Author Topic: How much would you give up for Carmelo Anthony?  (Read 10132 times)

How much would you give up for Carmelo Anthony?
« on: November 15, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I know he's the least favorite player of a lot of you guys... But he's an elite go-to scorer who up until recently had made the playoffs every single year he was in the league.  He's signed on for 5 years making 22-27 mil a year.  He's struggling with the triangle, but still effective.  The Knicks have lost 7 in a row.   Also, there was a weird vibe about him re-signing with the Knicks.  It was almost suggested that he was signing with them for now, but he'd find a new destination later.  Almost made me think that his tenure in New York wasn't permanent.    Then again, the Knicks have cap space to build around Melo next year so I doubt they'd move him.  Nonetheless...

Here's the hypothetical:

On December 15, Phil Jackson sends out a memo to every team in the league.  The Knicks are rebuilding.  Melo will be traded at the end of the week to the team that sends the best offer.  They want expiring contracts, young prospects and draft picks.  Also, they'd be happy for you to take Jose Calderon's salary off their hands as well (7 mil a year for 3 years).

Please submit your blind bid.   

Re: How much would you give up for Carmelo Anthony?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't know that we want a player that will stop the ball. Looks like for all his elite play I do not think he fits in with what the Cs are trying to do. The kind of money he controls can be better spent elsewhere.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
would rather say what I'd do for a Klondike Bar -- same principal but I end up with something better

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nothing.   Our problem is on the end where he is not good at.  Also, your only as good as your foundation and a team based on him is a deck of cards.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I know he's the least favorite player of a lot of you guys... But he's an elite go-to scorer who up until recently had made the playoffs every single year he was in the league.  He's signed on for 5 years making 22-27 mil a year.  He's struggling with the triangle, but still effective.  The Knicks have lost 7 in a row.   Also, there was a weird vibe about him re-signing with the Knicks.  It was almost suggested that he was signing with them for now, but he'd find a new destination later.  Almost made me think that his tenure in New York wasn't permanent.    Then again, the Knicks have cap space to build around Melo next year so I doubt they'd move him.  Nonetheless...

Here's the hypothetical:

On December 15, Phil Jackson sends out a memo to every team in the league.  The Knicks are rebuilding.  Melo will be traded at the end of the week to the team that sends the best offer.  They want expiring contracts, young prospects and draft picks.  Also, they'd be happy for you to take Jose Calderon's salary off their hands as well (7 mil a year for 3 years).

Please submit your blind bid.   

I don't know that we want a player that will stop the ball. Looks like for all his elite play I do not think he fits in with what the Cs are trying to do. The kind of money he controls can be better spent elsewhere.

Ummmm...

I'm a huge fan and hater of Melo. But don't say hes an black hole on offense.. He has averaged 3.1 APG his career.. To put in perspective, Pierce has averaged 3.8 and Gay who everyone seems slightly high on to sign in FA hasn't eclipsed anywhere 3...

Melo has no scorers on the Knicks.. A duo of Amare and Melo was supposed to dominate.. Melo on any given day is ago to guy who has never played with a great pass first PG, can rebound well for his position, (6.5,) and can at least score 20 PPG. He can take the tough shots.. Melo has never had a team as good as '08 Celtics... If you replaced Melo with Pierce, I think we would've still won... Melo is excellent at scoring...

All we would need is a good defender and 3pt shooter at the 2, a rebounding PF, and a strong defensive Center.

I would do Bass, Green, Smart, choice of KO or Sully and Celtic pick lottery protected, and Nets 16 unprotected. Maybe even two second rounders as a sweetener.

Melo has to take the shots.. No one else on his team can be considered 2nd or 3rd options on teams like OKC or Bulls/Cavs/GSW, etc...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
We can score the ball without him.  We need more players like Smart who are willing to step out and defend guys like Anthony.

Of course a defender down low would do wonders for helping the defensive games of Olynyk and Sullinger.  So forget Anthony, & let's stay patient for the Center who becomes available (or just draft one).

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Also, they'd be happy for you to take Jose Calderon's salary off their hands as well (7 mil a year for 3 years). 

This is just wrong. He's a very good player at a very modest contract. He's by no means a salary dump.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Also, they'd be happy for you to take Jose Calderon's salary off their hands as well (7 mil a year for 3 years). 

This is just wrong. He's a very good player at a very modest contract. He's by no means a salary dump.

He's kind of a pg equivalent of Brandon Bass. Not really underpaid, not really overpaid, a solid but average player.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I read somewhere that Carmelo was starting an investment firm, so he needed as much money as possible to get it off the ground and for security. That, and New York is a very good place to run an investment firm out of. Point being, I think you're right saying he might have had ulterior motives for signing his contract.

And Calderon would be great on this team. 3 point shooter who can handle the ball.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He's kind of a pg equivalent of Brandon Bass. Not really underpaid, not really overpaid, a solid but average player.

Calderon is a good pg, definitely better than average. The guy is one of the best shooters in the game and would fit in seamlessly with probably any team in the league when you combine that shooting with his passing and high basketball IQ . He's not a flashy player and this alters the perception of his true worth.

He's quietly put up some insane efficiency numbers over his career:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3989/

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 06:07:12 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Smart, our pick this year, their choice of one of the Clippers pick/the Cleveland pick/the Philly 2nd rounders and then their choice of Sully/Olynyk. Match salary with Bass and Green's contract.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"How much would you give up for Carmelo Anthony? "

not a whole lot.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
would rather say what I'd do for a Klondike Bar -- same principal but I end up with something better

Lol, too bad Carmelo is a top five player in the game. You would never say such a thing about Rondo.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
While I agree that a big man in the mold of Gasol or Jordan should be first on the list, I would certainly be more than happy to call Carmelo a Celtic. I am a fan of Jeff Green, but we just don't have other stars to surround him with and even with a stallwart big in the middle, our sg and/or sf positions would need an upgrade to move near contender status. Enter Carmelo Anthony.

Off the top of my head, I would do Green, Bass, Bradley, 2016 Bkn 1st, 2015 Bos 1st. I understand that they may want Sully or KO - if so, swap Sully and Faverani for Bradley. As far as Smart goes, I would not be willing to part with him, but may relent on Young if they pushed us on it.

I don't necessarily know what I am talking about - it is probably too little (?), but I would certainly be in favor of bringing Carmelo to town.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Calderon is a good pg, definitely better than average. The guy is one of the best shooters in the game and would fit in seamlessly with probably any team in the league when you combine that shooting with his passing and high basketball IQ . He's not a flashy player and this alters the perception of his true worth.

He's quietly put up some insane efficiency numbers over his career:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3989/

Heh... Eddie, I think you missed the point.  Calderon is 33.  In a world where Phil Jackson offers up Melo to the highest bidder, they have zero use for a 33 year old veteran PG.  They'd want youth and picks to build around... not a guy who will be 36 when his contract ends. 

Not all that important.  More interested in what people would give up with for Melo