Author Topic: Rondo has been looking bad in crunch time  (Read 48773 times)

Re: Rondo has been looking bad in crunch time
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
You can't win with a point guard who can't shoot, especially can't shoot free throws.  That's indisputable.  Right now he's 9 for 26 for the year.  He can't be left on the floor at the end of games--the C's will need Banks or Pressey at PG, so how valuable can Rondo be? 

He's also a ball pounder at crunch time.

The C's should trade him for whatever they can get and also rid themselves of a clubhouse problem.

So Rondo is a clubhouse problem now ? You guys are unbelievable  ::)

I can't comment on whether he is a club house cancer but he is a middle of the pack PG without three hall of famers. Should have moved on awhile ago and the fact that people give him a free ride on his shooting is unreal. He is a pathetic shooter...

« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
You can't win with a point guard who can't shoot, especially can't shoot free throws.  That's indisputable.  Right now he's 9 for 26 for the year.  He can't be left on the floor at the end of games--the C's will need Banks or Pressey at PG, so how valuable can Rondo be? 

The C's should trade him for whatever they can get and also rid themselves of a clubhouse problem.
Actually we won our one and only championship in the last 25 years with this very PG.

« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

Actually we won our one and only championship in the last 25 years with this very PG.

We win beacause of the Big 3.
Bring in 3 all stars, then Rondo's blemishes will be masked and you can win. Otherwise face the music as far as Rondo.

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Rondo is the best player in this team. By far.
Blaming him for the current mess is simply unfair.

The blame is with Ainge for not trading Rondo when he still had value.

« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
We could of had this guy if rumors were true

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kneyUVR3tbE

Oh yes triboy, a guy currently with a 9.6 PER and averaging a whopping 10.5 points per game in almost 32 MPG and averaging 1.4 turnovers and ONLY .9 assist per game.  You are amazing triboy.
Ben stinks as he always has!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Bring in 3 all stars, then Rondo's blemishes will be masked and you can win. Otherwise face the music as far as Rondo.

Having all-star in the team is overrated. Look at the Cavs right now. It's not a matter of star players although they can help. It's a matter of right puzzle piece. Right now we are missing two big pieces - a prolific scorer and a defensive anchor. No all-star will help us win a chip if they all just play offense or vice versa.

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

The thing I don't understand with Rondo detractors is , why is he held to this otherworldly standard ? I understand that he is a very bad FT shooter right now . He is a career 61% shooter, so history tells you he is going to get that average up . It's still below average FT shooting, and this will be the reason he will never become a go to guy  . The rest of his % are right where they have been his whole career.

That doesn't mean you trade him just for the hell of it .........

He is a great piece to have moving forward . He is a tremendous floor general and gets everyone involved offensively, but is not meant to be a go to guy . When the whole defense is packing in the paint , and the Celtics are 0-8 from three in the 4th quarter it's going to look ugly with Rondo trying to force stuff . 

You're right he does need another Ray Allen or PP next to him , but what good NBA team doesn't have great talent at multiple positions ?  When you have inconsistent, young team this is what you get .

We have seen Rondo be the MVP of multiple playoff series and is only 28. He will be an all-star caliber player for the next 5 years. Why wouldn't you want to add to that, instead of just shipping off for a mediocre return?

If Rondo is traded you are looking at a 3-5 year rebuild.  Going through the drafts, hoping to get a player of Rondo's caliber , but not guaranteed of anything.

If you keep him, fall into the top of the lottery(trade Bass, Green, Wallace with a pick), Clear the proper cap space, you will have enough to add Rondo and another Max( Gasol, Love, Hibbert) .  Take the top 10 pick and package it with smart or KO, and get a go to scorer when the time is right and you are a contender in the east .

You still have a ton of picks for the future, why do we need more mediocre young player/picks, for a all-star , big game , Multiple playoff series MVP?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:52:02 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White

Having all-star in the team is overrated. Look at the Cavs right now. It's not a matter of star players although they can help. It's a matter of right puzzle piece. Right now we are missing two big pieces - a prolific scorer and a defensive anchor. No all-star will help us win a chip if they all just play offense or vice versa.

I think defense is all about effort and determination. So I put it on the coaches to find a way to make it work. Doc was pretty good at preaching defense. Brad Stevens needs to put more emphasis on it too. BTW the cavs will be there at the end. ECF is all but guaranteed. But the Lakers two years ago would be a better example for what you said.

« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2014, 11:02:15 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White

The thing I don't understand with Rondo hater's is , why is he held to this otherworldly standard ? I understand that he is a very bad FT shooter right now . He is a career 61% shooter, so history tells you he is going to get that average up . It's still below average FT shooting, and this will be the reason he will never become a go to guy because of this . The rest of his % are right where they have been his whole career.

He is a great piece to have moving forward . He is a tremendous floor general and gets everyone involved offensively, but is not meant to be a go to guy . When the whole defense is packing in the paint , and the Celtics are 0-8 from three in the 4th quarter it's going to look ugly with Rondo trying to force stuff . 

You're right he does need another Ray Allen or PP next to him , but what good NBA team doesn't have great talent at multiple positions ?  When you have inconsistent, young team this is what you get .

We have seen Rondo be the MVP of multiple playoff series and is only 28. He will be an all-star caliber player for the next 5 years. Why wouldn't you want to add to that, instead of just shipping off for a mediocre return?

If Rondo is traded you are looking at a 3-5 year rebuild.  Going through the drafts, hoping to get a player of Rondo's caliber , but not guaranteed of anything.

If you keep him, fall into the top of the lottery(trade Bass, Green, Wallace with a pick), Clear the proper cap space, you will have enough to add Rondo and another Max( Gasol, Love, Hibbert) .  Take the top 10 pick and package it with smart or KO, and get a go to scorer when the time is right and you are a contender in the east .

You still have a ton of picks for the future, why do we need more mediocre young player/picks, for a all-star , big game , Playoff series MVP?

I don't hate Rondo. I hate the notion that he's a real go-to guy. The Big 3 made it happen not Rondo (2008). He was a great role player. The Big 3 got the attention of opposing defenses, so Rondo was able to capitalize on it, credit to him. Now there is no real big time threat on offense and it shows in crunch time. Rondo is not the guy who will win the game on the last shot, because he can't shoot. He's just not that guy. I don't like when people try to find excuses why he failed in the clutch. I'm curious what Danny Ainge thinks about Rondo's value. 12M/year is fair I think. Will Rondo want 20M/year? Who knows what will happen.

« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2014, 11:04:21 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Since PP and KG left Rondo did not show any kind of lidership...

« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

The thing I don't understand with Rondo hater's is , why is he held to this otherworldly standard ? I understand that he is a very bad FT shooter right now . He is a career 61% shooter, so history tells you he is going to get that average up . It's still below average FT shooting, and this will be the reason he will never become a go to guy because of this . The rest of his % are right where they have been his whole career.

You still have a ton of picks for the future, why do we need more mediocre young player/picks, for a all-star , big game , Playoff series MVP?

I don't hate Rondo. I hate the notion that he's a real go-to guy. The Big 3 made it happen not Rondo (2008). He was a great role player. The Big 3 got the attention of opposing defenses, so Rondo was able to capitalize on it, credit to him. Now there is no real big time threat on offense and it shows in crunch time. Rondo is not the guy who will win the game on the last shot, because he can't shoot. He's just not that guy. I don't like when people try to find excuses why he failed in the clutch. I'm curious what Danny Ainge thinks about Rondo's value. 12M/year is fair I think. Will Rondo want 20M/year? Who knows what will happen.

I'd say 15 mil a year is fair value for both sides . Chandler Parsons just got that much . Monta Ellis type contract . You're right no one knows what will happen , but I think shipping him away for anything less that a very good young player or a very high pick would be a mistake .

« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo is overrated

« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Rondo is overrated

and triboy is a troll

« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo is overrated

and triboy is a troll

Whatever, you crazed fan of an overrated player

« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The thing I don't understand with Rondo detractors is , why is he held to this otherworldly standard ?
I think this is the important point with Rondo discussions.  He is held to a high standard.  Rondo advocates talk about him as the best player on championship teams.  As a top 3 point guard.  There was one year where he was discussed as a MVP candidate.  Then even reasonable trades get shot down with claims that Rondo is so good, you need to build around Rondo.  Rondo will attract players like Carmelo Anthony....

I know that on the other end of the spectrum there are equally overstated claims that Rondo sucks, yada yada yada.

The truth is that Rondo is what he has always been; a sort of enigma who has brilliant skills combined with glaring flaws.  I don't ever remember a players as "bi-polar" in terms of skills and flaws.  Those flaws get more exposed now on a bad team and especially at  the end of games when things tighten up.

He is still our best player so you have to put him out there but I don't think you can build a team around Rondo.  We need to break up with Rondo, hard as that is, and move on.  It was fun while it lasted but it is better for both parties at this point.  We will probably get our best deal at the trade deadline and for Rondo advocates, the deal will seem like pennies on the dollar, but over time (assuming we get young players and picks), the deal will seem better.  He is holding us back and we are holding him back.

Sing it with me, "there must be 50 ways to leave your point guard..."