Author Topic: Cavs (3-3) at Celtics (3-4) Game 8 11/14/14  (Read 81515 times)

Cavs (3-3) at Celtics (3-4) Game 8 11/14/14
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:03 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) at Boston Celtics (3-4)
Friday, November 14, 2014
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #8, Home Game #5
TV: CSN-NE, FSOhio, NBA-LP 755(DTV)/752(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WTAM 1100
TD Garden

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger,  Kelly Olynyk

Celtics Reserves

Phil Pressey
Evan Turner
Marcus Thornton
Brandon Bass
Dwight Powell
Tyler Zeller
James Young
Gerald Wallace

Injuries

Vitor Faverani (knee) out
Marcus Smart (ankle) out

Probable Starters

Kyrie Irving, Shawn Marion, LeBron James, Kevin Love, Anderson Varejao

Cavs Reserves
Mike Miller
Tristan Thompson
Joe Harris
Will Cherry
Alex Kirk
Lou Amundson
Brendan Haywood
James Jones

Injuries
Dion Waiters (back) game time decision
Matthew Dellavedova (knee) out

Game Notes
The Cavs visit the Garden for the first of 4 meetings with the Celtics this season.  The Celtics won the series with the Cavs 3-0 last season but much has changed since then.  With LeBron James return to the Cavs, they have gone from a lottery team to favorites to win the title.  However, this early in the season, they have the same number of wins as the Celtics. 

The Cavs haven't played since Monday when they won their second straight game.  This is the first of back to back games for the Cavs who return home to face the Hawks on Saturday.   The Cavs are 2-2 on the road while the Celtics are 2-2 at  home. 

LeBron James is just 16 points away from passing Celtics legend Robert Parish for 24th on the all time scoring list.  Dion Waiters is listed as probable but will be a game time decision.   For the Celtics Marcus Thornton returned to practice on Thursday and is expected to play while Vitor Faverani and Marcus Smart are still out. 

Key Matchups

vs
Rajon Rondo vs Kyrie Irving
Irving has had some big games against the Celtics in the past.  He is averaging 22 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 5.0 assists per game this season and stopping him will be key to slowing the Cavs' offense.   

vs
Jeff Green vs LeBron James
Jeff Green will certainly have his hands full in this matchup.  Jeff is going to have to play tough defense as well as try to make LeBron have to work to guard him as well. 

Honorable Mention

Jared Sullinger vs Kevin Love
For the Celtics this is a matchup of what is vs what might have been.  There have been comparisons between Sully and Love although Sully has a ways to go before he will be on Love's level.   This should be a good matchup. 

Keys to the Game
Defense Defense Defense!!  The Celtics defense against the Thunder left much to be desired.  Brad Stevens spent much of practice working on their defense and hopefully that will result in better defense in this game.  Defense wins games. 

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball.  They must crash the boards as a team to prevent the Cavs from getting second chance and fast break points.  They also need to rebound to give themselves extra possessions and to fuel their running game. 

Push the Pace -  The Celtics need to push the pace of the game and keep the Cavs running.  If they do, they will have a chance to get some easy points before the Cavs defense sets up. 

Effort - The Celtics have won their games by putting out more effort than their opponents.  They have to be the first team to loose balls, rebounds, and they have to be the team that works harder if they want to have a chance to win this game. 

X-Factor
Rust vs Rest vs Effort
The Cavs have been off since Monday and may have some rust starting out in this game.  If the Celtics can jump on them and put out more effort, they may have a chance to steal this one. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:10:54 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Cavs (3-3) at Celtics (3-4) Game 8 11/14/14
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
woohoo, first one to give you a TP for a terrific game thread FL.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Does anyone else prefer us to start slow then come on late? As oppose to starting strong then fizzling out? 

I hope its a close game unlike last night.  If its close , like 5 points close, I'll take that as a moral victory... Something we surely need. 

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks slamtheking!   TP back at ya for being first to post in the thread!!

Go Celtics!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Another game, another thread, another TP, another victory.  :D

Goooooooo celtics!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Does anyone else prefer us to start slow then come on late? As oppose to starting strong then fizzling out? 

I hope its a close game unlike last night.  If its close , like 5 points close, I'll take that as a moral victory... Something we surely need.

Rather just play close all night still lose but not by over 7.

Thunder game was an embarrassment. Some tanking and then full team collapse. (It was what a bunch of posters warn about with a team that tanks. First time I've seen a C's team do that. Usually C's tank only due to subbing).

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thanks slamtheking!   TP back at ya for being first to post in the thread!!

Go Celtics!!!!!
always fun to be the first.  don't know why, just is. 

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Rather just play close all night still lose but not by over 7.

Thunder game was an embarrassment. Some tanking and then full team collapse. (It was what a bunch of posters warn about with a team that tanks. First time I've seen a C's team do that. Usually C's tank only due to subbing).
I'd rather we just spank them from beginning to end if we're giving our preferences.  Beating Lebron is second only to beating the Lakers.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »

Online letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Not gonna be pretty

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61
First game I'll get to watch live this season. Hoping for a close one that the Cs somehow steal away.

Although on second thought a blowout-victory would be quite pleasant as well...  ;)

EDIT: TP to FL. As a long-time reader who hardly ever posts I don't give enough credit for the excellent work she's doing with the game threads. Thank you, it is much appreciated!

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Briefly entertained the idea of scouring for floor seats simply to see James, but then I remember that my landlord probably wouldn't be too excited about the fact that I'd skipped rent to do so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Big game, so Rondo probably has a big game.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Not gonna be pretty

For the Cavs!  :D
exactly the right response for a game thread! tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We haven't had a game where we shot the lights out from 3. I think that happens tonight to make it at least a close game.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19