitched?

Rondo's 4Q issues aren't new, but they're further highlighted since he doesn't have the talent around him to mask them.

« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

FG's 6-23
FT's 0-5
Reb 7
Ast 15
TO's 6
Stl 0

Not sure I follow your sarcasm. The point of the thread is him playing abysmal in the 4Q. This is 7 games worth of data. For example, if a closer continually blows saves, say 7 in a 2 week span, are we dismissive because his total amount of innings amounts to 9 innings (an entire game's worth) pitched?

Rondo's 4Q issues aren't new, but they're further highlighted since he doesn't have the talent around him to mask them.

I think his sarcasm makes perfect sense.  There isn't a whole lot of minutes in your little investigation.

But what also doesn't make sense is you trying to compare Rondo to a closer?  Even Rondo's biggest fans don't say that he is a closer.  Everyone knows that we need an alpha dog scorer.  We all no Rondo isn't it.  Trying to lump that into your ever growing faults for RR doesn't make any sense.  Next we are going to hear from you that Rondo needs to go because he isn't a Rim protector.  smh.