Author Topic: Indy/Boston trade: would you do it?  (Read 3227 times)

Indy/Boston trade: would you do it?
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Indy is off to a horrible start, and there's no guarantee that they'll be competing next year with George working his way back from a major injury, no Stephenson, an older West, and the possibility of Hibbert opting out.  Their cornerstone guy, George, is young enough and locked into a long enough contract to do another rebuild while still having him in his prime.  Therefore, if they decide to tear down and rebuild, we could take advantage of this opportunity and make a Brooklyn-esque trade with them.  We'd lose some of our young prospects, but I think it'd be worth it.  They'd get their future starting point guard in Smart and possibly even their starting 2 in Bradley or Young. They'd also get a high draft pick this year, possibly to fill the void of Hibbert with one of the C's of the draft. Would you do any of the following?

Trade 1
Boston: Hibbert, West
Indy: Wallace, Thornton, Smart, Young, 2015 Clippers 1st, 2015 Boston 1st

OR

Trade 2
Indy: Wallace, Bradley (when he can be traded), Smart, Bass, 2015 Celtics 1st, 2015 Clippers 1st

Trade 1 Depth Chart:
PG: Rondo, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Turner
SF: Green, Turner
PF: West, Sully, Bass
C: Hibbert, Olynyk, Zeller

Trade 2 Depth Chart:
SG: Thornton, Young
PF: West, Sully

If Indy went full rebuild and trade mode, would you do either of these trades? Are we a contender with these trades?

Re: Indy/Boston trade: would you do it?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Out of the two, I do the first trade, but I'd prefer to hold onto Smart if possible.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Out of the two, I do the first trade, but I'd prefer to hold onto Smart if possible.

So if you were GM and Indy offered that package to you straight up, would you do it today? I think you almost have to, even with giving up so much potential in Smart and Young.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Neither... West is horrible and isn't that great of a defender.. KO and Sully can offer the same amount of offense and is cheaper. Hibbert has a player option, and most people think he's gonna opt out for flexibility and security. Also, you don't trade away Young or Smart for Hibbert and definitely not West.. Plus we are gifting them two picks? Wallace is a ten million expiring contract next year..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Neither... West is horrible and isn't that great of a defender.. KO and Sully can offer the same amount of offense and is cheaper. Hibbert has a player option, and most people think he's gonna opt out for flexibility and security. Also, you don't trade away Young or Smart for Hibbert and definitely not West.. Plus we are gifting them two picks? Wallace is a ten million expiring contract next year..

West is better than you give him credit for, but I do agree that Sully can offer a similar amount for much less. I just think they'll almost insist on packaging West with Hibbert, which isn't a bad attachment when it's all said and done.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

West is better than you give him credit for, but I do agree that Sully can offer a similar amount for much less. I just think they'll almost insist on packaging West with Hibbert, which isn't a bad attachment when it's all said and done.

I like West. I was sad when he chose IND over us, but it made sense. I just think he's declined to a point where if you make him your starting, which he will demand to be, that he can replicate 16/9.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Both of the offers are laughable. Indiana GM hangs up the phone.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What value does David West have to our team at this point?  Even if this deal was made, we still wouldn't be contenders this year, or likely next either.  At that point West is a 36-year-old free agent, and we don't have the chance to develop our 2015 lotto pick.  Just don't see why he and Hibbert would be worth so many young players and picks.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:08:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

So if you were GM and Indy offered that package to you straight up, would you do it today? I think you almost have to, even with giving up so much potential in Smart and Young.

I don't think so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Honestly I'm done with building a team around Rondo. So no trade.

On a trade judging between the two.  I feel you can not give up Bradley and Smart. You have to have a good perimeter defender. So 1st is better than 2nd.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Hibbert/West for Wallace/Bass/Olynyk/Young/Faverani & 2015 Celtics pick 2015 Clippers pick and Sixers 2nd rounder.  I do no more then that.  Smart, Bradley, Sully are off limits. 

That is a fair trade for the Pacers considering both Hibbert and West can opt out at the end of the season.  As part of this deal they need to opt in which of course means Rondo is 99% coming back too if those guys are around. 

Rondo-Bradley-Green-West-Hibbert
Smart-Thornton-Turner-Sully-Zeller....in a shortened playoff rotation Smart/Sully see the bench time with Thornton-Turner-Zeller getting circumstantial minutes. 

That is a very tough, hard nosed team playoff team that would go toe-to toe with the Bulls and Cavs...You maintain some of the young core and also maintain some of the roster flexibility moving forward. 

For the Pacers... James Young/Kelly Olynyk & the Celtics 1st, Clippers pick & Sixers 2nd is a nice haul for an aging big (West) and a Center that could potentially walk anyway...They would also have a sh&t ton of cap space to surround Paul George with fresh talent. 

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Both of the offers are laughable. Indiana GM hangs up the phone.
Right but it Ainge who hangs up the phone if Bird calls him with either of those trades. Our young guys are too valuable to trade them for that package. Hibbert and West are both good but not great. Ainge wants great, trust me, that's why he hasn't made the big move yet.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
absolutely would not do either of the two trades, smart is off limits
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:42:56 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I wouldnt do either of the two trades just because West was involved. I love David West and he is nowhere near "terrible" as someone in this thread has made claim to. He is a perfect compliment to a contending team as a starter.

I would however think hard about offering Smart in a deal for Hibbert. I'd rather hang on to him and still make an offer though.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 11:24:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Indy is off to a horrible start, and there's no guarantee that they'll be competing next year with George working his way back from a major injury, no Stephenson, an older West, and the possibility of Hibbert opting out.  Their cornerstone guy, George, is young enough and locked into a long enough contract to do another rebuild while still having him in his prime.  Therefore, if they decide to tear down and rebuild, we could take advantage of this opportunity and make a Brooklyn-esque trade with them.  We'd lose some of our young prospects, but I think it'd be worth it.  They'd get their future starting point guard in Smart and possibly even their starting 2 in Bradley or Young. They'd also get a high draft pick this year, possibly to fill the void of Hibbert with one of the C's of the draft. Would you do any of the following?

Trade 1
Indy: Wallace, Thornton, Smart, Young, 2015 Clippers 1st, 2015 Boston 1st

OR

Trade 2
Indy: Wallace, Bradley (when he can be traded), Smart, Bass, 2015 Celtics 1st, 2015 Clippers 1st

Trade 1 Depth Chart:
SG: Bradley, Turner
PF: West, Sully, Bass

Trade 2 Depth Chart:
SG: Thornton, Young
PF: West, Sully

If Indy went full rebuild and trade mode, would you do either of these trades? Are we a contender with these trades?

not a fan of either deal. 
Sully is essentially providing what West provides already for a lot less $.   West just further clogs an already overloaded PF position.
Hibbert would be a nice pick up but not for all those young pieces and picks.  granted adding West and Hibbert should push this team into a playoff spot but it's by no means a contender.  Also, Hibbert and West could leave the C's shortly and C's are now out some prospects and picks for a brief rental that has no chance of making the team an impact team in the playoffs.

I also don't see Indy blowing it up this year just because George is out.  He's coming back next year.  Indy gets to add a likely lottery pick from a very solid draft this year to George, West and Hibbert next year.  I would think that's more appealing to Bird than blowing it up and taking what you're offering.