Author Topic: Would this team win a championship  (Read 6357 times)

Re: Would this team win a championship
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No.

Lack of offense and just a go-to scorer, in general, would be this team's downfall.  Also, find yourself a legit center and move K.O. to the bench as a rotation guy.

You're also banking on a lot of potential here and best case scenarios which almost never happen in the NBA.

I agree with this post.
seconded

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 08:27:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
All this team needs is Doc Rivers as coach, and it will win the championship today. ???  ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
not even close. It's a great defensive squad, but straight-up bad offensively. You need both offense and defense to win a championship. This squad would be arguably worse than the current C's... Ibaka is an upgrade over Sully but Green->Gordon and Rondo->Smart are clear downgrades.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
it depends. are they in the d league or the nba? if the d league, then they have a good shot at the championship. if they are in the nba, no chance in hell do they sniff the playoffs.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
no spacing on the floor and the offense would be putrid. Not sold on Gordon either.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »

fitzhickey

They'd be more likely to get a top 3 pick in the draft.
Definitely. No go to scorer, overall lack of scoring punch and star power. No way could this team win a championship.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Teams with that many young players no matter how talented cannot contend for a title. Typically it takes at least until they're 24-25 before their body is mature and they have enough game experience to even think about going deep into the playoffs. Sure with the East being so shallow you might be able to sniff the second round but that doesn't really mean you're an actual contender, just that your conference sucks.

If 4-5 years that team might be pretty solid, but Gordon and Smart would have to become good shooters and Olynyk probably shouldn't be starting if you're trying to be a defensive team.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:34 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Not even close.

smart (can't shoot)
bradley (too small)
arron gordon (can't play)
ibaka (not on the market)
olynyk (not a center)

And on top of that I'd rather have Gasol than Ibaka if we're just wishing for big-men for Christmas.

Let's try a move for the Hawk's Horford and Korver and take a swing at Gasol in the offseason.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mn68x2t

Add in two 1sts (Clippers and ours this year) and it is a smart trade for them going forward. They will lose Milsap next year and probably won't add enough to keep Horford after next. Teague is a stopgap and sale + rebuild is imminent. No free agents are going there to contend in the next 2 years so it's probably best to sell while Horford is healthy.

Some people are mentioning that Big Al is a freeagent next season but his foot injuries worry me a lot more than Horford's pectoral issues. Big guys + foot injuries = sadness.

If we decide to keep Rondo I'd say Horford or Gasol are the answers moving forward. If we don't you'll probably see a similar team to what OP posted sans Ibaka...which is to say a really bad team.

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
Any team with Kelly Olynyk on the team will not be the best defensive team in the league. I dont think they would win a championship this year but maybe 3 years down the road.

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Any team with Kelly Olynyk on the team will not be the best defensive team in the league. I dont think they would win a championship this year but maybe 3 years down the road.

The odds of that team winning a title 3 years down the road is roughly the same as the odds our current team with no major additions will win a title 3 years down the road.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The odds of that team winning a title 3 years down the road is roughly the same as the odds our current team with no major additions will win a title 3 years down the road.
depends on whether or not Aaron Gordon can become a premier scorer and #1 option. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
After play 5-6 years together maybe but not likely. The lack of a go to scorer would be a major fault. Replace Gordon with a future 20+pt guy and maybe.

If the Cs grow a team contender out of their youth I would look for the following,

Smart
AB
Scoring SF
Sully
True Center

6th KO
7th Young (unless he becomes the scoring SF)

If 4 of those starters are capable of playing at an allstar level then you have a team that can contend when they are all in their late 20s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

depends on whether or not Aaron Gordon can become a premier scorer and #1 option.

Which I would peg as "doubftul".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Teams with that many young players no matter how talented cannot contend for a title. Typically it takes at least until they're 24-25 before their body is mature and they have enough game experience to even think about going deep into the playoffs. Sure with the East being so shallow you might be able to sniff the second round but that doesn't really mean you're an actual contender, just that your conference sucks.

Plus a bunch of guys on rookie deals generally leads to a lot of tension as guys jockey for minutes/stats to help their earning potential for the second contract.

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Which I would peg as "doubftul".

I'm not sure if the odds of that are higher or lower than Olynyk becoming a plus defender, but I'd say they're pretty similar at least.