Author Topic: Can this kid be a plug in our defensive hole?  (Read 30939 times)

Re: Can this kid be a plug in our defensive hole?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Yeah, so 16 points and 24 rebounds tonight...ummmm, I guess Yoki was right  -  the Cs definitely should have taken a flier on him  :-\

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-dallas-mavericks-s013015-story.html
along with 28 other GMs. its not as if ainge can be singled out here.

That argument is really getting old, imo, and really never had much of a case, anyway.  Ainge missed on Wesley Matthews, Deandre Jordan, Jimmy Butler, Tony Wroten, and Giannis, etc., but it's okay because everyone else did, too? ::)  Yeah, okay (sarcasm). ::)

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2015, 12:04:30 AM »

Offline Whetzell

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yeah exactly.  One GM got lucky, it's not like the GMs that lucked out with a 2nd round pick were targeted the one specific player.  It was a reach. 

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yeah exactly.  One GM got lucky, it's not like the GMs that lucked out with a 2nd round pick were targeted the one specific player.  It was a reach.

It was indeed a reach, and a great one at that.

What bugged me was we NEEDED a rim protector, and here he was, at the time, tearing the D-League apart.

I would totally be okay if HW chose Miami or everyone else. What disappoints me is, we didn't even gave him a look. No reported interest whatsoever, during the time when we are maybe a rim protector away from being a legit East Playoff team.

We needed a rim protector, and there's a kid on Developmental who would look like a good gamble, but we didn't even took a glimpse. That's what gets me.

Of course I could be wrong, maybe they did show interest, but I never read or seen any indication that they did, when we could use a kid with his ability.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2015, 02:05:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Any one find out the 4 or 6 teams that were trying to get him?

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2015, 07:02:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

It was indeed a reach, and a great one at that.

What bugged me was we NEEDED a rim protector, and here he was, at the time, tearing the D-League apart.

I would totally be okay if HW chose Miami or everyone else. What disappoints me is, we didn't even gave him a look. No reported interest whatsoever, during the time when we are maybe a rim protector away from being a legit East Playoff team.

We needed a rim protector, and there's a kid on Developmental who would look like a good gamble, but we didn't even took a glimpse. That's what gets me.

Of course I could be wrong, maybe they did show interest, but I never read or seen any indication that they did, when we could use a kid with his ability.

I read an article about him that said he was interesting a lot of teams during his draft workouts, but after the interview they said no. It said that he came across GMs as arrogant and uncoachable and that he seems to have made huge strides in that area.

Danny used to draft players with character issues before (esp during Big 3 era), but recently he was getting mostly high character guys

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they got lucky taking a flyer on him, no one knew about this kid, sometimes luck really helps a team.  Sometimes a light goes off in a player's head and they get it.

I wonder if he will maintain or just be hot for a season.   Blount played hot one year, though I would say he was still average to subpar and got complacent once he got paid.   He is as Yoki said making the most of his chance.   I wonder if getting paid will change that.   It is too early to tell.

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think they got lucky taking a flyer on him, no one knew about this kid, sometimes luck really helps a team.  Sometimes a light goes off in a player's head and they get it.

I wonder if he will maintain or just be hot for a season.   Blount played hot one year, though I would say he was still average to subpar and got complacent once he got paid.   He is as Yoki said making the most of his chance.   I wonder if getting paid will change that.   It is too early to tell.

And I wonder if we should be the ones who pay him...and how much? Does his contract officialy continue after this year or are there options/restrictions involved?

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Very interested to see what happens when this guy gets paid. Has all the makings of a player getting paid and quickly disappearing that happens way too often. No wonder on the Heat telecast a few games ago they were going on and on about how Zo is trying to take him under his wing and Juwan Howard mentors him on road trips.

I won't be on this bandwagon until he proves he can do it consistently AFTER getting paid, regardless of what he does before that. In fact, I'll say that given our lack of veteran leadership it probably wouldn't even have worked out here.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article7630031.html

“If you’re a jackass, rubbing away that reputation is very hard,” said NBA analyst Amin Elhassan, who before working for ESPN was employed by the Phoenix Suns. “It’s very easy to ruin your reputation and very hard to rebuild it. Hassan Whiteside, for lack of a better word, was a ‘jackass’ when he came out of college. He was delusional and would say things that were not commensurate with how great he was as a player.”

Elhassan described Whiteside as arrogant during some pre-draft interviews. According to Elhassan, Whiteside told one NBA head coach that he didn’t need to improve at anything to be an elite center.

“It turned a lot of people off,” Elhassan said on ESPN Radio. “His work ethic wasn’t very good. He had to hit rock bottom and figure out that, ‘Oh my gosh, my approach in life has not gotten me where I want to go,’ and credit to him that he did that.”

Aside from a dig at the Sacramento Kings’ former front office last week, Whiteside has been understated and genuinely appreciative of his opportunity with the Heat. The team would like to keep it that way.

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Thought this thread should be rehashed given to what happened last week vs Len and now with Olynyk. Imagine once he gets paid.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/03/hassan_whiteside_ejected_bosto.html

After Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside shoved Kelly Olynyk in the back with an obvious cheap shot Monday night -- ultimately drawing an ejection -- the CSNNE broadcast picked up somebody, presumably a Boston Celtics player, celebrating the poor decision.
"That's the Hassan I know, baby,"
came the call, which can be heard above.

While it's unclear who delivered the comment, Isaiah Thomas, close to the action, was one of Whiteside's teammates years ago on the Sacramento Kings. Unable to find an NBA home at the beginning of this season, the Heat center has surprised the basketball world with a succession of double-doubles. He still hasn't shaken his reputation as a knucklehead, though, and Monday night's overreaction will not help in that regard.

That's definitely Thomas who said it too!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RW-Xsoknhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SklqtiGoWGQ
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:12:18 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2015, 11:25:55 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Thought this thread should be rehashed given to what happened last week vs Len and now with Olynyk. Imagine once he gets paid.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/03/hassan_whiteside_ejected_bosto.html

After Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside shoved Kelly Olynyk in the back with an obvious cheap shot Monday night -- ultimately drawing an ejection -- the CSNNE broadcast picked up somebody, presumably a Boston Celtics player, celebrating the poor decision.
"That's the Hassan I know, baby,"
came the call, which can be heard above.

While it's unclear who delivered the comment, Isaiah Thomas, close to the action, was one of Whiteside's teammates years ago on the Sacramento Kings. Unable to find an NBA home at the beginning of this season, the Heat center has surprised the basketball world with a succession of double-doubles. He still hasn't shaken his reputation as a knucklehead, though, and Monday night's overreaction will not help in that regard.

That's definitely Thomas who said it too!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RW-Xsoknhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SklqtiGoWGQ
I'm ok with the incident against Len. It looks like he gets swatted on the head from him and then Len tries to throw him.

But the play against Olynyk is a head scratcher. I just don't get that.

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
After what I saw tonight, I am saying "no".   League seems to have made adjustments to him.  Punk factor is very high too.

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
After what I saw tonight, I am saying "no".   League seems to have made adjustments to him.

Heat announcer made a solid point. From here on out teams are going to be very physical with him until  he proves he can keep his frustrations in order. I would love to see how acts in the playoffs when the game is a lot rougher.

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
After what I saw tonight, I am saying "no".   League seems to have made adjustments to him.

Really, because I'd rather have him or Isiah Thomas any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Sure, tonight wasn't a good one for him, and it was only last week that he had 24 and 25 rebound games.  If the league has adjusted to him, he shouldn't be able to do that, imo.  The bottom line here is that he's awesome, and we could have had him FOR FREE!  Ugh.

I also don't agree that he's a knucklehead.  That was a strange and uncalled for play, sure, but having ADD doesn't make you a headcase by any stretch of the imagination. 

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Heat announcer made a solid point. From here on out teams are going to be very physical with him until  he proves he can keep his frustrations in order. I would love to see how acts in the playoffs when the game is a lot rougher.

I'd love to see him go up against the Bulls, after he destroyed their entire front line, lol.  The playoffs and the regular season should be officiated the same way, though, or is that just me?

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Really, because I'd rather have him or Isiah Thomas any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Sure, tonight wasn't a good one for him, and it was only last week that he had 24 and 25 rebound games.  If the league has adjusted to him, he shouldn't be able to do that, imo.  The bottom line here is that he's awesome, and we could have had him FOR FREE!  Ugh.

You're assuming that the result would've been the same though. The Heat have respected veterans on the team (Wade, Bosh, Deng, Haslem, etc.), an assistant coach (Juwan Howard) who's sole job right now is mentoring Whiteside, and a team legend (Zo) who also is tasked with a similar responsibility. Where would he have received that from us?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:50:24 PM by Eddie20 »