Author Topic: Flowers  (Read 1747 times)

Flowers
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Ok, this is a little embarrassing.  I've been married more than 25 years and I am not the most romantic guy.  Neurotic and unromantic -- sounds great, doesn't it? 

I've bought flowers for my wife several times over the years but always feel like a dufus when I do.   I never really know what to ask for.   

My wife is very practical and not extravagent.  Understated elegance is probably a good way to describe her tastes -- gentle and demure, rather than showy or grand.

Whether you are a flower buyer or a flower receiver in your relationship, do you have any suggestions for me regarding buying flowers for my wife? 

If giving advice on purchasing, be detailed -- even specifically how to ask at the flourist.  Pretend you are instructing a five year old.

Thanks!

Re: Flowers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
no worries, been there before myself.  my advice?  hit up 1800-flowers, get her something featuring Day Lilies. 
Pretty, but not guilt inducing like roses...

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My advice....ask the florist exactly what you just asked us.

I know that sounds lame, but that is their job.  Trust them to do it.  I, like you, am not the most romantic person on earth, but I have been smart enough to figure out ways to fake it over the years.

Obviously, despite your "neurotic and unromantic" nature you must be doing something right.  25 years of marriage is a long time.  Congrats!

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Red roses, white calla lilies, silver vase.

Classic with a touch of modern, not overly flashy but elegant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
All great advice so far.  Very much appreciated!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
go with the floral arrangement and vase suggested by Roy, but ask for sterling silver roses, that is bound to impress. Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I typically go with a preset arrangement and I pick what looks good.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
My advice....ask the florist exactly what you just asked us.

I know that sounds lame, but that is their job.  Trust them to do it.  I, like you, am not the most romantic person on earth, but I have been smart enough to figure out ways to fake it over the years.

Obviously, despite your "neurotic and unromantic" nature you must be doing something right.  25 years of marriage is a long time.  Congrats!
you were faster than me. yes, ASK THE FLORIST WHAT TO GIVE! you ask mechanics when your car does something you dont understand. you ask a tax consultant similarly.

the florist has everything to gain and probably would love to help someone out. get thee to a florist.

p.s. as a present, go beyond a dinner, etc. i strongly suggest you give her a nice card with you writing in it: "This card is good for one entire day off from laundry, cleaning, and cooking. I will do them for you. Use when wanted or needed."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
yeah but when you go to the mechanic and you don't know what you are doing some mechanics will take you to the cleaners. If you just defer to the florist you may get the sold the flowers that they are trying to move. It is not a bad idea to go in with your eyes wide open.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:15:31 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Red roses if you're delivering them to her at work.