Author Topic: Bass "the elephant in the room"  (Read 2811 times)

Bass "the elephant in the room"
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
In response to the Kevin O' Conner article, which I agree with.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/11/11/7192201/addressing-the-elephant-brandon-bass-tyler-zeller-playing-time-in-the-boston-celtics-locker-room

Who says know to this idea.

Rockets get Bass

Celtics get knicks 2015 2nd rd pick, rights to Gentile or Todorovic

(this works due to Linn's trade exception)

Rockets, they add a good rotational big to a young group of PFs. He should fit in very well with their core.

Celtics, they need to move bass as the article states. This trade brings them the rights to a nice young prospect.  and a relatively valuable 2nd round pick. It also opens up a roster spot to sign a non guaranteed player and possible trade Thorton in a 2 for 1 down the road to a team in need of bench scoring.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Bass "the elephant in the room"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The Bass/Howard didn't work out too well in Orlando, if I remember correctly.

I like Bass here, I think this Celtic team is in position to sneak into the playoffs and I think Bass helps. Why give up a solid vet PF with an expiring for cap relief and mid-level prospects? We will have a more than enough prospects coming through in the next couple years with all the draft picks. I say hold onto Bass and other expiring contracts in case a superstar around the league wants out. Boston's expiring contracts combined with draft picks could facilitate something much bigger. At worst, like I said, we have a vet PF who can help and that's expiring.

Edit - I didn't read the article until after my post. I think more minute allocation for Zeller would be a good thing. Bass is a big boy, he can handle getting paid almost $7 million this season in very limited use. I still say keep him here.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
You have to consider and prepare for injury, someone will goes down during the long season
we don't need more 2nd rounders, if it's a 1st then i will do it

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
You have to consider and prepare for injury, someone will goes down during the long season

I agree the injury prep but the fact is the Cs have more players who deserve minutes then there are minutes to give out. Bass is good enough to be the 3rd big on a good team. He is currently the Cs 4th big. With Green and Wallace capable of playing small ball 4 and Vitor coming back at some point I don't think this will be a problem. Also reading the below article I think the Cs can find a serviceable 4th FA big out of likes of Tyrus Thomas, Ivan Johnson, Earl Clark and Dante Cunningham.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-notable-players-still-in-free-agent-pool/
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I agree the injury prep but the fact is the Cs have more players who deserve minutes then there are minutes to give out. Bass is good enough to be the 3rd big on a good team. He is currently the Cs 4th big. With Green and Wallace capable of playing small ball 4 and Vitor coming back at some point I don't think this will be a problem. Also reading the below article I think the Cs can find a serviceable 4th FA big out of likes of Tyrus Thomas, Ivan Johnson, Earl Clark and Dante Cunningham.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-notable-players-still-in-free-agent-pool/

I'd worry about bringing in either Thomas or Ivan Johnson for chemistry reasons; neither have sparkling reputations as teammates. What's the upside for either of them, anyways?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't think Bass ever had much trade value.  He was always supposed to be a back-up big.   He was brought here as a replacement for Glen Davis as our 3rd string big man.  Rondo needs bigs who can make mid-range shots... it allows him to penetrate inside.  Davis worked hard on the shot, but Bass was always a lot better at it.  Trade made sense.  Bass would have been a solid bench big.

We traded for him in December 9th 2011.  Boston thought they were going to be signing David West. In fact, on December 10th, 2011 there was an article about us being close to signing David WEst. http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7337518/boston-celtics-deal-new-orleans-hornets-david-west-report-says ... But then surprisingly West signed with the Pacers on the 11th. A week later on December 17, Jeff Green was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm and it was reported he'd miss the season. So really, the starting lineup was supposed to include David West and KG. Jeff Green was supposed to back up Pierce/West. Bass was probably going to split minutes off the bench with Nenad Kristic, but Kristic never came back to the Celtics after the lockout. Suddenly, Green, West and Krstic were off the table and Brandon Bass ends up our starter by default. 15 minutes is about as much as that guy should be receiving for any team.   Maybe we get a 2nd rounder for him at this point, but I also figure he's a mid-season buyout candidate if we fall out of playoff contention. 

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Correlation =/= causation. The idea that Bass was supposed to back up West doesn't hold much basis in reality -- although it's true that Bass was traded for because Ainge wanted to replace Davis, and because Big Baby was apparently on Dwight's short list and the Magic were trying to keep him happy.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Correlation =/= causation. The idea that Bass was supposed to back up West doesn't hold much basis in reality -- although it's true that Bass was traded for because Ainge wanted to replace Davis, and because Big Baby was apparently on Dwight's short list and the Magic were trying to keep him happy.
Having Brandon Bass as the default starting big has been a flaw of this this team for a long time.  It's like if Rondo, Smart, Turner and Thornton all went down with injury and Phil Pressey became our starting PG.  Doesn't mean Phil Pressey should be a starting PG. 

Bass as a starting PF was always the result of dumb luck and a regressing team.  He's a backup.  I could see him getting 10 minutes a night on a good team.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Having Brandon Bass as the default starting big has been a flaw of this this team for a long time.  It's like if Rondo, Smart, Turner and Thornton all went down with injury and Phil Pressey became our starting PG.  Doesn't mean Phil Pressey should be a starting PG. 

Bass as a starting PF was always the result of dumb luck and a regressing team.  He's a backup.  I could see him getting 10 minutes a night on a good team.

Bass spent 3 seasons getting 20 or so minutes a game on 50 win teams before he even came to Boston.