Author Topic: Detroit and Boston  (Read 1822 times)

Detroit and Boston
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
How about this trade:

C's get:

Josh Smith
Greg Monroe

Detroit Gets
Gerald Wallace
Brandon Bass
Kelly Olynyk
2 First Round Draft Picks

Why for Detroit:

Josh Smith is not a fit and they owe him a lot
Greg Monroe is a studd but he doesn't mesh with Drummond and he isn't going to stay in Detroit

Bass and Wallace are two solid vets that can still contribute. Plus Bass is on the last year of his deal and Wallace only has one left, so they are not tied up in long term money (see Josh Smith). Also both have demonstrated that they can be on a bad team, receive little playing time, and not pout about it.

Olynyk is having a break out year and would mesh a lot better with Drummond up front. He is also young and will continue to improve.

2 first round picks is something every rebuilding team would like to have and we have a ton to give.

Why Boston?

Josh Smith would fit well in Boston's space and pace offense and Coach Stevenson's desired defense. He's also great friends with Rondo, which would help us resign him. Also, his contract will not hurt as much as the cap moves up.

Greg Monroe is a true center, which we still really need, and he is only going to get better. A Jeff Green, Josh Smith, and Greg Monroe front court would be incredible on defense and would work in an offense that is all about pace and space.

Bass is not needed with Sully emerging. He is the elephant in the room. . .

Wallace, do I need to say anything here? Give Green, Turner, Smith, and Smart minutes at the 3.

2 Picks, isn't too much for what you are getting, especially depending on the picks we give up. Plus, I think it would take this for Detroit to do it.

Lineup

Rondo, Smart, Pressy
Bradly, Smart, Thorton
Green, Turner, Smart, Smith
Smith, Sully, Green
Monroe, Sully, Zeller 

Re: Detroit and Boston
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No point in trading for Monroe now.  The team will not inherit his bird right and will not be able to offer more money then any other team.  He is basically a rental you hope to be able to buy again.

No Josh Smith.  I didn't like the size of his contract when he signed it, and his play since then (which I know has a lot to do with him being a SF instead of a PF, but who cares, bad play lowers trade value) hasn't been up to his previous standard. 

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 Sometimes I would rather trade Sully than KO.  After last night's game I feel that way of I vary on who is going to stay long term.   Sully is an elite rebounder but I hate his shot selection and effort on D.  KO tries and is the better passer and shooter.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Sometimes I would rather trade Sully than KO.  After last night's game I feel that way of I vary on who is going to stay long term.   Sully is an elite rebounder but I hate his shot selection and effort on D.  KO tries and is the better passer and shooter.

Sullinger was decent last night.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'd trade for Monroe this year because the goal of a basketball team should be to win. In a week East a team featuring Monroe, Smith, Green, Bradley, and Rondo with Sully, Turner, Smart, etc. off of the bench could compete. And winning might help Monroe want to resign with us.

Would would also still have a ton of future draft picks for future moves and development of players. We cannot just keep stocking up picks, you eventually have to get some talent with those picks.

I also understand why a lot of people don't like Josh Smith but us dumping Wallace's contract alone should make us consider this. Once Smith is back to the PF position and is playing with a pass first/set up your team mate point guard, I also see his numbers going up and his shot selection improving.

As far as Kelly or Sully, I would trade either one, and would allow Detroit to select who they wanted. I just thought Kelly would be more appealing to them because I think he is a better fit with Drummond.

Thanks for the good thoughts guys!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd trade for Monroe this year because the goal of a basketball team should be to win. In a week East a team featuring Monroe, Smith, Green, Bradley, and Rondo with Sully, Turner, Smart, etc. off of the bench could compete. And winning might help Monroe want to resign with us.

Would would also still have a ton of future draft picks for future moves and development of players. We cannot just keep stocking up picks, you eventually have to get some talent with those picks.

I also understand why a lot of people don't like Josh Smith but us dumping Wallace's contract alone should make us consider this. Once Smith is back to the PF position and is playing with a pass first/set up your team mate point guard, I also see his numbers going up and his shot selection improving.

As far as Kelly or Sully, I would trade either one, and would allow Detroit to select who they wanted. I just thought Kelly would be more appealing to them because I think he is a better fit with Drummond.

Thanks for the good thoughts guys!

The follow up question then is would the Celtics have the cap room needed to offer Monroe the contract needed?

Otherwise, the team just gave up way to much future assets for Josh Smith.  A near star, not a star they need.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The follow up question then is would the Celtics have the cap room needed to offer Monroe the contract needed?
And the follow-up to the follow-up is whether they think said contract will be a good investment.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And the follow-up to the follow-up is whether they think said contract will be a good investment.

If they don't, then this whole idea stops at the trade proposal idea, and nothing is lost in terms of assets. 

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

If they don't, then this whole idea stops at the trade proposal idea, and nothing is lost in terms of assets.

I would think its worthwhile, there are so few legit Centers in the league.  And the thing is, we are legit C away from relevance. 

If we can't Hibbert, Horford or Sanders--- what other attainable big WOULD you want to pay?

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sullinger was decent last night.

The airballed three and he was 0 for 3 from down town.   He had more than 1 TO shown in the box.  I saw 2-3 passed go out of bounds but had some nice passes.   Always below par on D and got pushed around by skinny Perk. He is always great on the boards. I 'd said he had an average night  for him.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I can't imagine any way Ainge will trade for Smith.

A KO and picks for Monroe swap makes a huge amount of sense for both teams.  KO would space the floor far better for Drummond and Smith or Detroit could use the extra picks to ship Smith out.  But I don't think there's any way you can give up much of value for Monroe when you're prohibiting from signing him to an extension and he can walk as a free agent for nothing.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I would think its worthwhile, there are so few legit Centers in the league.  And the thing is, we are legit C away from relevance. 

If we can't Hibbert, Horford or Sanders--- what other attainable big WOULD you want to pay?

I like Monroe.  I would be happy to have him.  But the Celtics would not gain his bird rights in a trade.  They could only offer him the exact same contract they can offer him now in the next offseason.

So the question remains if they make this move, would they have the cap room to be able to sign him without his Bird rights?  If not, it is not a really good move.