Author Topic: JaValle McGee buy low?  (Read 4569 times)

Re: JaValle McGee buy low?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The cap space Boston would be giving up is more valuable than McGee is.

So for me it's no deal.

What if Wallace was going out? Who has an almost identical contract.

I wouldn't do it without including GW.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

So for me it's no deal.

Yeah, that is definitely worth considering. I am not sure where I come down on it though.

On one hand, McGee is a much more useful piece to have given Boston's lack of a center. On the other hand, I worry about how disruptive McGee would be and how much he may harm the development of younger players & team spirit.

Actually, I'd still pass on McGee. Too much trouble. Boston does not have the veteran leadership required to keep him in check. Just too much trouble.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'

So for me it's no deal.

Yeah, that is definitely worth considering. I am not sure where I come down on it though.

On one hand, McGee is a much more useful piece to have given Boston's lack of a center. On the other hand, I worry about how disruptive McGee would be and how much he may harm the development of younger players & team spirit.

Actually, I'd still pass on McGee. Too much trouble. Boston does not have the veteran leadership required to keep him in check. Just too much trouble.
I'd swap Wallace for McGee in a heartbeat.
Don't think Denver sees any reason to do that deal.
As for a lack of vet presence to keep McGee in check...
I don't think that's what the kid needs. I think he needs a coach who can work him into a role and minimize his weaknesses. Case in point the defensive scheme built around Big Al's weaknesses.
McGee would also benefit from rondo's orchestration. Some easy feeds for thundering dunks would do more to keep him engaged and eager to work to stay on the floor would do more for his game than any vet screaming in his ear.

If he could be acquired for penuts I don't care about his salary.
There's like 2-3 marquee big man FA's next summer. LMA, Gassol and Monroe.
LMA is not a defensive shot blocker type
Monroe is breaking out but not the defender shot blocker type
Gassol is big time (remember back when he came in to the leage he was roundly dismissed as the  totaly inferior Gassol, shows what we know) But he's unlikely to leave the griz.

So McGee's contract isn't that disabling. He's a FA in 2017 and we can go play with Wic's money then.

As an aside, big al is in the top 5 in blocked shots. How did that happen?

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

So for me it's no deal.

If the cost to swap them was a late first, I think I'd do it.

McGee has certainly had his BBIQ questioned, but as far as I know he's never been a bad guy or trouble maker.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If we're going to trade for a questionable big, why not just get Perk and be done with it?  OKC would clearly consider it if we offered them Wallace and the Clippers 1st.  At least then we'd have a pro the other bigs could learn from, not a flake we'd worry about being a bad example.

Mike

Because Perkins has zero upside and McGee has Deandre-Jordan-esque upside

Not to mention OKC is not nearly as willing to move Perk as most casual fans think.

They value his big brother role and he still does effective things on the basketball court that don't really show in a box score.

Not to mention, there's no logical scenario where OKC will effectively double down on a big money contract for a grossly overpaid player by exchanging Perkins' expiring for Wallace's contract with another year left past this season.

"Hey, KD, we know your free agency comes up in 2016, so we tied up our cap space in Gerald Wallace! But we got a late first rounder out of it!"

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd be down but I think Gerald needs to go out in such a deal.

The only way that has a chance of happening would be if Wilson Chandler was coming to the Celtics as part of the deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would have been very interested in McGee three years ago.  But he hasn't improved at all, has been unable to beat out several average centers for minutes and has been hurt.  He isn't very good and I don't think he has a bunch of untapped potential anymore.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
McGee has certainly had his BBIQ questioned, but as far as I know he's never been a bad guy or trouble maker.

Javale McGee is the guy who did this:

With time running out in a blowout, Washington's JaVale McGee found himself with 12 rebounds, 12 blocks — and 9 points. You think he wanted that triple-double? The final 3:43 of the game consisted solely of McGee taking shots and turning the ball over as Chicago continued to score.

And then, with 18 seconds left, McGee finally got his dunk, screaming and hanging on the rim like he'd just won a title. In reality, the Wizards were down 20, and on their way to being a 16-50 team, and he was whistled for excessive celebration. A very JaVale McGee triple-double.

He's also the guy who did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ktFeyCMotGs

I haven't seen anything to convince me he is a different guy mentally now that he is off the Wizards.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Javale McGee is the guy who did this:

With time running out in a blowout, Washington's JaVale McGee found himself with 12 rebounds, 12 blocks — and 9 points. You think he wanted that triple-double? The final 3:43 of the game consisted solely of McGee taking shots and turning the ball over as Chicago continued to score.

And then, with 18 seconds left, McGee finally got his dunk, screaming and hanging on the rim like he'd just won a title. In reality, the Wizards were down 20, and on their way to being a 16-50 team, and he was whistled for excessive celebration. A very JaVale McGee triple-double.

He's also the guy who did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ktFeyCMotGs

I haven't seen anything to convince me he is a different guy mentally now that he is off the Wizards.

This is why he's buy low. He has this reputation.

There are lots and lots of guys in professional sports who had huge abilities and huge attitude problems... some of them washed out and got pinned with the narrative that they never had the heart to make it, and some of them turned into superstars and everyone forgot they were boneheads. Demarcus Cousins seems to be the latest NBA player making the turn.

I'd rather take a chance on one of them than have Gerald Wallace rotting away on the bench.

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
While I don't think McGee is necessarily the long-term answer I'd be willing to deal Wallace and 1, maybe 2 2nd rounders for him. At least McGee would play and his contract would be more moveable than Wallace's if needs be. It's also possible that in a contract year next season he will be motivated to play his best. I don't think Denver would go for this though, they'd probably need at least a late first-rounder. If that is the case I'd have to think about it because first rounders are so valuable these days.

Though, how many young players can the Celtics actually draft? With all these picks the Celtics will eventually have to trade some of them. I'd wait until the trade deadline to ensure the Clippers pick is not going to be better than expected, then see if there are any other deals that make sense (Larry Sanders?).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that early 2nd rounders could actually be more valuable than late 1sts due to the lack of a guarantee. I'd rather hold on to an early 2nd than a late 1st if that's how it looks the picks are headed.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I'd rather take a chance on one of them than have Gerald Wallace rotting away on the bench.

Giving up Wallace for McGee is a no-brainer.  Giving up a first as part of the deal?  Not so much.

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 01:06:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Incredible athlete, but BBIQ south of fab melo.