Author Topic: Who might be a good coach to replace Stevens?  (Read 9943 times)

Re: Who might be a good coach to replace Stevens?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I was one of the first to throw mud at Stevens but I'm not ready to give up on him. I hear how positive he is all the time and I guess that works for some people. I prefer a coach that rips his players and motivates them that way, anger pushes me to fight harder.

I would assume he will get better as the season goes on.

Also I was one of the first to yell Fire Doc, I still believe he was AWFUL with young players and I'm still not a fan of him as a coach. In saying that he was very good at drawing up plays.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:21:35 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Yeah, we need a coach who doesn't force his players to foul three point shooters and commit unforced turnovers late in the game. Those are just bad strategies and someone should tell Brad to take them out of the playbook.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Is clear now that this coach cannot manage a team at NBA level. Talking about professional level. Who might be a good coach to replace Stevens? We should select a godd and experienced coach. No more kid-experiments please...

I think BS is a good coach, not sure what a godd coach is, should be get the pope?

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The idea of firing Brad Stevens is silly.  The team clearly looks a lot better than last season.

Having said that, the defense has been pretty awful and they're still blowing double digit leads, sometimes against bad teams.  If that continues into next season, it might be time to think about a new coach.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Stevens is fine, the players, not so much. I like who we have, but we are missing the go to guy that can get us out of slumps, and keep the team from falling into a hole when the other team got hot.

Irving killed our momentum last night, those were huge shots, and Rondo isn't the guy that can step up and kill the opposing teams run, he's the guy to set it up.

Stevens is doing a good job, I can't believe some people expect more from him right now, his feet are barely wet, and he's working with a young roster.  The first 3 quarters the team played well, usually does. You can see how good he can be, he just needs to get the players to finish the games like they started. Yeah he has room to improve, but why not improve with a team that has no expectations, no "seasoned"  would want to touch this team with this roster. So it's perfect to have Stevens grow with the team. Now if we had better players, then we could complain, but when the players stop running plays, it's not his fault. Doc had it happen to him, and so many other teams too.

Oh yeah, and we played Cleveland, who on paper should be miles ahead of use. Lebron had a monster game, and Irving like I said, blew up in the 4th. If  He doesn't hit those 3 threes in a row, we are talking win right now.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
I remember the 'Fire Doc' threads. these are similar. You can't blame a cook if he can't turn a plate of garbage into a 4-star experience. Well you can blame him, but it's misguided, and whoever you get to replace him will have the same problems. That makes you a bad businessman, not a decisive one.

Eh, the roster isn't great but it still should have enough talent to beat a team like OKC without Durant and Westbrook.  But every team has bad losses and they've looked competitive in every game except Houston.  Good coaching has to eventually lead to wins, though, or players will just tune it out.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Having a top-6 offense with our collection of talent is pretty impressive.  Plus, Stevens has the team playing hard, and seems to do a great job of managing egos.

Defensively, the team needs some serious work.  We're never going to be a good defensive team with our gaping hole in the middle, but 28th in defense is unacceptable.  However, the team is a work in progress, and I expect they will improve eventually.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Having a top-6 offense with our collection of talent is pretty impressive.  Plus, Stevens has the team playing hard, and seems to do a great job of managing egos.

Defensively, the team needs some serious work.  We're never going to be a good defensive team with our gaping hole in the middle, but 28th in defense is unacceptable.  However, the team is a work in progress, and I expect they will improve eventually.

Same.  I think we were like 13th in defense last year, it's just gonna take a little time.  Losing Hump and Bayless should not have shot us down 15 spots (though less Wallace and Lee hurts).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't understand why people want to dump Stevens and trade Rondo, not on board with this at all.  Stevens is the best young coach in the league and Rondo is an all-star point guard, best passer in the league, worth a 100 million dollar contract, which he will get. 

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Brad needs to watch some tape of other coaches rotations.   Very odd rest patterns he's using for our best players..feels like he is icing our own guys

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Anyone who wants to fire Brad Stevens deserves to have Mike Brown as a replacement.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Brad needs to watch some tape of other coaches rotations.   Very odd rest patterns he's using for our best players..feels like he is icing our own guys

I didn't look at every game, but it seems like Stevens likes to keep at least two starters in the game while most coaches are willing to put 4-5 bench guys on the floor at the same time.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Troll Hard... Troll Hard
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Here's Blatt in the Cav's huddle before the last play.

"Ok, guys every match up on the floor for this last second play is to our advantage. Each player we have has a better chance of making the defensive play than the Celtics have of making the basket. Stevens has one option...he will try to hit Green off the inbounds which, if he gets the hoop we will still have 4.5 seconds to get it back. He does not have anyone else."

Everybody from here to Detroit and back knew it was to Green....who is covered by the best player of the generation.   

Stevens doesn't have any players. He should get a medal for what he's done with this roster. He has done the only thing he can do with this group and that is amp up the scoring to the point where the Celtic's offense is top three in the NBA (playing good teams).

Ainge has given him nothing beyond Rondo and Stevens has given us fans the San Diego Chargers.

"Rajon Rondo leads nine bench guys to NBA scoring title"

We're not getting any other titles with this group.

Now this would make Rondo into Phillip Rivers....which means Sullinger is Antonio Gates?
Last year, of course we were the Redskins meaning Rondo was RG III and injured a lot.

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
Stevens doesn't have any players.

That is an overstatement.  He's got an all-star point guard, two guys who started for playoff-caliber teams, two very promising young bigs, a slightly less promising big, a proven rotation player and a high lottery pick. 

Stevens has got the offense running tremendously well and seems to have created a good playing environment.  The defense has been awful, which I'm willing to put more on the players, but I think Stevens bears a lot of responsibility for the numerous implosions we've gotten from this team.

It's been only 8 games and only 1 loss to a team we really should have beaten (OKC), but this team can't be coughing up big leads when they play teams like the Bucks and the Magic.  Let's especially see what happens against Philly.

Mike