Author Topic: Utah, Denver three team idea  (Read 2207 times)

Utah, Denver three team idea
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Utah receives:
Ty Lawson

Denver receives:
Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, Kelly Olynyk, Gerald Wallace, & spare parts

Boston receives:
Rudy Gobert, Javalle McGee, Aaron Afflolo

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=la85ho5

Why for Utah--
This trade moves them into relevancy, and while the price of two budding prospects is steep, they are essentially trading two backups for an All Star. 
Lawson
Burks
Haywood
Favors
Kantor
Is a really solid starting 5 that brings winning ball back to Utah, all guys in their NBA primes.

Why for Denver--
They need a roster reset in the worst way, clear out the underperforming vets for some youth.  Sure they could shop Lawson, Afflolo & McGee separately, but not sure they would net more value back than the troika of Smart, Exum & Olynyk.  They take on Wallace et al. to make the salaries work, but would have an exciting nucleus in place going forward
Exum
Smart
Galo/Chandler
Fariad
Olynyk
Mixing nba ready young guns with their vets at the forwards this a core they can build around for years to come.

Why for Boston:
Celts get two legitimate rim protectors and a starting SG that together with Rondo & Sully, should push us well up the food chain in the East.  Yes its tough to move on from Smart and Olynyk, but what sets this move apart in my mind is that we don't need to part with ANY of our future picks (and dump GW's $..) while at the same time making this team much better/ contender in the east.

Rondo \ Turner
Afflolo \ Bradley
Green \ Thornton
Sully \ Bass
Gobert \ McGee \ Zeller

Lots of defensive ability & shooting on this squad, would suite the CBS style well.  I love Gobert's game, he has uncanny athleticism and soft hands for a big.  His potential alone (to me) is worth the price of Smart/Olynyk.  Coupled with McGee, another rim protector, we limit our downside in the move and add the components our current roster needs to compete.  Afflolo fits in well here, vet 3&D guy who pushes Avery to a better suited bench role.  Flips our team from young to vet without giving up any of our future picks. 

I personally think both Utah and Denver jump at this.  For Boston its not fireworks, but it is the best of both worlds.  Would you pay the cost of Smart/Olynyk/Wallace to get there?

Re: Utah, Denver three team idea
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think all three teams say no.

Utah -- I do not think they give up Exum for Ty Lawson. They rated Exum very highly and believe he has a much higher ceiling than someone like Ty Lawson.

Denver -- Denver have been a win-now team since Stan Kroenke took over. They want to win 50 games, get fans to pay money to watch them and be profitable. Winning is not their priority. Keeping fans engaged and the team profitable is. The trade the OP suggested is a terrific rebuilding trade for Denver but I don't believe they'll go for that. I think they'll continue to look to retool and build on the move. Try to keep winning as much as they possible can as soon as they possible can (like choosing that NYK win now trade package for Melo over BKN's superior rebuilding package).

Boston -- Smart and Olynyk is too high a price for Gobert (bench player with potential to be above average starter), McGee (a dud with an awful contract) and Afflalo (above average starter).

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Denver -- Denver have been a win-now team since Stan Kroenke took over. They want to win 50 games, get fans to pay money to watch them and be profitable. Winning is not their priority. Keeping fans engaged and the team profitable is. The trade the OP suggested is a terrific rebuilding trade for Denver but I don't believe they'll go for that. I think they'll continue to look to retool and build on the move. Try to keep winning as much as they possible can as soon as they possible can (like choosing that NYK win now trade package for Melo over BKN's superior rebuilding package).

I think I agree with your take on Denver, but interpret it differently.   The way they are playing, they need a big shake up to keep winning/ selling tickets.   While being a rebuilding deal of sorts, those three prospects are far enough along now that with Faried, should fair better than the current roster is.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Utah -- I do not think they give up Exum for Ty Lawson. They rated Exum very highly and believe he has a much higher ceiling than someone like Ty Lawson.

I think Enes Kanter for Ty Lawson is a fair trade.

That is more along the lines of where I have Ty Lawson's trade value.

Exum is too valuable to give up for Lawson. He is someone that Utah is hoping can become someone they can build their entire team around. Ty Lawson is not that type of talent. I think Utah would need to get back an established All-Star who is expected to make multiple All-Star appearances in future to give up on Exum at this early stage in his development.

I think Ty Lawson is an above average starting PG. I think Kanter is a good young center who can be a quality starting center for the next decade. I think that is fair trade off talent wise.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
good points^^
Lawson probably isn't quite worth that kind of prospect. 

How about something with ATL and Utah instead?

Utah receives:
Rondo

Atlanta receives:
Exum, Olynyk, Bass, spare part(s)

Boston receives:
Al Horford, Gobert, spare part(s)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n6zmz3x

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
good points^^

Utah receives:
Rondo

Atlanta receives:

Boston receives:

What's the point of acquiring Horford if you're not pairing him with Rondo? 

Ignoring that point, Rondo, KO, Bass for Horford and Gobert is a bit steep IMHO for Horford and a project and I really like Horford. 

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
good points^^

Utah receives:
Rondo

Atlanta receives:

Boston receives:

What's the point of acquiring Horford if you're not pairing him with Rondo? 

Ignoring that point, Rondo, KO, Bass for Horford and Gobert is a bit steep IMHO for Horford and a project and I really like Horford.

I think it is a fair trade for everyone. I am not sure if all do it but I believe it's fair value and worth considering for all. Utah would need Rondo to sign extension. Atlanta would have to want to rebuild which they have been reluctant to do thus far.

----------------------------------------------

A big man trio ...

PF: Sully, (Horford)
 C: Horford, Gobert

... would be great to watch. Give the team a strong base to build off of. Maybe move Gobert into starting spot in future and keep Sully as a 6th man. A Gobert + Horford tandem would give the team an excellent defensive + rebounding foundation to build around.

Jeff Green and Marcus Smart would give the team an excellent foundation for a top perimeter defense as well. If Boston could acquire a top scoring guard (via free agency), that team could become a title contender.