Author Topic: Amida Brimah - Raw UConn Center with Rim Protection  (Read 3570 times)

Amida Brimah - Raw UConn Center with Rim Protection
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Bleacher Report's latest mock has us taking 7' Center Amida Brimah with The Clipper's pick. I've never heard of him but his DX scouting report is close to passing the eye test.

Raw as sushi and may never develop into a reliable offensive player but, the defensive tools are hard to ignore. DX also has him slated for the 2016 draft but players come out earlier than expected every year. Anyone know anything about Amida Brimah?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Amida-Brimah-7286/

Re: Amida Brimah - Raw UConn Center with Rim Protection
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTp8YVuZNc

Love the kid...seems to have some good defensive instincts for a 7-footer. Uses his height to great advantage. On some of these blocks he's not even leaving his feet - just keeping his hands up straight in the air, using his length.

Keeps ball in play on a good number of these blocks. He's just a sophomore? Playing like this vs college-level talent?

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

Love the kid...seems to have some good defensive instincts for a 7-footer. Uses his height to great advantage. On some of these blocks he's not even leaving his feet - just keeping his hands up straight in the air, using his length.

Keeps ball in play on a good number of these blocks. He's just a sophomore? Playing like this vs college-level talent?

At first I kind of thought it was too good to be true, at best just another Fab Melo. But he really does look like he can comfortably walk into the role of an NBA defensive center right now.

If Danny likes what he see's I'd not be opposed to taking Brimah with the Clippers pick. I like his defensive footwork. When I saw that he was from Ghana my first thought was wondering if he played soccer. Sure enough this is from the Uconn Website...

"A soccer player in his native Ghana, has only been playing organized basketball some five years. "

Mind you Fab Melo was also a former soccer player but Brimah look's way faster, stronger and more serious in temperament. They must like him, he's a co captain as a sophomore. Nice to see they view him as a leadership candidate.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

At first I kind of thought it was too good to be true, at best just another Fab Melo. But he really does look like he can comfortably walk into the role of an NBA defensive center right now.

If Danny likes what he see's I'd not be opposed to taking Brimah with the Clippers pick. I like his defensive footwork. When I saw that he was from Ghana my first thought was wondering if he played soccer. Sure enough this is from the Uconn Website...

"A soccer player in his native Ghana, has only been playing organized basketball some five years. "

Mind you Fab Melo was also a former soccer player but Brimah look's way faster, stronger and more serious in temperament. They must like him, he's a co captain as a sophomore. Nice to see they view him as a leadership candidate.

FAb's problem seems to be that he was kind of dumb, and not committed to becoming better.  Is he out of the league already or at the end of someone's bench?

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

FAb's problem seems to be that he was kind of dumb, and not committed to becoming better.  Is he out of the league already or at the end of someone's bench?

The Mavs took a flier on him and dropped him soon after. As far as I know he's out of the league.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
7 foot center from Africa, long wingspan, grew up playing soccer, only recently started playing basketball, good footwork, raw skills but athletic.  This sounds familiar.

Here's an article about him winning a 3.4 mile race in 20:22.

http://sportzedge.com/2014/10/01/amida-brimah-wins-uconn-mens-basketballs-husky-run/

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
here is his scouting report from draftexpress.com...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Amida-Brimah-7286/

they have him entering the 2016 draft, but who knows?

oh, and just to chime in on the "soccer" posts above, hakeem olajuwan played that sport as well, and he was good at it. so if we are going to do spurious comparisons, lets do them right.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRiLbhYmT1I
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 12:31:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Here is hoping we get the real deal a lot earlier in the draft

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Not a player I'd rather have at center for my team. Hakeem was a force.

If Brimah can develop into 50-60% Olajuwon it'd be a great pick in the mid lottery.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 01:43:45 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Now the question is... would you draft Amida over Montrezl Harrell?

The mock says we do, but Harrell is Vegas' #2 favored NCAA player of the year candidate. Tough call, Amida fits the physical profile better but Harrell's might be the better player.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 02:14:14 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Now the question is... would you draft Amida over Montrezl Harrell?

The mock says we do, but Harrell is Vegas' #2 favored NCAA player of the year candidate. Tough call, Amida fits the physical profile better but Harrell's might be the better player.

Harrell would basically replicate what Sully does and we really need a rim protecting center.  But I have no idea if Brimah is a better prospect than WCS or Turner or a few other centers.  I can't wait for the college season to get going so I can do my amateur scouting.  There are a lot of good looking centers this season.  Brimah is another one to pay attention to.