Author Topic: I tried stand up again last night  (Read 2401 times)

I tried stand up again last night
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:34:26 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:33:39 PM by Beat LA »

Re: I tried stand up again last night
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Is it a hobby or a dream? 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I had time, so I just watched all of your stand up videos (unless the hurricane one was a comedy video- I didn't watch that one). There was a lot of good and some things to improve upon.

Overall, I liked your performance. Your stage presence got a lot better as the uploads progresssed chronologically. I think I see where you want to go- a slightly-introverted narrator who is expounding his thoughts for the enjoyment of others. I really liked your opener from the one about 8 months ago I believe (something about being a "run of the mill millenial who spits out words of fire from the bowels of the parents' basement"). That was really clever. You have this uncanny ability to win over a following; you captivate a group of people early and then they laugh wildly the rest of the way (even for the not so funny jokes). It's really cool, and it's a relatively rare public speaking trait.

In your other post, you mentioned how you knew some people would not be interested due to the sensitive topic. You do a decent job of mitigating this. However, I think you could have a real power play by using the initial surprise that you get to your advantage. Often, people would shout out loud exclamations only to lose interest because no one acknowledges them. I don't know the rules of where you were, but if you could engage in an impromptu, bombastic conversation with the person, you would catch attention while also encouraging cheering. This would help you through simple social proof.

On another note, I think you alienate some (alienate is too strong a word, but it's the only one I can think of right now) people with your, shall I say, lexical prowess. You come across as very intelligent, but some of your punchlines are hard to follow. I too am quite wordy, but from personal experiance, it is better to "dumb down" the wording of the jokes. It lets people relax more and let loose more easily. Your jokes were incredibly clever, and I'm not saying to take that away. But you may find that going back to more crude phrasings will get more laughs for the same joke.

All in all, though, I really liked them. My only other advice would be have fun. You look a little tense at times. Once again, I don't know the rules of the club or the amount of "BSing" skills you possess, but it's never a bad thing to wing it every once in a while.   

PS: I also liked your "Get Lucky" reference in the Olympics video ;) 

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 01:42:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji