Author Topic: What's up with Doc's Clippers?  (Read 16216 times)

Re: What's up with Doc's Clippers?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Doc was a great coach here.  What's with all the bashing?

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wonder if he plays head games with CP3 like he did with Rondo while coddling other guys like he did with Ray.

No Thibs and no KG and no Clifford Ray = no defense. Doc isn't going to come in anywhere and improve the defense of any team or the competitiveness. 

In 2007-08 he had some very hungry players. He has guys that like to make insurance and car commercials now.  They're very talented, but they aren't hungry like a Duncan or a Kobe or a Durant or even a Lebron. 

There's not much difference between them and the Blazers or the Warriors or the Griz.  They're good, not great, and don't have much idea about becoming great.

That's why I am loving the pick of Marcus Smart. I think he's hungry.

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Doc was a great coach here.  What's with all the bashing?
because he wasn't a great coach.  he was a mediocre coach that had great players that wanted to win a title. 

He's still mediocre but he doesn't have players that are as good as what he had here.  he won't work the miracles in LA that would justify giving up their first rounder this year.  hoping they slide in the standings enough to make their pick a really nice one

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm curious -- where's the criteria for good/great/mediocre coach coming from?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

When Bobby Knight was at Indiana people said he could take his team and beat yours, then take your team and beat his. That's a good description of a good coach, although not really criteria you can apply in this discussion. It's worth pointing out that, while we're discussing whether someone's a good coach or not, people can't even agree about how much influence Doc had on his team, and how responsible he was for how well coached the team was.

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The LA Clippers have just won 6 games in a row......and they're still in second to last place in the West.  That division is BONKERS right now, it's like 80% of the league's talent is in there.

Golden State     15-2
Memphis            15-3
Portland            14-4
Houston            14-4
Dallas                15-5
San Antonio       13-5
La Clippers        13-5
Phoenix             11-8

Sac Town            9-9
Denver                9-9
New Orleans       8-8
OKC                    5-13

Look at that nonsense!  If anything goes remotely wrong with Griffin or Paul, we're getting a second lotto pick.  Conversely, .500 Milwaukee is in 6th place in the East after being the worst team in the NBA last year.

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

When Bobby Knight was at Indiana people said he could take his team and beat yours, then take your team and beat his. That's a good description of a good coach, although not really criteria you can apply in this discussion. It's worth pointing out that, while we're discussing whether someone's a good coach or not, people can't even agree about how much influence Doc had on his team, and how responsible he was for how well coached the team was.

On a related point, a lot of people say that Thibodeau was a big reason for our success.

Does that mean that hiring good assistants doesn't count as part of being a good coach?

And back to D's question, I would submit that anyone who wins a championship qualifies as "good." Maybe not great, but certainly good. And doing it by beating peak Kobe with Phil Jackson on the other sideline doesn't hurt.