Author Topic: Can this kid be a plug in our defensive hole?  (Read 30915 times)

Re: Can this kid be a plug in our defensive hole?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Trade for biyombo and see what happens

Another PF?

I mean sure, we could use some rim protection, but can we atleast try to get one who can protect the rim and has size?

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Another PF?

I mean sure, we could use some rim protection, but can we atleast try to get one who can protect the rim and has size?

Biyombo is a center who is a rim protector without size.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Another PF?

Fair point. But can we get a Center who is a rim protector with size instead? I know it's moot point but Whiteside would have been a great gamble. We wont give a ton to test him out.

Guys from Miami sure looked like they saw what I was seeing as well (not that I'm implying anything).

Just a tad bit disappointed in a way. It could have been us who could have given Whiteside a chance to prove himself on the NBA level. Not to mention that we need what we can potentially offer on the floor. 

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I have an unfortunate update concerning Hassan Whiteside, Yoki - the Grizzlies re-signed or signed (whatever term you want to use) him yesterday, so he's no longer available.  Sigh.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/lucas-resigned-141119

He was waived once again. And he had another good showing in his Iowa return.

24 points, 16 rebounds, 4 blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtEyF4ym_Q4

Again, I know it's the D-League but three games in he's been elite on the Developmental. All I'm saying is a flier, take a chance on him. It's not a 100% answer to our rim protecting problem, but he could.

Some positives in the clip:

1. Gets the ball up high and the shot goes right up>>>no Perk-like hands dropping gather.
2. Looks like he has soft hands.

3. Seems to be moving well without the ball.
4. Seems to have a nose for the ball.
5. Looks a lot stronger than he used to be.

The negative that could cancel all the positives: his level of opposition.

I'd still take a flyer on him and dump Pressey. I admire Pressey's grit and determination, but it's time to move on from him. We need a big a LOT more.

I agree, especially about keeping the ball high when he catches it, and I love that spin move at the 1:38 mark.  His first move looked awkward, but he's just so big that he completely dwarfed and overwhelmed Birch beer  ;) ;D on the block. 

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Miami just signed him. We should have given Vitor Money to Stiesma.
Well, here's what Chad Ford once said about Whiteside:

A number of teams reported to me that their interviews with Whiteside were rocky. I can understand why. In the 15 minutes or so I spent with him one-on-one he projected a confidence that bordered on naïve arrogance. He compared himself to everyone from Dwight Howard to Hakeem Olajuwon (with whom he spent a week training), complained about where I had him on my mock draft (No. 14 to the Rockets) and was insulted that our scouting report didn't have more on his 3-point shooting ability.

Whiteside clearly believes he has the stuff to be great ... but my interview with him was eerily similar to the one I had with Tyrus Thomas a few years ago. Thomas tried to convince me he was a perimeter player, complained he wasn't ranked No. 1 and generally seemed clueless about the rest of the players in the draft.

Whiteside did shoot 60% on threes in college, but he only had five attempts.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Another PF?

Fair point. But can we get a Center who is a rim protector with size instead? I know it's moot point but Whiteside would have been a great gamble. We wont give a ton to test him out.

Guys from Miami sure looked like they saw what I was seeing as well (not that I'm implying anything).

Just a tad bit disappointed in a way. It could have been us who could have given Whiteside a chance to prove himself on the NBA level. Not to mention that we need what we can potentially offer on the floor.

I don't think he is a good gamble.  He fits the profile of a guy who has been given more chances than he deserves because of size/athleticism when guys who are shorter or less athletic have a better chance of becoming a productive player.

Bigger isn't always better and the Celtics should be concentrating on who is better instead of fulfilling a size fetish.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Another PF?

I don't think he is a good gamble.  He fits the profile of a guy who has been given more chances than he deserves because of size/athleticism when guys who are shorter or less athletic have a better chance of becoming a productive player.

Bigger isn't always better and the Celtics should be concentrating on who is better instead of fulfilling a size fetish.

What do you mean given more chance than he deserved? He's playing behind DeMarcus Cousins in SacTo, do you honestly think that he'll get minutes over him?

After that, he got hurt and missed the season, then got waived the year after.

Then he played in the D-League, overseas and a VERY short stint in Memphis in which he has no slot to begin with.

Outside of Miami signing him, where is this "given more chance than he deserve" coming from? I understand it's lesser competition but ever since he left the NBA, he has played in an elite level everywhere he went. He did well with Memphis in the preseason in his limited minutes. He's averaging a double-double in the D-League and blocking shots left and right. And he's only 25. Is that not deserving of an another look?

Also, why is he not a good gamble? Why? I seriously don't get it... He won't cost us a draft pick, nor a ton of money. And he can either fail and we can say "we tried but atleast we didnt give too much" or he will flourish and we can say "we stole him". Why is it not a good gamble about that? T

Heck, Pat Riley thought he's a good gamble. He signed him.

Again, he would have only costed us a veteran minimum contract. Tell me another prospect that we can take a flier on that is that cheap with some potential to be a good defensive center?

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Powell tore up the D league too and he does not fill our defensive hole.  So pass and most of the other guys are not even close to being up to the task.   Barrel Scraping at Celticsblog.

Biyombo is a tweener, I would not want a guy the worst GM drafter in the NBA drafted.   Yes, MJ can play basketball but as Owner, he has shown he doesn't know it, time and again.  Pass.

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
He's a good gamble only if signing Patrick O'Bryant was a good gamble.

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Powell tore up the D league too and he does not fill our defensive hole.  So pass and most of the other guys are not even close to being up to the task.   Barrel Scraping at Celticsblog.

Biyombo is a tweener, I would not want a guy the worst GM drafter in the NBA drafted.   Yes, MJ can play basketball but as Owner, he has shown he doesn't know it, time and again.  Pass.

Right, except that Powell isn't a shot blocker, so he wouldn't be able to fill the void even if he did receive adequate playing time, imo.

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He's a good gamble only if signing Patrick O'Bryant was a good gamble.

Were going to have to agree to disagree then. I think you're way off on this.

O'Bryant was a lottery bust, Whiteside was a second round pick. O'Bryant was playing competitively for three years, Whiteside played 2 minutes the entire year in 2010-11 because of injury and only had a year to prove himself before he got cut. And O'Bryant costed us more money to have, Whiteside didn't command a $3 million salary to be on an NBA roster.

The only thing similar to the two is size. The amount of money to have them on the team are night and day.

I get it, Whiteside may turn into O'Bryant, or he may be better. But an NBA team won't pay him $1.5 million per year to find that out, he'll cost WAY less. Tell me then if it's the same gamble.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:44:03 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

Offline thehumburger

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I agree it would have been a no-risk move to give Whiteside a try, except: would they have to waive someone to fit him on the 15-man roster? Perhaps C's thought Powell and Vitor still have more potential than this guy.

While we're on the topic of rim protectors posting monster d-league stats in limited minutes that don't mean much in terms of NBA talent, I've always had a thing for Clint Capela as a possible future defensive big for the C's. 25th pick by the Rockets last year, he's 20 yo, 6'10" with hops, McHale already said he'd be spending the bulk of the year in the d-league and Rockets are obv built to win now. He's coming off a groin injury and is playing limited minutes but has posted 31pts/19rbs/16blk in 49 total minutes. Unlike Whiteside he hasn't busted out of the league yet so could have real potential. If we wind up dealing Bass or Green I wouldn't mind seeing him routed to Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3cGuPs5a4

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right, except that Powell isn't a shot blocker, so he wouldn't be able to fill the void even if he did receive adequate playing time, imo.

How tall are you?  Powell is 6'11" and has 35" max vertical.   Did you play basketball or just watch it?   There is a thing called timing and it's largely innate.   But he has plenty of size to bother shots.  Trouble is he thinks he is a SF.  This guy has better physical tools than KO or Sully it is the stuff between the ears that is holding him back.

I suggest you read this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2106849-dwight-powell-nba-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-and-more

Note he is blocking a shot with his elbow.

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

How tall are you?  Powell is 6'11" and has 35" max vertical.   Did you play basketball or just watch it?   There is a thing called timing and it's largely innate.   But he has plenty of size to bother shots.  Trouble is he thinks he is a SF.  This guy has better physical tools than KO or Sully it is the stuff between the ears that is holding him back.

I suggest you read this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2106849-dwight-powell-nba-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-and-more

Note he is blocking a shot with his elbow.

I don't see what my height has to do with this lol, but I'm a little taller than Rondo, and yes, I did play rec basketball for two years in high school lol, and I was the worst player out there - mainly because I didn't have the confidence to take a shot, no matter how much I practiced.  Ugh.  If you're frustrated with KO, watching me might have made you put your head through a wall lol ;D.  I loved passing and defense, though, not that it matters haha, and because of my height, I always played as a center, so I do understand about timing and reflexes, etc., it's just that in his first d-league game, his 17 rebounds were outstanding, but he didn't have a single block, and the most shots per game that he ever blocked at Stanford were 1.1, and 0.9 for his collegiate career, so that's hardly intimidating, but, in all, fairness, I haven't yet read the linked article, nor did I ever see him play.

Btw, in saying that he has the physical tools but lacks something between the ears, did you not just inadvertently make the argument for Whiteside, lol?